• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Force Mage (Wizard Tradition)

AlmirEldignor

Explorer
Expanded Spell Knowledge: Force
When you choose this tradition at 2nd level, and at every other level afterwards, you can add one spell from the Force Mage spell list (found below) to your spellbook. These spells do not count against the amount you normally add at that level.

Mage Hand Proficiency
Beginning at 2nd level, you learn the mage hand cantrip if you do not already know it. When you cast mage hand, you gain the following benefits:
  • The hand can lift an amount of weight equal to 10 times your Intelligence modifier in pounds.
  • You can attempt to Grapple a creature with the hand, using Intelligence instead of Strength for any checks required. When you move the hand, and creature grappled by it moves with it. The hand cannot perform any other tasks until it releases the creature or the creature escapes. The hand can only grapple creatures of Medium size or smaller.
-You can use the hand to deliver spells with a range of Touch. If you do so, the hand cannot perform any other tasks that round.

Stability
At 6th level, you gain resistance to Force damage, and become immune to being knocked down or moved against your will. You also gain proficiency in Strength saving throws.

Improved Spell Capacity: Force
Starting at 10th level, you can prepare one additional spell, as long as that spell is on the Force Mage spell list. At 18th level, you can prepare one more spell in this manner, for a total of two. These spells do not count against your total number of spells prepared.

Force Master
At 14th level, you become immune to Force damage. When you cast a spell on the Force Mage spell list using a spell slot, you can regain one expended spell slot. The slot you recover must be at least two levels lower than the one expended, and can't be higher than 5th level. For example, if you cast wall of force using a 5th-level spell slot, you can recover an expended slot of 3rd level or lower. You can recover spell slots in this manner a number of times equal to your Intelligence modifier. You regain expended uses when you complete a long rest.

Force Mage Spell List (Includes some of my homebrew spells):
1st
Catapult
Feather Fall
Jump
Mage Armor
Magic Missile
Shield
2nd
Battering Ram
Entangling Force
Hold Person
Levitate
Pull of the Abyss
Repel
3rd
Aura of Repulsion
Force Hammer
Fly
Leomund's Tiny Hut
Slow
4th
Freedom of Movement
Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound
Otiluke's Resilient Sphere
5th
Barrier
Bigby's Hand
Telekinesis
Wall of Force
6th
Disintegrate
Forcewave
7th
Forcecage
Gravity Warp
8th
Arcane Singularity
9th
Prismatic Wall
UPDATE: There is a link to a homebrewery version of the class that includes the spells, I'll leave the original text here just in case also

Last edited:

AlmirEldignor

Explorer
Expanded spell knowledge
I'd probably make this similar to the other traditions allowing spells on the force magic spell list to be added to the wizard's spellbooks for half the time and cost. Optionally, it might be worth altering the current PHB traditions to allow them to add an extra spell of their school in addition to the two spells/level.
This is actually a House rule we use in most of the games I play, it made more sense to me than using the original version, at least for this tradition.
Stability
Not sure the proficiency in strength saving throws is really necessary. It might not even be needed if the mage can't be knocked prone or moved against his will.
You're probably right, I just wanted to include it in case there' some similar effect that isn't covered by the rest of the feature already. STR save proficiency gives little enough benefit that I didn't think it would affect balance too much to just add it on.

Improved Spell Capacity: Force
I don't think this is bad, but I don't find it terribly exciting either for a 10th level ability. Not sure what you'd put in it's place, maybe something like the Evoker's ability allowing the Force mage to add their intelligence to the damage of force spells, but you may want it to be unique.
I think we might value additional spells prepared differently, any time I play a wizard I always run out of spells prepared before I run out of spells I want to prepare. In concert with the 14th level one, I thought if anything it would be over-powered, extending both versatility and the length of the character's adventuring day :/ It could probably be extended to additional prepared spells at 10th/14th/18th, if it truly is less effective than I'd imagined.

Force Mastery
Now immune to force damage which means that two force mages of 14th level will have to rely on spells outside their school to harm each other. I don't that's bad, I just think it's kinda funny. I do wonder if the spell slot revitalisation needs to be limited to the wizard's intelligence modifier/long rest, the diviner has it something similar at 6th level which isn't limited but then generally, divinations aren't thrown around in combat to kill your enemies so maybe it does need the limit, even with the 2 levels less penalty (as opposed to the one level of the diviner).
I think without the limiter it becomes a little too powerful. Without the limit you could potentially get an extra 15-ish casts/day (assuming you use lower level slots first and expend all the higher level slots) With the divination slot recovery it's more balance cause almost no divination spells apply any kind of negative effect to another creature, whereas most of the force mage spells are offensive in nature.

On the whole, I like the concept. I'd probably refine it for my games, but I think the groundwork has been done for a decent subclass. I've also looked through your spells, some good stuff there which may end up in my games at some point.

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback :)

AlmirEldignor

Explorer
Haven't worked on D&D things for a long time, just coming back to some old threads to update links to the final versions. Probably won't be responding/updating anymore but perhaps others will find it a useful resource

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads