• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forgotten Realms "Canon Lawyers"

vagabundo

Adventurer
There is a good fix for these jokers. Find out their most favorite FR character and introduce him/her as an NPC in the game. In the following session kill off that NPC with a nice Tratyn Runewind style death and move on with the game. You might want to wear a bulletproof vest though.:p

I picture a horrible war with two lines of impaled NPCs lining the road to Waterdeep - a smoking ruin of what it once was - and Elminister is at the head of an army of demons and orcs, a cruel war-master and tyrant.

Forgotten Dark-Realms. Or Forget the Realms you once knew or something....

FireLance

Legend
I picture a horrible war with two lines of impaled NPCs lining the road to Waterdeep - a smoking ruin of what it once was - and Elminister is at the head of an army of demons and orcs, a cruel war-master and tyrant.

Forgotten Dark-Realms. Or Forget the Realms you once knew or something....
Sunforgotten Darkrealms. The Dragon Elminster stalks the desert sands of Faerun, collecting his annual tribute of maidens from the seven city-states ruled by the Seven Sorcerer-Queen Sisters.

Personally, I think Darkdragon Sunlance, in which cannibal kender discover defiling magic and launch a world-ravaging genocide against all the other sentient races, has the better metaplot.

vagabundo

Adventurer
Sunforgotten Darkrealms. The Dragon Elminster stalks the desert sands of Faerun, collecting his annual tribute of maidens from the seven city-states ruled by the Seven Sorcerer-Queen Sisters.

Personally, I think Darkdragon Sunlance, in which cannibal kender discover defiling magic and launch a world-ravaging genocide against all the other sentient races, has the better metaplot.

I think we're nearly ready to pitch this baby. SCOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT................

Dice4Hire

First Post
I've complained about this myself in several threads. I played in a YAhoogroups game (which is still going strong years and years later, to their credit) and had one full-fledged and a couple noviate canon lawyers in there. Man, it was a pain.

To be fair to FR, I like the map, I like many of the regions, and I like some of the things they do there. It has always caught my imagination far more than Ebberon or many other campaign settings, and the FRCS was one of the best first non-core books I bought for 3.0, and I have not regretted buying it to this day for all its idea goodness.

The problem is playing FR with other people. If they are totally ignorant, like me, then it works well. If not, it does not, tothe point that for the last 8+ years of online gaming I have declined to join dozens of games due to a pair of simple letters in the game name or description. One is an 'F' You can guess the other.

Doug McCrae

Legend
I've never met one in real life, but I'm sure they exist. The sheer size of the realms encourages that type of fan. Y'know, really nerdy ones who love lots of pointless detail.

Last edited:

Doug McCrae

Legend
but the biggest problem is that Ed greenwood himself endurces and helped push this out..If you find his interview at the Tomb you will find a story he tells of the PCs being held by a king and about to be excuted...then elminster barges in and tells the king he must speak with him privatly right awya ((Of cource what king would dare refuse the sage of mary sue)) as el and the king went to a private room El winked at the PCs and motioned for them to run away...
Ed Greenwood is the queen of Mary Sues. The wink at the end is particularly fey and Greenwood-y. The whole damn place is a Canadian hippy free love swingers party inhabited by creepy old men who look like Gandalf.

Except naked.

S'mon

Legend
Ed Greenwood is the queen of Mary Sues. The wink at the end is particularly fey and Greenwood-y. The whole damn place is a Canadian hippy free love swingers party inhabited by creepy old men who look like Gandalf.

Except naked.

Yeah, umm, the thing is, did mid-Western TSR management realise this back in ca 1987 when they adopted Vancouverite Forgotten Realms and Greenwood as the new face of TSR? It just seems mind-boggling to me.

Slightly OT - These tales of Ed - in his own words, usually - always make wonder to what extent his players can actually have enjoyed his game. It just seems so appallingly bad GMing.

Ed Greenwood is the queen of Mary Sues. The wink at the end is particularly fey and Greenwood-y.

Yeah, umm, the thing is, did mid-Western TSR management realise this back in ca 1987 when they adopted Vancouverite Forgotten Realms and Greenwood as the new face of TSR? It just seems mind-boggling to me.

First I want to make sure everyone understands the Tomb Pod cast is not the first I herd of this sort of thing, however it is the only one I can back up with a recent quote...

But how can players who hate when there DMs railroad, mary sue and everything else even try to ask for them to do better, when the DM can come back with "The creater of the whole damn world agrees this is the RIGHT way to play it"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads