• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forked Thread: Farewell to thee D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarvis31

First Post
Celatavian,

My basic feelings about 4e are the same as yours.
I've been a lurker on Enworld for years. This is actually my first post. I've been an avid DND player since 1981 a long marriage indeed. I must admit that although I have not actually played 4e, I understand where you are coming from. Reading the players handbook was enough for me. The 4e version of DND is fundamentally different from what I loved and enjoyed about the game.

In the beginning a new player would sit in on a game, and after watching and listening to the players and DM for a short time, would ask if they could join in. Knowledge of the rules was for the most part secondary to the playing of the character. Enough rules could be learned in the first 15 minutes to play the game. Rolling up a character was a simple as throwing a few dice and took 2 minutes. Learning the rules for a new player amounted to reading the Page or 2 in the players handbook about your class.

I always envied the new players, because (not knowing the rules) they would be willing to attempt anything no matter how fantastic, and often succeed. I was almost always the DM then.

I didn't like the 2nd edition of DND. (I only read the players handbook and only played it once.)
So I stuck with the first edition ADND.

Years later when the 3rd edition came out, I caved in to the demand of the players, and gave it a try.
I liked it for a time, more as a player than a DM, and upgraded to 3.5 when the time came.
I never did DM a 3.5 game, properly. The preparation time for a game had become tedious for me, and I had become obsessed with trying to learn all the rules. When I heard that a 4e was coming out, that was the last straw. I didn't even want to play anymore. I haven't played in almost a year.
With 4e it was over for me also. Alas, Farewell DND?

In direct response to your post, DND did not leave us. We left her a long time ago. When the new shiny books came out we bought them and “upgraded”. Shelving the less shiny books, and leaving the loving marriage behind us. We hoped for a new younger more attractive bride, and never looked back. We have in effect been sleeping around for a long long time. We tried all the newer and prettier versions, and finally we realize that its not the same.

She has never left. She still awaits. Unchanged. Wherever you left her.
I have no complaints about how 2e 3e or 4e works. Its not about that. I understand why the newer versions don't work for me. I understand what your saying and agree with you.

For me the solution is to try M20 and break away from the rules encyclopedia sets that cost so much, and do not fill the void I feel. I will be dusting off my ADND books next month. I think that it is an appropriatly named game. Advanced Dungeons and Dragons.

Sorry for the long post,
Tarvis31

Semah G Noj

First Post
Oh, for the love of God, can we quit this? Or can we just start an "I'm taking my ball and go home" meta thread or something?

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Oh, for the love of God, can we quit this? Or can we just start an "I'm taking my ball and go home" meta thread or something?

You do not have to read all the threads on EN World, nor are you forced to post in them.

If all you have is vitriol, kindly keep it to yourself, eh?

Rechan

Adventurer
You do not have to read all the threads on EN World, nor are you forced to post in them.

If all you have is vitriol, kindly keep it to yourself, eh?
And you don't have to read his comment or reply to it. Can you take your own advice?

Last edited:

cwhs01

First Post
A few things. First, it's cool that you've tried the different versions (or at least read the phb) before deciding. Second, i concur that third edition could be a chore to gm for, i suspect this may be less the case in 4e. Thirdly, maybe you went a little overboard with the melodrama?

Celatavian,
In direct response to your post, DND did not leave us. We left her a long time ago. When the new shiny books came out we bought them and “upgraded”. Shelving the less shiny books, and leaving the loving marriage behind us. We hoped for a new younger more attractive bride, and never looked back. We have in effect been sleeping around for a long long time. We tried all the newer and prettier versions, and finally we realize that its not the same.

She has never left. She still awaits. Unchanged. Wherever you left her.
I have no complaints about how 2e 3e or 4e works. Its not about that. I understand why the newer versions don't work for me. I understand what your saying and agree with you.

Rechan

Adventurer
...right, because my post was obviously as nasty as the one I quoted.
Your argument is "If you don't like something, go away instead of commenting", considering the first line of your post:

If that isn't the case, then perhaps you should've said that Semah could say what he wants as long as he phrases it more politely.

rounser

First Post
Who cares that it annoys you? I'm more annoyed that my game has been made into this, and put up with endless twisted logic for how the changes are better, coming from your camp. I don't ask for you to be all packaged off to a sub-forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads