• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Forge of Valor RPG] Setting and System Discussion

Ashkhar Ben

Explorer
*Shakes Askhar Ben's hand*

Yes. Yes it is.

Haha *shake*

Thanks for the endorsement! Any other comments or feedback for me [MENTION=6746469]Dethklok[/MENTION]? I plan on posting some additional information regarding the system in an upcoming post, just deciding on what I want to focus on.

Ashkhar Ben

Explorer
Let's talk about one of Forge of Valor's optional rules modules: Motivation.

Motivation

Motivation is the purpose behind a character's actions; what gives the character the resolve and desire to face great danger and harrowing quests; the goal that is to be achieved through the character's actions. Motivation provides a framework to encourage players to build proactive, engaging characters that generate their own interesting adventure seeds. And it gives the GM an easy system with built-in incentives for the players.

Overview

Characters have one Short Term Motivation and one Long Term Motivation. When pursuing their motivation, characters receive Effort Tokens from the GM.

Motivations can be tangible (find the best sword) or intangible (greed).

Short Term Motivation

A character's Short Term Motivation should be achievable in the near or immediate future. Escaping the prison, protecting the helpless townsfolk, rescuing the Vostarch's heir, negotiating a successful treaty, and so on. These activities steer a character's actions, demonstrate his or her principles, and create a nearly infinite array of possible actions to accomplish these goals.

Long Term Motivation

Your character's Long Term Motivation should connect her past, present, and future. Long Term Motivations should have some point of origin, such as a significant event in a character's history, or a strong, latent desire. These motivations can be as simple or as grand as the player and GM deems fit for the tone and style of their particular group and game. Becoming the Primarch of Donorahn, joining the Pakhar Duelists, seeking revenge on the Xarlahd Hive, unlocking the secret power of a core convergence, becoming a world famous adventurer, ruling a powerful merchant guild, or becoming immeasurably wealthy are all good Long Term Motivations.

Motivations in Play

Whenever a character actively pursues a Short or Long Term Motivation, the GM can award them an Effort Token or some other small reward (we recommend candy.)

--------

There's a lot more about Motivations in the book, but I didn't want to create too big of a wall of text. Let me know if you have any questions about Motivations or how they work in play!

Remove ads