• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forgotten Realms - Dambrath Questions

Gromnar

First Post
Hi everyone,

I've some questions on the Dambrath region of Faerun pre-spellplague. They are mostly about the general theme of the country.

This is the setting of my new campaign, and I've got most of it down pat. My real head scratcher right now is how non crinti spellcasters are treated.

From reading both second edition and 3rd edition Shining South books, I'm getting a slightly mixed answer. It is known that the Crinti do not allow the native humans (Arkaiun's) to learn magic. One source suggests its just men, while 3rd edition says humans as a whole, regardless of their gender. It makes things a bit harder, but I can live with that.

What's not addressed is humans from other subraces, such as Halurraan, etc, or visitors to the realm. Granted, there are few people who come to Dambrath to stay for awhile, but some do.

The majority of my PC's are spellcasters, only two who are Crinti. Besides for those two Crinti, none are natives of Dambrath.

So, my questions are, for PC's and NPC's alike who are not arkaiun humans, is spellcasting forbidden to all except Crinti? Do visitors fall under the spellcasting ban? Do other human subraces fall under it as well?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yora

Legend
Since the punishment for teaching males magic is death even for crinti women, and the makes are executed as well, I wouldn't assume it applies to citizens only. You might get a pass as a foreign dignitary basically under diplomatic immunity, but I don't think the defense "I'm just a visitor and will leave again soon" will interest anyone.
If the male PC casters are discovered, the crinti PCs might be let off easily with a steep fine and exile if they can convice the judges that they didn't teach them anything. But the male spellcasters would be executed anyway.

I don't think it's culturally offensive when males can cast spells, but much more a safeguard to maintain the monopoly on magic. If foreigners do shameful or barbaric things, you can let it slide. But I think in the case of these laws, it's to ensure that males can never get their hands on magic. If it's an ambassador who is not allowed to leave his carriage and always guarded by a team of priestesses, they might be able to tollerate the presence of a male spellcaster. But if the PCs have contact with the people, they can spread the knowledge and that has to be prevented.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads