• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

For those who don't generally like to use Campaign Settings, what's your favorite one?

Evenglare

Adventurer
So Im sure most of you are like me and enjoy creating your own worlds and generally avoid using premade campaign settings. That being said do you enjoy looking at any other settings? Of course anyone can feel free to post your favorite ones, but this topic was aimed generally towards those who don't use them normally. It may be novels, for tabletop campaign settings, or... hell even video game worlds if you are so inclined.

For me personally? I LOVE reading about Rokugan. It's by far my favorite setting, with Dragonlance coming in at a close second.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This is the general RPG forum, so I am not restricting myself to D&D.

When I'm running "generic fantasy", I don't normally use campaign settings, and I don't even have a favorite one to steal from.

However, the stock setting for Classic Deadlands is just chock full of adventure seeds. I don't see any reason why I'd run the game in any other setting, because the setting is awesome.

The Dark*Matter setting for Alternity (which is sadly, out of print) is also pretty darned awesome, and is one of my favorite setting books of all time, for any RPG.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Ah yeah. I didn't imply that this was just D&D settings if this topic was pointing in that direction my mistake. I haven't looked at deadlands, I'll check it out though.

For D&D, I prefer the Al-Qadim setting. For "generic" fantasy (and by that I mean tongue-in-cheek insanity inducing dark humor)*, I tend to run games in the Old World Warhammer setting when I'm not running a setting I've fabricated.

*Yeah, I know. Your definition of generic and mine probably have nothing in common. :)

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
I liked Planescape a lot, but it ran into the same problem though not as badly as Forgotten Realms: OVERdevelopment.

I like two settings from OtherWorld Creations, Inc.: Diomin, a dark fantasy setting that leaves a lot open to the DM and gives cultural reasons for class restrictions. The other is Forbidden Kingdoms, a pulp novel emulating meta-setting that I continually call a better d20 Modern than well, d20 Modern. That has a lot to do with firearm firing options being functions of the weapon rather than functions of the character. I don't entirely mind that, being good at triple fire or something should be a feat, simply being able to do it should not.

Eberron. Enjoy the game and the villians / sub-plots to use. Idea of low magic that is plentiful is easy for the DM to manage also.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Right now Thule, just like the primeval and exploration that the setting allows, it is a rough and tumble setting that my players seem to fit in and enjoy more.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
For 3e D&D there was a setting called Ghelspad that was pretty neat. Had "post Gods vs Titans War apocalyptic" feel to it with tons of unique monsters.

I don't like Eclipse Phase's system much, but their setting is mind blowing (transhuman, post-scarcity, post-Singularity). Books are free, worth reading just for the first 90 pages of setting.

The original Exalted setting was pretty cool too. Immortal Empress gone missing after 700 years of rule, oh and the crazy demigods that almost destroyed the world a thousand years ago are reincarnating as the lords of the underworld decide EVERYTHING should be underworld.

Remove ads