• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forgotten Realms Minotaur

J-Buzz

First Post
What Region in the Forgotten Realms Campaign setting would Minotaurs come from? If you can find this information in a book, which book?

I was thinking either the Underdark or The Spine of the World.

Also what would be a good name for one?

Aaron L

Hero
I think Underdark mentions minotaurs living there, so youre right on the money with that already. As for names, Ive never seen any specific naming conventions for them, so maybe just go back to the basics and give them Greek (or Minoan) names?

Minos the minotaur. Heh.

werk

First Post
I seem to remember there being concentrations of minotaurs and gnolls in Vaasa and Thar in the north and scattered through the Shaar in the south. I may be making that up, so I'll check some of my books at home and report back if I find anything valuable.

Their environment is listed as underground in the SRD...That seems odd to me.

MojoGM

First Post
This may sound silly, but in my Spelljammer game years ago I modeled the minotaurs after Klingons and gave them Klingon names...Ghuron and so forth...

J-Buzz

First Post
Thanks everyone for the ideas.

I like both the naming ideas. Makes the name sound different, I might actually use the Ghuron name...... :)

Imruphel

First Post
There is a region known as the Labyrinth in the Underdark beneath the Silver Marches. Minotaurs, plus the tiefling-equivalent (sorry, the name escapes me), can be found there. If you've got 3E's Underdark you'll be able to discover a little bit more information (including the name of the tiefling-minotaur); alternatively, 2E's Driz'zt Do'urden's Guide to the Underdark also has some information.

As for names, Ghuron sounds good while Greek names probably don't suit FR's well-established naming conventions (IMO).

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Most of the minotaurs in camapaigns I've played or run have had "jokey" names...

Sir Loin, Black Angus, Chorr-dann...

I did, however, play one whose name, while humerous, was also based on culture...

Tu-maa, Ghostwalker, was a white (not albino) minotaur (Hurloon Minotaur art inspired the PC) from a culture based on Plains Indians.

Basically- decide upon a cultural structure, and the naming system will suggest itself.

Remove ads