• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

Ninefingers

First Post
The calculation adds all racial, class, feat and level gains and magical modifiers. In your case you get +2 racial modifier to Dexterity from the Elf race and +1 modifier to Intelligence from the High (Elf) subtract. All the details are shown in the details to the right of the abilities section. So for Dexterity your roll is 16, you get +2 racial modifier (and no other modifiers as yet) so you have 18 which is a +4 ability modifier (which you had to ability rolls for Dexterity based skills, saving throws, attacks etc)

View attachment 71818

Also I noticed you've put values in the proficiency bonus adjustment and initiative adjustment, these are used to adjust (increase or decrease) those values. Only use these if you have any magical item or your DM allows the adjustment. The character sheet will pretty much do everything for you regarding calculations and only show or highlight information that your character meets the requirements for. (a good example is you won't see Agonizing Blast until you've chosen Eldritch Blast in the Warlock Invocations). Most (if not all) dropdown list auto adapt to what the users has selected and any cells will highlight a light yellow when they require user input.

Hope that helps, if you've got any other questions or issues post them here! Have fun!

Many thanks for the prompt reply, it is appreciated. I guess I just don't see it as intuitive for someone who has not touched the d20 game system in 30 years :). I appreciate your help. Is there a starting guide to assist with which cells should be populated for a beginning character?

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
I've seen some references to character transfer. What is that? Is there a way to import older version character sheets into the newer versions?

The tool is in the download section here - ForgedAnvil 5E Character Generator

ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Transfer Tool v1.60.zip

Should be self explanatory, it will not work with 1.61 beta 100% (maybe 95%). You'll need to use Excel 2010-2016 as it uses macros to transfer you older character sheet to the new template

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Many thanks for the prompt reply, it is appreciated. I guess I just don't see it as intuitive for someone who has not touched the d20 game system in 30 years :). I appreciate your help. Is there a starting guide to assist with which cells should be populated for a beginning character?

No starting guide at the moment, though it is relatively straight forward

Follow each step outline on the start sheet

1. Roll your Stats, enter them in
2. Enter your XP (if any, minimum 0 to start) and class, enter details in the parts that highlight in yellow
3. Enter your character details, enter details in the parts that highlight in yellow
4 Choose your skills
5. Choose any feats or ability score adjustments (if ability score adjustment, check in the ability scores in part 1)
6. Choose languages
7. Choose tools
8. Enter gold etc
9. Equipment worn
10. Armor worn
11. Weapons and attacks you have.
12. For spellcasters, pact magic, wild shapes, animal companions go to Spellcasting sheet

For a level 1 character it is possible to create a detailed character within minutes (depending on the class) and to level up within seconds.

Last edited:

Ninefingers

First Post
ForgedAnvil,
Again many thanks for the incredible amount of work you have put into this. I am not as slow as I appear i promise. :) I been spending some time with this and agree it is pretty straight forward. I was making it more difficult than needed. I was a bit confused by the extra select-able yellow boxes in the options panel that have no description with them. i am assuming that they are for future development, or are for additional options that may be available for different race/class selections.

Again many thanks,
Ninefingers

options.png

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
ForgedAnvil,
Again many thanks for the incredible amount of work you have put into this. I am not as slow as I appear i promise. :) I been spending some time with this and agree it is pretty straight forward. I was making it more difficult than needed. I was a bit confused by the extra select-able yellow boxes in the options panel that have no description with them. i am assuming that they are for future development, or are for additional options that may be available for different race/class selections.

Again many thanks,
Ninefingers

Yep, those are reserved for future use. These currently have no effect on the use of the character generator so you're good to go! Have fun!

Mergon

First Post
ForgedAnvil,

Again many thanks,
Ninefingers

View attachment 71825

I use them to auto-calculate things like Barbarian Rage & Bloodsong. I point my formula's to one of the unused dropdowns and they apply the appropriate modifers where I need them.

Mergon

First Post
ForgedAnvil:

Possible bug - Sub-classes - Armor Proficiency:
- When I set Armor Proficiency 1 to Level 2 and Light Armor and choose A suit of light armor in the armor section on the Start tab, I am not getting proficiency in light armors.

Request: Sub-classes - Weapon Proficiency:
- Could you please add the following to the dropdown section?
- A single melee weapon & a single ranged weapon.

Thanks again for all your good works. :)

Croejar64

First Post
I love your character sheet. I subscribed to Office 365 just to use it. Libre office and open office are both buggy for me using it. I am having an issue with excel however. I created several characters for my group and saved them all. They have all leveled up and I tried to update their sheets to print off new updated versions. I can only open the files as read only. I am very "excel stupid". I don't know if I saved them wrong or what not and can't figure out how to open one that is not read only. I tried starting a new sheet to retrace my steps in the saving process and now I see that each sheet is protected. When I try to unprotect them it asks for a password. Is there a way around this that I am missing? I just want to save the sheets and be able to open them up and update them later when my group I run levels up. Your sheet is SOOO! nice updating everything for each level up and just makes it all so dang easy. Thanks again for any help!

PS If this has already been addressed I am sorry. I started to search through the first 20 or so pages but with over 100 pages it was going to take me a long time :)

OK I have now gone thru all 112 threads and seems no one else is having this issue so I know it must be something I am not doing correctly. I do not want any passwords or anything I just want to save the file and be able to update some fields later on as characters level up. I am using the most current version of excel via office 365 subscription. I have saved each character sheet using save as and named it something different so I can keep the original download blank. Reopening them I cannot edit fields like experience points or even add or change the players name or character name(a few of my players originally didn't have last names for their character and wanted to add one.) Any fields with drop downs I can still edit.

Thanks again
Doug

Last edited:

basilforth

Explorer
Hello,

In your release notes for v1.59, you mention: "- NEW FEATURE There is now a filter in Character Sheet III to filter and remove blank rows between spells. This compacts the sheet significantly, even down to 1 page or possibly printing in landscape mode for larger text. See Example Character Zenith for example."

How do you use the filter? I looked at Zenith. I couldn't see anything that looked like a filter.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads