D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

wilcoxon

Explorer
So, if you multi-class to Thief/Fighter/Monk (and don't get to 3rd level or choose not to take the Archetype that offers spell-casting), you maintain standard Ranger progression, but if you choose Paladin, you actually lose spells every time you take an odd level of either.

This does not happen if you start as a straight spellcaster class and then multi-class to Ranger or Paladin, but will happen again if you multi-class to both Ranger and Paladin at odd levels of each.

What I believe the text was intended to state (and what could actually be interpreted from the verbiage as written) is that you take half of your (Paladin + Ranger) levels round down and a third of your (Figher-EldritchKnight + Thief-ArcaneTrickster) levels round down. That would achieve the result of never having you actually lose any spell slots you had already achieved while not allowing you to become overly powerful vs. base class only by giving you more spell slots than a full caster of your same level.

If you were to take RoundDown(.5*(Paladin + Ranger)), then Ranger 3/ Paladin 1 would still have 3 spell slots of 1st Level (which is exactly what you would have as Ranger 3/ Fighter 1, or just Ranger 3, or Ranger 2/ Paladin 2 which is what happens currently under the character sheet).

I agree that it should be Paladin+Ranger and Fighter+Rogue (assuming you took the appropriate sub-classes) but I think it should be rounding up as otherwise, you still lose spell slots (Fighter 4/Rogue 4, Ranger 3/Rogue 4, etc). The rules say otherwise but it makes no sense - clearly (based on this and class attribute pre-reqs being retroactive), someone at WotC hates multi-classing.

Dannyboy7702

First Post
I agree that it should be Paladin+Ranger and Fighter+Rogue (assuming you took the appropriate sub-classes) but I think it should be rounding up as otherwise, you still lose spell slots (Fighter 4/Rogue 4, Ranger 3/Rogue 4, etc). The rules say otherwise but it makes no sense - clearly (based on this and class attribute pre-reqs being retroactive), someone at WotC hates multi-classing.

Look, you'll are beating a dead horse. If you need clarification of the rules for multi-classing non-pure spellcasters then contact WotC. Additionally, I said it before and I'll say it again... In the end, the rules in PHB and DMG are not set in stone. A DM can make changes to however they see fit.

wilcoxon

Explorer
Look, you'll are beating a dead horse. If you need clarification of the rules for multi-classing non-pure spellcasters then contact WotC. Additionally, I said it before and I'll say it again... In the end, the rules in PHB and DMG are not set in stone. A DM can make changes to however they see fit.

I don't expect the rules to change based on this forum. I was just asking Forged if he would consider adding the unofficial calculation as an option if he was going in to make changes to the calculations anyway (and giving rationale for the addition).

aspasia

First Post
Multiclassing and casters

I did reach out to JC on twitter, but he hasn't responded.

Another person responded with references: page 164 says, "Once you have the Spellcasting feature from more than one class, use the rules below." This happens for Ranger at Level 2 (Table, page 90).

In my mind at least this is unequivocal.

Note: I'm not weighing in on the round-down/round-up issue, just that Ranger (and Paladin) shouldn't provoke use the progression on page 165 until Level 2.

mikebr99

Explorer
Great sheet ForgedAnvil!

I do have one thing I've noticed though... once you get a multiclassed character with a lot of race/class/background/feat stuff... that part of the character sheet can't handle it and doesn't display all the info. For instance a mountain dwarf war cleric 2, battle master fighter 10... Sorry if this has been asked already. I'm using 2.27.

Thank you,

Mike

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Great sheet ForgedAnvil!

I do have one thing I've noticed though... once you get a multiclassed character with a lot of race/class/background/feat stuff... that part of the character sheet can't handle it and doesn't display all the info. For instance a mountain dwarf war cleric 2, battle master fighter 10... Sorry if this has been asked already. I'm using 2.27.

Thank you,

Mike

Try unchecking the All Details option on the start sheet first. If that doesn't help uncheck feats. Go to CS V choose a cell and use the formula =CharacterFeatDetails then highlight enough cells to merge and make the details visible and justify left and wrap text. you can do this with race, background etc.

Dannyboy7702

First Post
I don't expect the rules to change based on this forum. I was just asking Forged if he would consider adding the unofficial calculation as an option if he was going in to make changes to the calculations anyway (and giving rationale for the addition).

I may not agree with your views on this topic, but I do understand what you are saying. However, while the CS is unofficial, the material within it is official. Forged has not published any material within this CS that has not been published in any WotC guide, handbook or manual. Additionally, he has been very kind enough to add a custom tab, so users can add homebrew material.

I personally think that Forged shouldn't change the calculations and it can make a character overpowered and make the game unbalanced. But that is my point-of-view. I think Forged is going to have enough on his plate when Xanthar's Guide is released.

Forged,

I love the CS and appreciate all of the time and hard work you and the community members who are helping you have put into creating, refining and updating of the CS. Whatever your views or thoughts on this topic I will support. I'm looking forward to the update with the Xanthar's material added.

Conandar

Explorer
v2.27
Start page, 2. Class & Level, Proficiency Bonus:
When using the drop down to select a value, the adjust value works as expected except when selecting the blank option. Typing the number 0 or deleting the contents of the cell with the backspace key works as expected, but selecting the blank option sets the bonus to "####". This behavior is not present with the initiative adjustment.

Remove ads