• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forked Thread: Do RPGs' Wargaming Aspects Overshadow RPing?

apoptosis

First Post
Forked from: Do RPGs' Wargaming Aspects Overshadow RPing?

Tsillanabor said:
We've had quite a few sessions of pure role-playing without a single rolled die, so I'd say no.

Never forked before..hmmm

This is an issue i wanted to create a discussion about.

I see this quote a bit. I used to say it myself.

in my case i usually meant, we had session where we did not use the system mechanics (which usually consists of die rolling but could be using some other game mechanic resource) for several session.

As i have both played more different types of games and have had less time to play, i have come to ponder that if i am doing this, i am possibly not using an ideal system for that game.

Lately (well probably longer than lately) my thoughts are that the system should be used a lot during a session and if that is not happening I feel like i am probably using the wrong system for the campaign (of course i can play many different games so this is not about any specific system).

Some of this is also based in the fact that i have limited time to game compared to what I used to so I want the drama and tension (and i definitely don't mean just physical combat) in the game pushed which usually means pushing the use of the system and this probably influences my thoughts.

This is not about badwrong fun but mostly a topic to start a CIVIL discussion and exploration of the issue of whether if you are not regularly using the system during your session should you change systems and get other peoples ideas on this.

At worked so typed it fas; i apologize for the poor sentence structure.

Last edited:

RFisher

Explorer
I have this ideal that the perfect RPG uses no mechanics. Being imperfect, however, I need the crutch of mechanics to lean on most of the time. Sessions without mechanics are those times when my group and I manage to approach the ideal.

But then, I’m weird. ^_^

Remove ads