• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

colincbn

First Post
Drow Magic

Hi Folks,

I noticed Drow/Dark Elf magic does not seem to add to the spellcasting page (sheet 2) lists after the Dancing Lights cantrip at first level.
So a 3rd level Drow gets his Dancing Lights (with a nice "Drow Magic" reminder, well done!), but under first level spells there is no equivalent "Faerie Fire" showing up.

Or, quite possibly, I have made a mistake somewhere.

Standard 3rd level Drow Warlock, no mulitclass, overrides, or custom settings etc.
Built using v1.64.

Of course this very robust generator allows me to simply add it myself in about three seconds. I just thought I should mention it here in case it is not simply my mistake and is in fact a bug.

If this has already been addressed I would very much appreciate a link/quote explaining what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for your wonderful work!

Cheers,
Colin

meomwt

First Post
Here's an updated design concept for Character Sheet I High Density. The design principles behind this are to bring as much as possible on a single page what a character can do and the characters status to the forefront. The coinage and encumbrance moves to CSII with the Background information moving to CSIV (though this might be renamed to CSIII and the Spells renamed to CSIV). Feedback welcomed

Picture removed for space reasons!

That looks pretty good to me (and is reminiscent of the old 3.5E Hero Forge sheet), but I'm worried it might be a bit cramped on an A4 page. If you could ensure that it would print acceptably on an A3 sheet, I'd be on board.

Mrs meomwt (whose sight is not 100%) has difficulties with masses of print on small sheets, so I have to make sure that A3 sheets are viable (we also have someone else in our group whose sight can be a problem).

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Hi Folks,

I noticed Drow/Dark Elf magic does not seem to add to the spellcasting page (sheet 2) lists after the Dancing Lights cantrip at first level.
So a 3rd level Drow gets his Dancing Lights (with a nice "Drow Magic" reminder, well done!), but under first level spells there is no equivalent "Faerie Fire" showing up.

Or, quite possibly, I have made a mistake somewhere.

Standard 3rd level Drow Warlock, no mulitclass, overrides, or custom settings etc.
Built using v1.64.

Of course this very robust generator allows me to simply add it myself in about three seconds. I just thought I should mention it here in case it is not simply my mistake and is in fact a bug.

If this has already been addressed I would very much appreciate a link/quote explaining what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for your wonderful work!

Cheers,
Colin

Hi Colin, thanks for the feedback. Drow spell like abilities are technically not spells - you can include them in the spell sheet but these race features are a typically one use per day (unlike standard prepared / known spells) hence they are no included in the list of spells for a class. The Drow cantrip, however, is like any other cantrip and can be cast at any time. I'm planning to improve future versions to detail the spell like features gained from races on CSII (similar to the current High Elf design), this way it clearly separated from the spell sheet and for classes that have a spell like feature from a race and are not spellcasters they do not require the spellcasters sheet (currently CSIII)

Hope that helps!

Cheers
Shane

Last edited:

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
That looks pretty good to me (and is reminiscent of the old 3.5E Hero Forge sheet), but I'm worried it might be a bit cramped on an A4 page. If you could ensure that it would print acceptably on an A3 sheet, I'd be on board.

Mrs meomwt (whose sight is not 100%) has difficulties with masses of print on small sheets, so I have to make sure that A3 sheets are viable (we also have someone else in our group whose sight can be a problem).

Hi meomwt, the sheet should have no issues with printing to A3, just set the page size in the printing options in Excel. With v2.00 you'll be able to design the character sheets as needed using simple named variables - still a far bit of work to get done though, but it's coming along nicely.

ghoti115

First Post
For Subcasses in the Custom Tab is there a way to add an option to select two skills to apply the Expertise bonus? Also, is there a way to add a new Tool Kit (Disguise Kit) into the Expertise selections?

Mergon

First Post
For Subcasses in the Custom Tab is there a way to add an option to select two skills to apply the Expertise bonus? Also, is there a way to add a new Tool Kit (Disguise Kit) into the Expertise selections?

ForgedAnvil, I back this idea. If you are willing, you could add what ever Tools chosen to the list of skills for Expertise. I can't find any rulings saying that you can use Expertise with other tools, but I also can't find anything that says you can't.

Also, I have yet another request for you (how many am I up to now?). What I'd like if possible would be on the Character Summary tab. I use your character sheet on a computer at the gaming table. I tend to stay on the Character Summary tab. What I'd like if possible is 2 rows of 3 dropdowns just like the ones in the Options section of the Start tab. They just have to have a black description area and then a drop down with black or bullet. Right now I use the blank drop downs on the Start tab which is great, but I'd like to have a few right on the Character Summary tab where they are more convenient if at all possible.

I was thing they might be added just between the Ability Score and Skills sections.

Also, can the fon't size of the text in the Remaining text box be increased in size a touch?

Once again, thank you for a magnificent job on this spreadsheet.

Dannyboy7702

First Post
If I understand you correctly you'd like to have more than one feature per subclass level gain? it is no problem to do this, you'll need to enter the first feature with no bullet point then once you complete the text hit ALT+Enter to go to a new line, you'll need to add a bullet point for the second feature followed by a space then type the next feature. you can get fancier using formulas for features that are gain at an early level but improve later. This is done using the IF function, an example ="Text "&IF(FighterLevel>=11,"Max improved feature", IF(FighterLevel>=7,"Improved feature", if(FighterLevel>=3,"feature")))&" more text"

Example Character Zenith has some example subclasses and races that use formula, to view formulas on the character sheet go to the ribbon menu under Formulas > Show Formulas
Customized weapons are currently not planned as the overrides in the Attacks section on the Start sheet serve that purpose for now.

Thanks for the info. The issue that I am running into for weapons is that at 3rd level the gunslinger gains the firearms proficiency. But there is no firearm proficiency available.

skoorb

First Post
The transfer tool does not seem to be working at all for me. I'm trying to update from V 1.53 to V1.64. I've downloaded the new 1.64 Transfer Tool and 1.64 Character Generator, and when I run it, it just creates a blank 1.64 Character Generator. No info is transferred at all. I thought this would be very easy, what am I missing?

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
The transfer tool does not seem to be working at all for me. I'm trying to update from V 1.53 to V1.64. I've downloaded the new 1.64 Transfer Tool and 1.64 Character Generator, and when I run it, it just creates a blank 1.64 Character Generator. No info is transferred at all. I thought this would be very easy, what am I missing?

You'll need to transfer from 1.53 to 1.60 then 1.60 to 1.64

Dannyboy7702

First Post
Gunslinger Subclass

If I understand you correctly you'd like to have more than one feature per subclass level gain? it is no problem to do this, you'll need to enter the first feature with no bullet point then once you complete the text hit ALT+Enter to go to a new line, you'll need to add a bullet point for the second feature followed by a space then type the next feature. you can get fancier using formulas for features that are gain at an early level but improve later. This is done using the IF function, an example ="Text "&IF(FighterLevel>=11,"Max improved feature", IF(FighterLevel>=7,"Improved feature", if(FighterLevel>=3,"feature")))&" more text"

Example Character Zenith has some example subclasses and races that use formula, to view formulas on the character sheet go to the ribbon menu under Formulas > Show Formulas
Customized weapons are currently not planned as the overrides in the Attacks section on the Start sheet serve that purpose for now.

I followed your advice and was able to make the necessary changes. I ran into an issue with the Tools section though. As I was inputting the info I ran into an issue with the tools section. Even though I have selected the Tinker's Tools for the subclass, when you go to the Start page and look at the tools section you can clearly see that even though it says the subclass grants the use of Tinker's Tools. The number in the parenthesis is still zero.

Danny
See Attachment

Attachments

• Tools Flaw 2.jpg
    Tools Flaw 2.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 174

Remove ads