• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

Jeff Moulton

First Post
I love your character sheet. I subscribed to Office 365 just to use it. Libre office and open office are both buggy for me using it. I am having an issue with excel however. I created several characters for my group and saved them all. They have all leveled up and I tried to update their sheets to print off new updated versions. I can only open the files as read only. I am very "excel stupid". I don't know if I saved them wrong or what not and can't figure out how to open one that is not read only. I tried starting a new sheet to retrace my steps in the saving process and now I see that each sheet is protected. When I try to unprotect them it asks for a password. Is there a way around this that I am missing? I just want to save the sheets and be able to open them up and update them later when my group I run levels up. Your sheet is SOOO! nice updating everything for each level up and just makes it all so dang easy. Thanks again for any help!

PS If this has already been addressed I am sorry. I started to search through the first 20 or so pages but with over 100 pages it was going to take me a long time :)

OK I have now gone thru all 112 threads and seems no one else is having this issue so I know it must be something I am not doing correctly. I do not want any passwords or anything I just want to save the file and be able to update some fields later on as characters level up. I am using the most current version of excel via office 365 subscription. I have saved each character sheet using save as and named it something different so I can keep the original download blank. Reopening them I cannot edit fields like experience points or even add or change the players name or character name(a few of my players originally didn't have last names for their character and wanted to add one.) Any fields with drop downs I can still edit.

Thanks again
Doug

I think you're getting caught by something with Excel that has annoyed me for a long time. Are you getting a dialog box that says "*file* should be opened as read-only unless you need to save changes to it. Open as read-only?"

Your answer to that should be "no". That dialog box isn't asking if you want to open the file, it is only asking if you want to open it "read-only", which you don't. Answer "no" and you'll be able to save your edits.

Mergon

First Post
Hello,

In your release notes for v1.59, you mention: "- NEW FEATURE There is now a filter in Character Sheet III to filter and remove blank rows between spells. This compacts the sheet significantly, even down to 1 page or possibly printing in landscape mode for larger text. See Example Character Zenith for example."

How do you use the filter? I looked at Zenith. I couldn't see anything that looked like a filter.

On the Character Sheet You will see the following in Green: Cantrips, Casting, Range, Duration, etc.

Just to the left of the word Casting with will see a very small check box. Clcick on it and select only (Select all) & (Spells only). If you add new spells to your spell book (or prepared spells), you'll need to go back and select all 3 check boxes, then go back again to select (Select all) & (Spells only) again to see the new spells.

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
ForgedAnvil:

Possible bug - Sub-classes - Armor Proficiency:
- When I set Armor Proficiency 1 to Level 2 and Light Armor and choose A suit of light armor in the armor section on the Start tab, I am not getting proficiency in light armors.

Request: Sub-classes - Weapon Proficiency:
- Could you please add the following to the dropdown section?
- A single melee weapon & a single ranged weapon.

Thanks again for all your good works. :)

Thanks for the feedback Mergon,

For the bug, I'll look into after working on the SCAG.

For the weapon proficiencies you can select a specific weapon in the dropdown - if you mean a single melee or ranged weapon that the users can choose later then no this is not possible.

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Hello,

In your release notes for v1.59, you mention: "- NEW FEATURE There is now a filter in Character Sheet III to filter and remove blank rows between spells. This compacts the sheet significantly, even down to 1 page or possibly printing in landscape mode for larger text. See Example Character Zenith for example."

How do you use the filter? I looked at Zenith. I couldn't see anything that looked like a filter.

Refer to the very first post in this thread for a step by step guide on how to do this...

Mergon

First Post
Thanks for the feedback Mergon,

For the bug, I'll look into after working on the SCAG.

For the weapon proficiencies you can select a specific weapon in the dropdown - if you mean a single melee or ranged weapon that the users can choose later then no this is not possible.

Good morning ForgedAnvil:

I just was wondering if the options or a text box could be added for a single melee or ranged weapon could be added. Making the toon proficient would have to be done manually would have to be done in the appropriate weapon section on the Start tab.

