• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

Mergon

First Post
ForgedAnvil, really liking the sheet. I've been using to build everything and can't imagine not having this tool. That being said, I have some quality of life suggestions;

• Entering XP is awkward. If I'm building something above level 1, I either need to to lookup the XP for the box or just guess until it lands on level 13. I'd really love to just select the class levels I want and have that level.
  • Do you have any plans to implement Point Buy?

Also, I'm curious if you're open to outside help on the project. I would have done both of the above myself but I can't do it cleanly without access.

Point buy is already implemented. Select Variant Ability Scores at the top of the Start tab.

As for XP, I always build level by level myself. I'd just create a Level-to-XP chart in a notepad document.

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
ForgedAnvil, really liking the sheet. I've been using to build everything and can't imagine not having this tool. That being said, I have some quality of life suggestions;

• Entering XP is awkward. If I'm building something above level 1, I either need to to lookup the XP for the box or just guess until it lands on level 13. I'd really love to just select the class levels I want and have that level.
  • Do you have any plans to implement Point Buy?

Also, I'm curious if you're open to outside help on the project. I would have done both of the above myself but I can't do it cleanly without access.

Thanks for the feedback, I've implemented something a little easier for XP and Levels in v1.61 (final). When you hover your mouse over the Experience cell you'll see the below comment pop up for your reference

LVL and XP.png

Thanks for the offer in helping out, at the moment it's all good. Mainly need help with testing the beta release on the new subclasses and make sure everything is working as it should.

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
I downloaded the latest beta file but could not open it with open office.

I build and test the Character Generator using Excel 2016, the file should open without issue in Excel 2010, 2013 and 2016. OpenOffice I don't test, I've heard some people have had limited success with LibreOffice as well. Recommend to use Excel to have the best user experience. Excel Mobile for screens under 10.1" is free and generally works very well with the generator, the main limitations are you can't use macros so transferring characters to the latest version and resetting the generator will not function and replacing an image also doesn't function for character portraits.

Last edited:

Nordlund

First Post
Are you going to add subraces for tieflings? like the Feral version in SCAG? :) or is that something we are going to be adding yourself in the custom part?

Croejar64

First Post
This is strange, I've never had this issue.

Just to confirm a few things:

1. You've installed Office 2016 locally on your PC (say 32bit version)
2. When you open the character generator the first time it works and you can edit all cells and can save the file
3. After saving, closing the file, and then reopening you're having an issue with editing non drop down list cells only?
4. Is there an option showing to Edit in Excel?

Did you edit initially in LibreOffice / OpenOffice? If so try the Character Transfer Tool in Excel 2016 to transfer to a new download of v1.60 (not 1.61 beta).

If this does work you should post some screenshots of the issue

1. Yes Office 365 is installed locally. I tried using the free version in One Drive and it does not print correctly. I was using the installed version this time.
2. When I generated each character using a blank save everything worked fantastically.
3. Yes after saving and closing and reopening its the non drop down cells only I could not edit. When I opened each file I got a message stating someone else already had a copy open and I could read only. I could only select read only, notify, or cancel.
4. I am at work now and will have to check this but I am pretty sure I had no options to edit (it was grayed out) when I was trying to work on it.

These 5 characters I made I never used LIbreOffice/OpenOffice. I had originally tried both programs and they each had issues mainly when printing so I just bucked up for Office 365 and started over in there.

Here is an interesting item though. I have since gotten it to work though I am not sure exactly how. I decided to try Google Sheets to see if I would have any success there. I imported one of the characters there and it was not good. Google sheets loses some cells in conversion and I am not spreadsheet smart enough to fix them or try to. Not sure why I did this but I converted the same file back to excel from within Google Sheets and downloaded it back to my computer. I then opened it using excel and bam I can now edit everything. Funny thing is I just opened the other four character saves with excel and never imported them to Google sheets and converted them back like I did the first one. They all now can be edited too. I have no idea if trying things in Google Sheets did something to the file but all is working now.

This is an insanely awesome thing you have here Forged and I will be sending you a beer!. Thanks for the response all.

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
1. Yes Office 365 is installed locally. I tried using the free version in One Drive and it does not print correctly. I was using the installed version this time.
2. When I generated each character using a blank save everything worked fantastically.
3. Yes after saving and closing and reopening its the non drop down cells only I could not edit. When I opened each file I got a message stating someone else already had a copy open and I could read only. I could only select read only, notify, or cancel.
4. I am at work now and will have to check this but I am pretty sure I had no options to edit (it was grayed out) when I was trying to work on it.

These 5 characters I made I never used LIbreOffice/OpenOffice. I had originally tried both programs and they each had issues mainly when printing so I just bucked up for Office 365 and started over in there.

Here is an interesting item though. I have since gotten it to work though I am not sure exactly how. I decided to try Google Sheets to see if I would have any success there. I imported one of the characters there and it was not good. Google sheets loses some cells in conversion and I am not spreadsheet smart enough to fix them or try to. Not sure why I did this but I converted the same file back to excel from within Google Sheets and downloaded it back to my computer. I then opened it using excel and bam I can now edit everything. Funny thing is I just opened the other four character saves with excel and never imported them to Google sheets and converted them back like I did the first one. They all now can be edited too. I have no idea if trying things in Google Sheets did something to the file but all is working now.

This is an insanely awesome thing you have here Forged and I will be sending you a beer!. Thanks for the response all.

I think I know the issue, are you saving to your OneDrive location? Occasionally I get an error like you have stated, I'm guessing it has something to do with synching with OneDrive. When I get this error I do a Save As another filename (usually _a on the end of the original filename) and then you're good to go...

Dannyboy7702

First Post
I just noticed that when you select the "Weapon Master" feat you have a choice between "Light Hammer & Throwing Hammer" But when you are selecting a weapon in the "11. Attack" box there is no "Throwing Hammer" option to select. I looked up the Dwarf in the "PHB" and it shows "Throwing Hammer" under "Dwarven Combat Training", but the equipment section only has a "Light Hammer" listed. From what I can understand, the "Light Hammer & Throwing Hammer" are the same thing. Also in "Character Sheet II" there is no "Throwing Hammer" to select and when you select the Dwarf as your race, it lists "Light Hammer" under "Dwarven Combat Training." Just an idea, but maybe delete "Throwing Hammer" from the "Weapon Master" feat selection???

Remove ads