• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forced Movement

On pg. 286 in PHB under "Forced Movement", under "Clear Path," it states that the target cannot be forced into an obstacle or made to squeeze into a space. Or that it couldn't normally enter by walking."

Does this mean that you cant force move creatures into zones, wells, and such? I thought the rule was you could, but that they get a saving throw?

Also, does this mean you cannot force move creatures through occupied spaces, be it enemies or allies?

mneme

Explorer
On pg. 286 in PHB under "Forced Movement", under "Clear Path," it states that the target cannot be forced into an obstacle or made to squeeze into a space. Or that it couldn't normally enter by walking."

Does this mean that you cant force move creatures into zones, wells, and such? I thought the rule was you could, but that they get a saving throw?

Also, does this mean you cannot force move creatures through occupied spaces, be it enemies or allies?
Zones, drops, etc aren't obstacles or squeezing. Basically, if a square is occupied by something that blocks movement or requires that a creature squeeze to move into it? You can't force move them into it.

Mort_Q

First Post

An enemy can pass through an enemy's (their ally) square by walking, so provided there is enough movement, you can move them through squares occupied by your enemy.

An enemy can not pass through an ally's (their enemy) square by walking, so regardless of how much movement you have, they must move around your ally.

At our table, we allow forced movement into zones, but forced movement over ledges requires a failed save (successful save leaves them prone at the edge).

Not sure if that's the rule, or a house-rule anymore.

I see. Yeah, I got confused for a second in who's an enemy, and who's an ally.

How you run it at your table is how we will run it too, that is, no save for being pushed into zones, but saves for pushing off cliffs and stuff- it sounds like it would be the RAW from the info I've gathered. I tried to run it all saves, playtesting, and it got awkward. Thanks.

DracoSuave

First Post
An enemy can pass through an enemy's (their ally) square by walking, so provided there is enough movement, you can move them through squares occupied by your enemy.

An enemy can not pass through an ally's (their enemy) square by walking, so regardless of how much movement you have, they must move around your ally.

At our table, we allow forced movement into zones, but forced movement over ledges requires a failed save (successful save leaves them prone at the edge).

Not sure if that's the rule, or a house-rule anymore.

Not a house rule at all.

Hindering terrain is terrain that damages, or otherwise punishes movement. Zone effects, or other persistant effects, are not terrain unless they say they are, and therefore are not hindering terrain.

And hindering terrain is what allows a saving throw.

A drop, or fall qualifies as terrain, however, and it does punish or damage on movement (by falling), therefore it is hindering terrain and allows the save.

perseus.

First Post

Isn't the rule you can walk through a willing allies square?

Not sure the ally would willingly let an ally be pushed through their square. I'm pretty new though, so I could be wrong.

MarkB

Legend
Isn't the rule you can walk through a willing allies square?

Not sure the ally would willingly let an ally be pushed through their square. I'm pretty new though, so I could be wrong.

3.5e specified willing allies, but 4e just says you can move through an ally's square.

On a more general note, a creature can move through an enemy's square, if there is at least a two-step size difference, so for instance, a halfling could be pushed through an enemy ettin's space, so long as he didn't end his movement there.

1of3

Explorer

Yeah, but the respective characters could choose to become allied or hostile for this particular effect.

I mean, think about it. You can move through your friends' squares because they let you.

eamon

Explorer
Yeah, but the respective characters could choose to become allied or hostile for this particular effect.

I mean, think about it. You can move through your friends' squares because they let you.

This is what I would say too.

Remove ads