• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

For the first time... apprehension

adembroski

First Post
I'm WAY behind the times here.

Apparently the 4th edition announcement was made in August, and here I am in December just learning about it. Partially due to the fact, I suppose, that I spend a tiny fraction of the time online as I did then, partially due to the fact that in that time I have no had a game going (the longest such period since 3rd edition was released).

So I've spent most of the day pouring over the info available (surprisingly little, actually). I was around for the past four editions (AD&D 2nd Edition, AD&D 2nd Edition Player's Option, D&D 3rd Edition, and D&D 3.5) and in each case I can say I was genuinely excited. The only one that failed to live up to my expectations was Player's Option, which was more a matter of balance (the min/maxer's dream) than presentation or quality.

I have no issue with there being a new edition. A company must make money, otherwise there's no point to its existence.

But for the first time I find myself extremely apprehensive.

I get the impression that this edition is inspired not by a long standing role playing tradition nor a century of fantasy literature, as previous versions were. This seems to be the pen and paper son of Everquest, Utima Online, and World of Warcraft.

The core game continues to drift further and further from its Tolkienesque roots; the beautifully simple and recognizable foundation upon which world's can be molded from the DM's mind. In the place of that elegance is an almost forced mythology, with Tieflings... which should always be a DMs option... presented from the outset as a base race.

Further, we have roles which seem to mirror the common class roles in our pure-combat/no-role-play online RPGs. Might as well have cut to the chase and renamed the Fighter class "Tank".

There have been references to "Trees" rather than free form feats. The abominable power tree system from WoW does not free the player, it shackles him.

Dexterity now apparently counts full even when fully armored. One of the most logical and game-balancing changes of the 3rd edition has been scrapped for the sake of character power.

Also from our friends in the MMORPG business, fighters and paladins can now apparently will their opponents to attack them. Will we have a "threat" score as well?

Ah, the Warlord class... how wonderful, a class that can do pretty much the same thing any other class can do with the right skill combination. A warlord is not a class, it's a role.

Power Progression... gone are the days when a world can be defined by its prestige classes, another of the brilliant additions of 3rd edition. Now we are stuck on this destined path where we must reach a given level no matter what organization or devotion we wish to join with. There always were level issues, but they were adjustable... emphasizing the prestige of those with high requirements.

Dragonborn... once again, what should be a DM's discression race available at the outset, force the DM to be the bad guy if the race does not fit his world.

Multiclassing... FYI, sometimes restrictions are good things. To simply allow a character to willy-nilly grab whatever class/race combo they want generally does not make for a great game.

Wizardly implements... again, forcing the mythology of a campaign on us where it will may not fit.

Combat... listen, guys, there comes a point when speeding up combat takes too much complexity from an already simplified system. 3rd edition sped up combat to an astonishing degree. It seems like it's a bit too much of an emphasis at this point considering how well 3rd edition handled it.

4th edition skills focus on encounters... no use rope, no tailor... in other words, you're a video game character now. Stop your role playing, damn it!

Anyways, I'll stop now, I just wanted to get some weight behind my feelings. Maybe some of you can ease my fears, I'm sure I'll get a flame or two. Maybe I'm just overreacting... but I've never been hesitant about a new edition before... those issues just jumped out at me.

BBQ

First Post
Blah, blah, blah... there are a lot of threads about this stuff elsewhere on these forums. I disagree with most of your objections, but I suppose you have a right to your opinion. I just think you need to give it a chance before you get your back up about this.

adembroski said:
There have been references to "Trees" rather than free form feats. The abominable power tree system from WoW does not free the player, it shackles him.

Multiclassing... FYI, sometimes restrictions are good things. To simply allow a character to willy-nilly grab whatever class/race combo they want generally does not make for a great game.

I see a contradiction here... do you want more options or less?

In regards to your first comment about "trees," they refer to the Talent trees that are replacing what are currently class features. Feats are actually being made more free form than they are in 3e, with the removal of most of the large feat-trees that had the effect of locking you into a specific build from 1st level.

eve_of_dante

First Post
adembroski said:
The core game continues to drift further and further from its Tolkienesque roots

4th edition skills focus on encounters... no use rope, no tailor... in other words, you're a video game character now. Stop your role playing, damn it!

Hee hee - I was just reading Races and Classes and remarking on how inspired by the sucess of the LOTR movie the designers seemed to be... there are wood elves and high elves, Wizards have staffs, they kept halfling and made them LOTR sized... They have the Boromir class - the Warlord, and the Aragorn class - the Ranger...

While they've implied that craft isn't a skill, I'm heartened by the way that it's suggested that each character crafts their own implements and armour. There's reference to humans as artists and artisans as well, which sounds quite roleplay-y to me...

PhantomNarrator

First Post
More like an MMO? Shocker.

Why is anyone surprised they're trying to ride the success of WoW? Hasbro doesn't care about people who have been around as long as you have, let alone the grognards who cut their teeth on OD&D like me. They want to market to 14 year olds, or people with the minds of 14 year olds. The only influences these twinks have are MMO's and anime, since most of them are functionally illiterate. When you say Lord of the Rings they might think of the Peter Jackson movies, maybe. Expect more big eyes and stupid hairdos in the art too, even worse than the "punk" look of 3.X.

But I'm just a grumpy old grognard, what do I know? This day was bound to come sooner or later. The murder of Dragon magazine and the new subscription scam mark the passing of an age. It'll be called D&D, but it sure as hell won't feel like D&D to me.

Will

First Post
PhantomNarrator. I'm a gamer in my thirties, have enjoyed RPGs for most of my life and enjoy MMOs.

I'm trying to think of a polite way to respond to you basically calling me a :):):):)ing idiot.

adembroski

First Post
jasonbostwick said:
I see a contradiction here... do you want more options or less?

There should be a give and take. Class + feats + skills establish the physical of what is in your head, and to allow it to be too free form ruins the balance of the game (see Players Option), while too little option causes the characters to become stale (see OD&D). There shouldn't be simply follow the line and pick a path, you MUST go through these three feats to get to the one you want (this existed to a limited extent in 3e as well, to be sure, but creating this talent tree seems more restrictive. That said, see below the rest of your quote.

In regards to your first comment about "trees," they refer to the Talent trees that are replacing what are currently class features. Feats are actually being made more free form than they are in 3e, with the removal of most of the large feat-trees that had the effect of locking you into a specific build from 1st level.

Ah! I see, thank you... that was the type of reassurance I was hoping for when I made this thread.

Last edited:

KingCrab

First Post
I agree with you on a couple of things (mostly the amount of unwanted flavor about to be forced upon us in core), disagree with you on the others. For anyone coming back to EN World in the middle of the 4e debates that occur here, I'll say there are a LOT of threads to read on basically everything you've mentioned.

pawsplay

Hero
adembroski said:
But for the first time I find myself extremely apprehensive.

Rest assured, you are not alone. There are a lot of great threads and some very interesting ideas have been hashed out here in the past weeks. There are some premature 4e converts already, and some people have already adopted a bunker mentality, but I think the vast majority of the forum posters here are feeling some mixture of excitement, apprehension, ambivlance, and curiosity. The general sense seems to be that most people are going to buy in eventually, but if you don't want to, nobody here is going to make you. I am happy you stopped in and I hope you will stay for the conversation.

My condolences on the lack of a gaming group.

Remove ads