• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Hey, quick bug. I have a Paly5/Rog1/Sor3 and I am wearing Gauntlets of Ogre strength which makes my 14STR a STR19. When I add the 19 to the Temp Score field (character sheet 1) in 1.64, it won't use the Temp Modifier bonus to my Attack Bonus with all my melee attacks.

Basically it is saying that I have a +8 attack with my +2 Rapier. The way I see it, it should be:
+4 proficiency bonus, +4 STR, +2 Weapon = 10

But then I thought maybe it was a finesse bug, so I added a Maul and it still didn't calculate in that change in STR.

This works fine with 1.55 (that is my current sheet and I was hoping to upgrade to 1.64 this level up)

Thanks for the feedback, I've disabled the temp score feature in 1.64 due to changes in the background of the tool - however there is an easy work around by adding the value to the magic modifier in the Start sheet to increase your score to 19 (or use a formula like =19-STR to give you the correct value even if your strength changes). I'm looking at moving the temp modifiers to the start sheet in the future

schwix

First Post
I've uploaded v1.60 of the Character Generator for your reference. I'll probably leave this up for the next few months before removing v1.60 completely

Thanks a lot.

Another question: is there a way to get boni from magic items (Like Boots of striding and springing) to be added automaticly?

flwad

Explorer
Some food for thought: Got some feedback from my group about the sheet.

First, they like the sheet in general and are using it almost exclusively.

Second, they had an issue with the fact that the armor /shield shown on Start did not auto-populate CSII or add into the gear weight total. We discussed the fact that there may be characters which carry a second set of armor or sling a shield and then it wouldn't auto-populate anyway. Their take was that 75-90% of users would have one set of armor and would use or not use a shield 90%+ of the time. I see their point. My suggestion at a improvement would be at least a notation on Start, that the armor and shield must be added in CSII for weight calculation accuracy. A possible way of addressing it would be to auto-populate CSII with the shield and possibly two sets of armor from Start with a check box next to them to indicate if worn/used. Just a suggestion, as you're much better at dealing with the details than I am.

Third and most annoying to my group is the auto-populate drop-downs on CSII. They want to be able to type in the cells without the selection struggles/delays caused by the drop-downs. I have struggled with this myself, but I have come to like the drop-downs, but I don't think they will come around. Again, just a suggestion to add a check box at the top of CSII which disables the auto-populate.

As always, please take all my comments as an attempt to improve the final iteration and not a suggestion that your effort is ever taken for granted or unappreciated.

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Some food for thought: Got some feedback from my group about the sheet.

First, they like the sheet in general and are using it almost exclusively.

Second, they had an issue with the fact that the armor /shield shown on Start did not auto-populate CSII or add into the gear weight total. We discussed the fact that there may be characters which carry a second set of armor or sling a shield and then it wouldn't auto-populate anyway. Their take was that 75-90% of users would have one set of armor and would use or not use a shield 90%+ of the time. I see their point. My suggestion at a improvement would be at least a notation on Start, that the armor and shield must be added in CSII for weight calculation accuracy. A possible way of addressing it would be to auto-populate CSII with the shield and possibly two sets of armor from Start with a check box next to them to indicate if worn/used. Just a suggestion, as you're much better at dealing with the details than I am.

Third and most annoying to my group is the auto-populate drop-downs on CSII. They want to be able to type in the cells without the selection struggles/delays caused by the drop-downs. I have struggled with this myself, but I have come to like the drop-downs, but I don't think they will come around. Again, just a suggestion to add a check box at the top of CSII which disables the auto-populate.

As always, please take all my comments as an attempt to improve the final iteration and not a suggestion that your effort is ever taken for granted or unappreciated.

Hi flwad!

1st - Awesome that your group is enjoying using the tool
2nd - small workaround, in CSII you can type =ArmorName in the first row, =ShieldName in the second row and for weapons use =Attack1name, =Attack2name etc. You can use the same methodology for the Equipment Worn section of the Start sheet. I'm thinking in version 2.00 to move the entire equipment section editing to the Start sheet where it is possible to do some cooler stuff with automation as well has have a universal named variable for custom designed equipment sheets - this however take a heap of work so won't be anytime soon :)
3rd You can type away, any free text can be entered and if the item is listed it will be recognised and populated with correct rarity and weight. No need to use the drop downs if you know the item exists in the PH or DMG (any there are some custom items as well that don't appear in either). It would be fantastic if Excel support autocomplete for dropdowns but it doesn't (at least without writing a macro)

This Character Sheet is the best thing since sliced bread (What's that really even mean, 'eh?).
I use it "as is" but my wife prefers a custom character sheet. I am trying to keep up with her sheet but recently a number of the named ranges that I had used have gone away. This isn't really a big problem because I can either use the cell reference or, more often than not, the named range has been 'renamed' (i.e. "Experience" became "CharacterExperience").

In any case, for future consideration, would it be possible and/or feasible to publish a "guide" to the named ranges indexed by name and what they represent? Just a thought.

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
I love this character generator! I just have one question (so far): When you choose the Resilient feat, where do you select the ability score it applies to?

Once the Resilient feat is chosen, the Abilities section on the Start sheet will highlight all abilities for the level you chose the feat and will show a +1 at the bottom of that level. Enter 1 in the ability to gain the feat feature.

Remove ads