In SCAG, you'll have this issue anyways with the Bladesinger subclass; which is why I was asking. :) I was trying to enter the Bladesinger in 1.61 Beta. :)

Maerwynne

First Post
Bug found

Hi Forged! Still loving the sheet :) Discovered a bug I believe. While building a Lv 1 Paladin, the worksheet says you can select spells as soon as you enter in the character's charisma stat, regardless of their level (spellcasting for paladins opens up at lv 2). No spells are available to select, but the spellcasting sheet prompts for them and the other sheets say how many you can have (3 for a charisma of 16 for example). Thanks in advance for the fix!

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Hi Forged! Still loving the sheet :) Discovered a bug I believe. While building a Lv 1 Paladin, the worksheet says you can select spells as soon as you enter in the character's charisma stat, regardless of their level (spellcasting for paladins opens up at lv 2). No spells are available to select, but the spellcasting sheet prompts for them and the other sheets say how many you can have (3 for a charisma of 16 for example). Thanks in advance for the fix!

Thanks for the feedback, it was a bug - had to make a few changes in v1.61 so hopefully it is fixed now. [UPDATE: you can test it out in v1.61 beta 2 if you're keen and let me know]

Last edited:

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Good morning ForgedAnvil:

I just was wondering if the options or a text box could be added for a single melee or ranged weapon could be added. Making the toon proficient would have to be done manually would have to be done in the appropriate weapon section on the Start tab.

In SCAG, you'll have this issue anyways with the Bladesinger subclass; which is why I was asking. :) I was trying to enter the Bladesinger in 1.61 Beta. :)

For the Bladesinger, this subclass will have a dedicated dropdown list of one handed weapons to choose from in the Start sheet. I won't be adding this function to the custom subclass as it is very specific and you can achieve the same result by selecting a specific weapon in the weapon proficiencies section in the Custom sheet as a workaround.

Mergon

First Post
For the Bladesinger, this subclass will have a dedicated dropdown list of one handed weapons to choose from in the Start sheet. I won't be adding this function to the custom subclass as it is very specific and you can achieve the same result by selecting a specific weapon in the weapon proficiencies section in the Custom sheet as a workaround.

I agree, that's why all I wanted was a weapon entry that says 'Any one melee weapon'. Then they can select a weapon on the start tab and set it manually to proficient. I'm trying to keep soem of my players out of the custom tab due to them being able to 'accidently' delete their custom data. <sigh> (Don't ask how, its like burning water . . . )

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
I agree, that's why all I wanted was a weapon entry that says 'Any one melee weapon'. Then they can select a weapon on the start tab and set it manually to proficient. I'm trying to keep soem of my players out of the custom tab due to them being able to 'accidently' delete their custom data. <sigh> (Don't ask how, its like burning water . . . )

Ahh I understand, the Weapon Proficiency section in the Custom sheet is used to set the proficiency of a specific weapon or group (e.g. All Simple or All Martial) - so when the weapons are selected in the Start sheet they will have proficiency assigned already (no need to manually change). The Weapon Proficiency section on the Custom sheet will not achieve what you would like (as there is no weapon or group called "Any one melee weapon". I recommend using the Level Gains section to detail this and as you've mentioned set the override of the weapon to proficient in the Start sheet (or alternatively select the weapon chosen as proficient in the Subclass). Another example is the Favored Soul, the user is unable to select a complete domain but it mentions "Choose one cleric divine domain and add the 1st level domain spells to your known spells" in the Level Gains section. To achieve the required Domain spells the user will need to select the individual domain spells from the list below (which now goes from Spell Level 1 to 9)

Bonus Proficiency: light armor, medium armor, shields, and simple weapons
• Sorcerer Origin Feature (Chosen of the Gods)
Choose one cleric divine domain and add the 1st level domain spells to your known spells.
These do not count against the number of spells you know and they are considered to be
sorcerer spells. At 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th levels you know the additional domain’s spells that
become available at those levels.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads