• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

For Anime Fans-Your ideas about an "Anime Tarot"

Merlion

First Post
I've composed an "Anime Tarot" list, with anime characters as each of the 22 cards of the Major Arcana. I did it, this time, trying not to use multiple characters from the same anime (I did use Paranoia Agent twice). Allowing for that might have different results...I'd like to know what others think. I'll probably post some ideas too for possible more apropriate atributions that involve other characters from anime I've already mentioned. Feel free to bring in Minor Arcana too.

Noata, from FLCL, as The Fool

Edward Elric, from Fullmetal Alchemist, as The Magician

Twilight Suzuka, from Outlaw Star, as The High Priestess

Ubaba, from Spirited Away, as The Empress

Kambei Shimada, from Samurai 7, as The Emperor

The Washi, from Haibane-Renmei, as the Hierophant

Kohta, Yuka, and Lucy/Nyu, from Elfen Lied, as The Lovers

Ban Mido, from Get Backers, as The Chariot

Misae Ikari, from Paranoia Agent, as Strength

Bear, from .hack//SIGN as The Hermit

Hikari and Akari, from This Ugly Yet Beautiful World, as The Wheel of Fortune

Kenshin Himura, from Ruroni Kenshin, as Justice

Kaworu Nagisa, from Evangelion, as The Hanged Man

Alucard, from Hellsing, as Death

Quon Kitsuragi, from RahXephon, as Temperance

Lil’Slugger, from Paranoia Agent, as The Devil

The Tower of Tropheum, from Air Gear, as The Tower

The Melody of Oblivion, from The Melody of Oblivion, as The Star

Boogiepop Phantom, from Boogiepop Phantom, as The Moon

Son Goku, from Saiyuki, as The Sun

The Moby Dick, from Hakugei: Legend of the Moby Dick, as Judgment

Lain Iwakura, from Serial Experiements: Lain, as The World

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Don't know most of those, but I'm sure that if it's related to both Anime and D&D, it needs to include The Slayers, at least Lina Inverse.

Cheers, -- N

Attachments

• Slayers-group.jpg
    Slayers-group.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 102

TwinBahamut

First Post
There is a distressing lack of Haruhi Suzumiya in this list... I guess she would be The World, maybe?

I see Bear as The Hermit. Not bad, but if you want a .hack character for The Hermit, I think Phyllo from .hack//Roots is a better match.

With all the attributions of The Fool as a place of begining, a young man deliberatly walking off a cliff, and future potential, it pretty much is required that a stereotypical Shonen anime main hero is The Fool. I nominate Naruto Uzumaki.

Lil'Slugger is a great devil.

I'd need to look over the details of the meanings and symbolism of the major arcana in order to give more advice. Maybe later.

TwinBahamut

First Post
Well, it turns out later ended up meaning just a few minutes.

I think Edward Elric is just about perfect as The Magician.

The High Priestess is a tough one. Silence, wisdom from the unconscious, contemplation, mystery... I guess any of the classic anime heroine who mysteriously offers or obtains secret information. Melfina from Outlaw Star is a better fit than Twilight Suzuka, really. I wonder if there is anyone more iconic... Hitomi from Escaflowne, maybe?

You need a motherly (and probably beautiful) figure for The Empress. Also, someone who can be paired well with The Emperor would be nice. I am tempted to say Mai from Mai-HiME would be a good match (though paired with Kagutsuchi, she would be a great Strength).

A powerful, ruling or fatherly figure is needed for The Emperor. Holland from Eureka 7, or Quattro Bajeena (Char Aznable) from Zeta Gundam are the closest matches I can think of, but maybe a main character would be better?

The Heirophant is another tough one. I never saw Haibane-Renmei, so I don't know your example... The Third Hokage from Naruto wouldn't be bad (though this makes me wonder if a full Naruto deck can be constructed).

For The Lovers, you just need a great anime couple, probably from some anime in which the romance is the point of the whole thing. Miyaka and Tamahome from Fushigi Yugi, for example.

The Chariot must be a Gundam. Not a Gundam pilot, just a Gundam. Nothing else in anime fits so well.

I think I might suggest more later.

Edit: I was just thinking... Aura from .hack is pretty much the ultimate "The World" figure, even ignoring the pun. Also from .hack, either Haseo or Tri-Edge/Kite/Azure Flame God would be a good The Death, but that would be better for more of a .hack or videogame tarot deck.

Last edited:

Rackhir

Explorer
Ataru Moroboshi from Urusei Yatsura, might work for The Tower. He was born on a friday the thirteenth, on the unluckiest day of the Buddhist calendar. His parents broke a mirror on the way to the hospital. A black cat crossed their path, etc... In short about every bad omen possible happened to him. An irrepressible womanizer, he has a girl friend/wife who zaps him with 100,000 volts of electricity every time he looks at another woman.

Son Goku from Dragon Ball Z probably deserves a card in there somewhere. He's incredibly strong and powerful and always manages to find a way to win. He's also totally pure of heart. I don't know the cards well enough to know what he'd fit though.

Desslar from Space Cruiser Yamato would be a good fit for the Emperor.

Last edited:

TwinBahamut said:
A powerful, ruling or fatherly figure is needed for The Emperor. Holland from Eureka 7, or Quattro Bajeena (Char Aznable) from Zeta Gundam are the closest matches I can think of, but maybe a main character would be better?

I'd say Char, no question. He's an icon of anime and really does fit the 'role' very well with his place in Zeta. That and...well, he's Char.

The Chariot must be a Gundam. Not a Gundam pilot, just a Gundam. Nothing else in anime fits so well.

And not just any Gundam, either. The RX-78. The original. The real one. The best one.

...I couldn't possibly be showing a bit of bias towards a particular series, could I? :cool:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
TwinBahamut said:
For The Lovers, you just need a great anime couple, probably from some anime in which the romance is the point of the whole thing. Miyaka and Tamahome from Fushigi Yugi, for example.

Keiichi and Belldandy from Oh My Goddess seem perfect. Any couple that's willing to defy God to stay together seems like a good pair for this card.

TwinBahamut

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
I'd say Char, no question. He's an icon of anime and really does fit the 'role' very well with his place in Zeta. That and...well, he's Char.
Yeah, you are right. The real question now is what female character in anime would be a good match for Char as the Empress? Haman Karn is the only woman who can match Char's presence in the UC series, but she isn't exactly very motherly, and most of the other significant and interesting female leaders and pilots in the various Gundam series are in Gundam SEED, and don't have as much wisespread recognition as Char.

And not just any Gundam, either. The RX-78. The original. The real one. The best one.

...I couldn't possibly be showing a bit of bias towards a particular series, could I? :cool:
The RX-78 looks silly. :p The first Gundam's design really suffers from being the first real-robot lead mecha... The mass-produced RX-79s and the Gundam Mk-II look a lot better, even though they are intended to be virtually identical to the RX-78, simply because they are drawn in a more appropriate art style.

YourSwordIsMine

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:

Yes, very good choice.

I would also recommend Roy Focker from Macross or the SDF-1 Macross itself.

Ankh-Morpork Guard said:

If you go with Gundam you have to use the RX-78. Accept no substitutes!

Remove ads