• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ForceUser's Vietnamese Adventures Story Hour! (finis)

Lazybones

Adventurer
I have only just finished the first page of this story hour, but I wanted to add some preliminary comments. As a former history instructor who taught world civ for a few years, I appreciate both the unique setting and the way that your campaign departs both from the traditional medieval European model and the default Oriental Adventures setting.

RE the story itself, I found the characterizations to be very distinct and interesting, and the way you got your group together was refreshingly different from the traditional "so you meet in an inn..." Once the group got to the inn the story started feeling rather more "conventional" in terms of familiar D&D, but still engaging. I look forward to getting caught up to the present with the rest of the tale.

Lazy

ForceUser

Explorer
Session Four, Part 2.5

WOO TORE through the night in hot pursuit of the orc mystic. His long braid whipped like a cobra in the rushing air as moonlight reflected off the dewy grass, illuminating his path. The moon itself hung oppressively in the sky, a full bright eye that mocked him. Ahead, he heard heavy breathing, grunts and snarls, as his fleeing foe stormed through the brush like a wounded boar. Cresting a short rise, he spied a rippling shadow below him barreling toward a nearby thicket.

Silently, he jumped.

Propelled by muscles honed through years of rigorous exercise, Woo sailed through the air like a bird of prey. He maintained his balance, thrusting his feet out and guiding his descent with his torso and arms. The rush of wind cooled his face, invigorating him as he focused inward, feeling the flow of his ch’i resonating throughout his body, instantly channeled forward and down the length of his leg.

Like a sledgehammer, he drove his enemy to the ground. The orc cried out as something snapped, wet and gristly. Woo rolled to the right and sprung to his feet, pausing as the creature writhed on the ground in utter agony, back broken. With a snap-kick to the jaw, he mercifully ended its life. The corpse shuddered, and Woo noticed for the first time drums pounding in the distance, a savage counterpoint to the beating of his heart.

Footsteps crashed on the slope behind him, and he whirled. “Woo! Woo!” cried a Vinh-shaped shadow. The no-sheng skidded to a stop on the ridge above, instantly assessing the scene. “We must go, for surely more will come! Do you hear the drums?”

“Yes,” said the monk, and with that the two dashed up the mountainside to rejoin the others. Within minutes the party fled once again toward the dubious refuge of the Monkey God’s temple.

Above, the moon looked on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Sweet. I've been waiting to get back to the Monkey God's Temple. I don't know if I've mentioned this, but this campaign's the reason that I bought OA — there's so much neat stuff here that I just find wicked inspiring. :)

Best,
tKL

Last edited:

Warrior Poet

Explorer
Even your shortest posts are better than reams of the garbage they print these days...

Hear, hear!

Excellent! The return of the story hour!

Thanks again. Looking forward to reading more. This is a terrific story well told, and a compliment to you and your players. Your descriptions are outstanding. The landscape, weather, and moon phases are as much characters as Woo, Vinh, Tam, Lei, Hien, Mai, and Hiraki are ...

Warrior Poet

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads