• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

For the EN World Metalheads: Album of the Year

Kurashu

First Post
As the year winds down -- it's almost Thanksgiving already -- the inevitable topic of album of the year comes up. So, what are you contenders or list for album of the year? Does anyone predict an upset like Pig Destroyer in '07?

I suspect that Metallica's Death Magnetic, Slipknot's All Hope Is Gone, Meshuggah's obZen and Opeth's Watershed will get a lot of love as well as Dream Theater's greatest hits if only because those albums are from mainstays of metal. Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder from Cradle of Filth will probably get some attention. And who can forget Chinese Democracy?

My personal list so far: (no particular order, and only off the top of my head)
Gojira - The Way Of All Flesh (okay, I said no order, but this is my number one)
Origin - Antithesis
Soilent Green - Inevitable Collapse
Genghis Tron - Board Up The House
Ansur - Warring Faction
The Human Abstract - Midheaven
Psycroptic - ob(servant)
Opeth - Watershed

And apparently Darkthrone released an album? How come no one told me?

Nyaricus

First Post
As the year winds down -- it's almost Thanksgiving already -- the inevitable topic of album of the year comes up. So, what are you contenders or list for album of the year? Does anyone predict an upset like Pig Destroyer in '07?

[cut]

And apparently Darkthrone released an album? How come no one told me?
Satyricon has a new one coming out soon as well!! And it's Thanksgiving for you Yankies, us Canucks are already all done with that! :p

My top albums (no order as of right now...)

Alestorm - Captain Morgans Revenge
Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God
Arghoslent - Hornets of the Pogrom
Belphegor - Bondage Goat Zombie
Eluveitie - Slania
Ereb Altor - By Honor
Keep of Kalessin - Kolossus
Origin - Antithesis

I still have yet to listen to:

Cradle of Filth - Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder
Gojira - The Way of all Flesh
Opeth - Watershed

all three bands which I enjoy very much, so it'll be interesting to see which of the three bands fill the last two slots in my top-ten (plus, Satyricons new one, which greatly interests me).

cheers,
--N

Testament

First Post
So far this year:

Alestorm: Captain Morgan's Revenge
Fun with a capital B. Catchy power-metal tunes about swashing buckles, getting drunk, curses, alcohol, treasure, wenches, cannons, wenches and alcohol. Worth getting just for the title track and Wenches and Mead

Opeth - Watershed
Wow. Just WOW. Opeth really delivered with this one, some strong avant garde influences and Mikael Akerfeldt in fine form.

Ihsahn - angL
The title's silly, but he followed up the startling The Adversary in fine style with this one. Ihsahn's clearly been working hard on his clean voice, his vocals on this album are some of the best he's ever done in his long and distinguished career. Emancipation is one of the best things the man's ever done, and considering he was one half of Black Metal's 'John and Paul' with Samoth in Emperor...

Satyricon's The Age of Nero is good, not great. A dependable follow up to Now, Diabolical, but nothing spectacular. Shame, but it seems Mr Wongraven's best may be behind him. Like so many other perfomers, his masterpiece (Nemesis Divinia) is a burden. Haven't heard Darkthrone's new one, but after the massive let down of FOAD, I'm not sure if I'll bother.

And I only picked it up this year, but one of the best of last year is easily Deathspell Omega's Fas - Ite - Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum. Pig Destroyer, Sigh and Primordial all delivered pure gold last year, but the French NOEVDIA kings unleashed pure freaking hell pressed to CD. Cannot wait for them to close out the trilogy begun with Si Monumentum Requires Circumspice.

Switchblade

First Post
Alestorm: Captain Morgan's Revenge
Fun with a capital B. Catchy power-metal tunes about swashing buckles, getting drunk, curses, alcohol, treasure, wenches, cannons, wenches and alcohol. Worth getting just for the title track and Wenches and Mead

Have just bought it recently, great CD, laughted my head of the first time I heard it.
I'm a fan of "Nancy the tavern wench" and "Revenge of Captain Morgan" myself though I do now find myself humming Flower of scotland a lot. A habit I must break before the next Six nations tournament.:heh:

My only other music purchase this year has been Psychosocial (and tickets to see Slipknot next friday :lol:)

Edit: Uh I mean All Hope Is gone, not Pscyhosocial

Testament

First Post
My issue with FOAD is that the songs just weren't really that interesting. And the short turnaround between the two has me a bit worried too. Overwrites? Or cast-offs?

Kurashu

First Post
I haven't heard FOAD personally, but their last two have been in similar fashion as far as genres -- grim and crusty black metal. I don't know about as far their songs go.

Remove ads