• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forked Thread: Changeover poll

When did you move to 3e?

Hussar

Legend
Edena - I'm actually REALLY curious about this. Those who are banging the "4e is destroying D&D" drum are claiming this huge divide in the community. I'm thinking that the divide is no different than the last time around.

Right now, as I post this, there are 3 votes, you're is the earliest changeover with 3 months. I predict that those who switched immedietely will be a very small minority.

Hussar

Legend
You may have neglected to add a "didn't switch" option.

Sam

Not really. If you didn't switch, this poll does not pertain to you.

I'm only curious about those who made the switch, since, let's face it, the vast majority of D&D players DID make the switch. Those playing earlier editions are a pretty small minority as it stands.

Samuel Leming

First Post
Edena - I'm actually REALLY curious about this. Those who are banging the "4e is destroying D&D" drum are claiming this huge divide in the community. I'm thinking that the divide is no different than the last time around.
A lot more than drum banging axe grinders are claiming this huge divide. Most of what I'm seeing are objections based on taste.

I think things will be different this time around. Those that 4e serves better will switch as their campaigns allow while those that don't like 4e style will find continued support elsewhere. Different factors are present.

Not really. If you didn't switch, this poll does not pertain to you.

I'm only curious about those who made the switch, since, let's face it, the vast majority of D&D players DID make the switch. Those playing earlier editions are a pretty small minority as it stands.
Ah. Good thing I put a 'may have' in there. ;)

Sam

MrApothecary

First Post

Incorrect. 2e was basically dead when 3e was announced. 3.5e was still alive when 4e was announced.

Hussar

Legend
Incorrect. 2e was basically dead when 3e was announced. 3.5e was still alive when 4e was announced.

TSR went out of business, true, but, 2e was hardly "dead". It was still being played and played widely. No other RPG (with a possible exception of Vampire for a very brief period of time - a few months possibly) managed to knock D&D off it's top spot.

2e was hardly dead. Heck, I'm a veteran of PlanetAd&d and I can attest to the fact that there was lots of 2e being played.

Your point is somewhat true though - there are far and away more 3e players than 2e.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I fell in love with the modularity of the system before it was released. I switched four mohts before the release because I had a freind, Brian Corvello who was in on the loop of the 3E development.

2e was dead when 3e came along. No one in the game stores were playing 2e. All of the poorly written splat books and fracturing of the class system took its toll. I had started playing VtM in highschool which replaced D&D for years. When I was in the Marines we would play Ars Magica in Greyhawk (much better for a "Circle of Eight" campaign) rather than use 2e. Heck, we even converted D&D to Heroes (Champions), but Ars Magica was still better.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads