D&D 5E Forgotten Realms in 5E

Staffan

Legend
There's really not much in HotDQ I don't think that is really time-specific. Nothing in the plot that is directly related to anything from the Time of Troubles (3E) or Spellplague (4E) or Sundering (5E) that would require wholesale changes to the adventure path.
The main things from Hoard that would need changing to fit with pre-Spellplague Realms are:

* Greenest as an established town - in 3e FR it's described as a newly founded one, founded and governed by a halfing sorcerer sponsored by Amn.
* The artificial sun over Elturel.
* Fields of the Dead as being overrun with undead.
* Baldur's Gate having streets too narrow for horses and carts (that's not in the 4e description either, and makes absolutely no sense).

None of these points are both essential to the adventure and to the integrity of the pre-Spellplague Realms. Personally, I would use established Greenest, no artificial sun in Elturel, no hordes of undead in the Fields of the Dead, and Baldur's Gate being the open, trade-friendly city it has always been.

Elf Witch

First Post
I have decided to pick and choose what I like about the Realms. I spent the weekend reading a lot of sources and was left feeling overwhelmed. There is just so much history and change. And I really think the novels should be separate and not canon from the setting. Since most of my players know little about the Realms I have told them to consider it a home brew and that I was going to tweak things to my satisfaction.

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
Picking and choosing what you like about the Realms, and ignoring the rest, is what every Realms DM is supposed to do.

That's how great Realms campaigns are made.

Good luck. :)

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Exactly. In the past I loved being able to use the novels as part of the campaign simply because I had several players reading them as well, which made the whole campaign much more immersive since we all had a much broader knowledge of the world and what was happening. All of the history that we've created in the several campaigns I've run (with different people) are part of the history of my Realms.

But the whole idea is to make it your own. The only stuff that I'm really working to maintain in the timeline are the current releases simply because some of my players may be playing those adventures elsewhere, so once again it adds some depth to the campaign.

As for the gods, I haven't generally had any problem with changes in the past, except for the wholesale dismissal of the demihuman gods. But it appears that many of them will be returning. I'm pretty sure it's already been indicated somewhere that Eilistraee is returning for example.

Ilbranteloth

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
There's really not much in HotDQ I don't think that is really time-specific. Nothing in the plot that is directly related to anything from the Time of Troubles (3E) or Spellplague (4E) or Sundering (5E) that would require wholesale changes to the adventure path. So if you have older products from the 2E era... I suspect you could easily use those products and set Hoard then. The only real "new" thing from the module is the idea of a wing of the Cult of the Dragon deciding to forsake using dracolichs for power, and instead use living dragons to bring back Tiamat. But since that was a completely new plot anyway... you could add that new wing to any of your 2E stuff too.

Sure, there might be a town name or two that might need changing, and I don't know if all five factions are active in the 2E era (Harpers, Order of the Gauntlet, Lord's Alliance, Emerald Enclave, Zhentarim)... but those do not seem that difficult to edit into your products should you choose to stay 2E. Heck, I've moved HotDQ up to the 3E era Silver Marches and haven't had any issue just by using some creative adaptation.

Use whatever you'd feel most comfortable with is my suggestion.

Excactly my point. HotDQ does not seem to have specific FR historical reference points, thereby being able to be introduced in 1373, or 1479 or 1489. The one referential point made is that the Cult of the Dragon is moving away from creating dracoliches and are now aligned with the Red Wizards who oppose Zulkir Zass Tam. Even these, however, can take place in any historical timeframe.
For me the only reason to set in post 1489 is for Realms purists (or those introducing elements from the later FR novels). Since I only reference novels up to RA Salvatore's The Orc King, I am free to develop the future history of the Realms in my campaigns using 5e.

Last edited:

Torgaard

Explorer
Picking and choosing what you like about the Realms, and ignoring the rest, is what every Realms DM is supposed to do.

That's how great Realms campaigns are made.

Good luck. :)

That's how I do it as well. I use many official bits, some canon, some mostly canon, and alotta stuff I just make up with my imagination (which I usually keep inside my brain). I stick to whatever the current official date is. I stick to the major events in the timeline (ie Spellplague, Sundering, etc). I stick to the fates of major NPC's in the realm, as written (ie if Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun is long dead in official 1489 DR, then he's dead in my Realms as well, or extremely sleepy, plus not breath much, and by much I mean not at all ).

But for the most part; I keep a big giant (digital) stack of my old 2E and 3E source material close at hand, and rely on it HEAVILY for bringing life to my Realms. Note that it doesn't hurt that none of my players are super knowledgeable about the Forgotten Realms, so if some semi-obscure NPC from 2E comes strolling through town, none of my players are gonna break character and get all "Tsk! Ummm, that guy is from 2E and was like; killed during the Time of Troubles n' stuff!"

Players who bring facts to my games are promptly sacked*!

* Given a lovely new sack as a consolation gift for playing Fire Away, That's My Canon!

Remove ads