Foreign Language D&D Books?

Thanael

Explorer
Dragonworld seems to be willing so ship anywhere in the world... at least that's what I was able to determine with my extremely broken German... :)

Dragonworld is an excellent shop, i can only recommend them. Not sure how high the postage will be. Drop them a mail and ask them.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/D-Spieler-Handbuch-v4-0-Stephen-Schubert/dp/3867620326/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236161335&sr=8-1]Amazon.com[/ame] also has the german PHB listed, though currently unavailable. (Conversely I'm ordering english books on amazon.de all the time)

Jhaelen

First Post
You may want to hurry buying those German versions of the books. The publisher (Feder & Schwert) didn't renew the D&D license, so they'll have to sell their stock until the end of March (IIRC).

This 'might' also mean, there'll be some kind of sell-out soon.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
D&D books in languages other than English: any advice on where to find them, without traveling abroad? In particular, I'm looking for a German version of the 4th Edition Player's Handbook.

(I'm studying German, and I need more reading material to practice with, so I figured I'd look for a German copy of the book I find myself reading perhaps the most. It worked for Emil Krebs, except he used the New Testament.)

Well, the German version of the New Testament sports much better language than any German D&D book I've ever seen.

Others have already covered ways to get the books, but apart from this I strongly advise against using D&D books as teaching material. They consist of German words but don't count as a German text.

If you want to combine RPG and language studies, go for Das Schwarze Auge (rather easy to read) or Midgard (a dryer, "scientific" apporach).

You can find short excerpts for DSA here. For DSA there are also dozens of novel available, which, while not the material to win literature prizes, are at least original German texts.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I just wish it was easier to find Fantasy books in general, in Spanish.

On topic: I was helping my son with his homework (more like verifying he got the answer right every time) when he said "D&D really helps with vocabulary dad".

That sentence is why I've tried to find good Spanish translations of D&D rule books. My sons are in a spanish immersion program (more accurately my oldest is one year out, and my youngest is finishing) and I want to keep them reading Spanish.

Filcher

First Post
OkGames Tienda

Here's a company that is doing the 4E Dungeon Crawl Classics in Spanish. The first one is cool because it also includes info on the city they adventure is set in. This makes the Spanish version MUCH better than the original English.

Jhaelen

First Post
Others have already covered ways to get the books, but apart from this I strongly advise against using D&D books as teaching material. They consist of German words but don't count as a German text.
Well, it's a slightly different situation, but as someone who basically learned English by reading the AD&D (1st.ed.) rulebooks, I think they can be a good starting point. It was really a great motivation to learn the language!

Actually, I've been able to impress my English teacher back then because I had some pretty 'exotic' words in my vocabularly :p

Of course, my grasp of the language probably improved faster once I started reading all novels in the English original (assuming the original actually _was_ written in English ;)). My 'breakthrough' novel was Stephen King's 'The Stand'. After finishing that book I never had to 'translate' English books in my mind to understand them. I just read them and afterwards I sometimes cannot even tell in which language they had been written...

Remove ads