D&D 1E Forgotten Realms in AD&D 1st Edition a better setting for adventures?

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm not familiar enough with 1E FR but it's intriguing. I woukd be inclined to use it over 3E.

3E
1E
2E
5E
4E

That's probably my preferred order in feels I like 2E mechanics though eg specialty prints.

AnderNGmx

Explorer
Aren't there modules written for 1e with the lore accompanying them being the 1e campaign setting? The the 1e modules would be played with that setting, the 2e with the next and so on. A DM could just of course modify and adjust all the adventures for any edition but better to play the old adventures in their original setting as you can have quite the labor to perform since pantheons changed and the such.

Generally speaking i would rather squeeze even the last drop of the 1st edition FR campaign setting before moving on to the 2e one and would recommend this to everyone. This allows a gradual, fun, and relaxed learning of the setting. It does not just dump everything one you that already happened and you are now at its 5th or 6th version.

Knorrrssk

Explorer
Aren't there modules written for 1e with the lore accompanying them being the 1e campaign setting? The the 1e modules would be played with that setting, the 2e with the next and so on. A DM could just of course modify and adjust all the adventures for any edition but better to play the old adventures in their original setting as you can have quite the labor to perform since pantheons changed and the such.

Generally speaking i would rather squeeze even the last drop of the 1st edition FR campaign setting before moving on to the 2e one and would recommend this to everyone. This allows a gradual, fun, and relaxed learning of the setting. It does not just dump everything one you that already happened and you are now at its 5th or 6th version.
The campaign set was for first edition rather than 2nd edition (although there was a later 2e version), and is useful because the Cyclopaedia can be referenced by the players and the big maps are handy. There are some 1e modules, but not that many really. Under Ilefarn is quite useful though.

Last edited:

AnderNGmx

Explorer
I liked the gold box computer game, the one with the Cult of Moander and the corpse of Moander which was like a dungeon, don't remember which it was. Since he was involved it was 1e? Or the transition from 1e to 2e or something like that.

Knorrrssk

Explorer
I liked the gold box computer game, the one with the Cult of Moander and the corpse of Moander which was like a dungeon, don't remember which it was. Since he was involved it was 1e? Or the transition from 1e to 2e or something like that.
Curse of the Azure Bonds? The module it was based on was 2nd edition. But the computer game was a sequel to Pool of Radiance which was 1st edition.

AnderNGmx

Explorer
thank you :) yes, that is why it probably has the moander dungeon corpse (trilogy of Pool of Radiance, Pools of Darkness, Curse of the Azure Bonds) and it reminded me of the transition from 1st to 2nd edition. Both games some sort of bit of moander monsters and some other creatures like that.

This trilogy is a good example of the system editions and the editions of the settings as the lore changes and world changing events occur.

Knorrrssk

Explorer
thank you :) yes, that is why it probably has the moander dungeon corpse (trilogy of Pool of Radiance, Pools of Darkness, Curse of the Azure Bonds) and it reminded me of the transition from 1st to 2nd edition. Both games some sort of bit of moander monsters and some other creatures like that.

This trilogy is a good example of the system editions and the editions of the settings as the lore changes and world changing events occur.
As it happens, amongst other things I will also have hooks for Ruins of Adventure (the 1e module based on Pools of Radiance) queued up as rumours in their starting town of Shadowdale in case they want to go and investigate.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas

There were actually four, but the third (Secret of the Silver Blades) involved an endless series of ice caves and is pretty unpopular from what I gather.

Brings back the memories...

Remove ads