• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forge Ring question and probability

Arcanus

First Post
In a new d20 product I just bought from Malhavoc Press there is an awesome ring that is perfect for Arcane Archers. I want to play a different archer type and saw this item and wondered if it could also be enhanced in the manner I thought.

I am going to post the description but change names and stuff around. The first item is the real thing with name changes the second is something I want to have made. Let me know if the cost or something is wrong.

Devil’s Ring: If you wear this ivory ring and pull back an
empty bow of any kind, an arrow appears, nocked and ready
to fire. Should you fire the arrow, it inflicts damage and acts
in all ways as a regular arrow. If you don’t fire the arrow, it
disappears after 1 round.
Caster Level: 1st; Prerequisites: Forge Ring, Devil’s Thorn;
Market Price: 2,000 gp

Devil’s Greater Ring: If you wear this ivory ring and pull back an
empty bow of any kind, an arrow appears, nocked and ready
to fire. Should you fire the arrow, it inflicts damage and acts
in all ways as a +5 magic arrow. If you don’t fire the arrow, it
disappears after 1 round. If removed from the bow without firing
it, it will lose its enchantment and disappear after 1 round.
Caster Level: 15th; Prerequisites: Forge Ring, Devil’s Thorn, Greater Magic Weapon; Market Price: 91,500 gp

mikebr99

Explorer
Well... a +1 weapon is also worth 2000 gp (+ actual weapon's cost) and a +5 weapon is worth 50,000gp... So I'll take a stab and say.... 50,000gp

Mike

DarkJester

First Post
50 +5 arrows cost 50,000 gp. A ring that gives unlimited +5 arrows should cost quite a bit more. I'd price it in the 150-250K range, closer to the low end.

kreynolds

First Post
I'd just stick with 50,000gp. If you want to go higher, I wouldn't suggest more than 75,000gp. It's a benefit because you never run out of arrows, sure, but you also can't stockpile them up because they only last for a round. IMO, 50,000gp is just fine.

Arcanus

First Post
Thats what I thought at first, Kreynolds.

I tried to use the confusing as hell DMG for magic item creation and 1/2 arsed guessed it was at least 92,000 gp.

kreynolds

First Post
Well, the more I think about it, the more I think it probably should be higher than 50,000gp. I think a 150% increase in price is fine. Well...tell ya' what. I'll chew on the 150% price hike for a little while and see if I don't change my mind again. :)

DarkJester

First Post
I'm still not to sure about it. Infinite +5 arrows is a pretty big benefit. At 1,000 gp an arrow, your likely to get your money's worth of arrows in the first day of use with the ring. I consider allowing bow and arrow bonus stacking to be ofset by the cost of the arrows involved, if you make it that easy to get costly arrows, the balance slides toward archers.....who imo already have enough going for them.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I think the closest BTB answer would be 100,000 gp -- if 50,000 gp is like an item with 50 charges, an unlimited use item would cost double that.

I'd really have to see it in play to decide, though.

Remove ads