• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forked Thread: GTS 2009 D&D Seminar - 4e video game

xechnao

First Post
Yes, that might work. Do you think it wouldn't?

How would you implement dailies or milestones? If you did not bother with these or found a different mechanic (in encounter combat morale for example) it could be feasible. But all the maps and groups of maps should be tied for a campaign driven reason to visit and explore and track-. Also there in ja there was a big excitement about the goodies you found in the maps while exploring or eliminating the enemies: they did not just influence your abilities, they created them: grenades, firearms, bullets, explosives, heavy weapons, armor etch. How would you deal with 4e regarding these two things?

xechnao

First Post
Two quick comments.

1. The "partially real time, partially turn based" isn't that uncommon in CRPGs. Several bioware games defaulted to real time, but ran on clearly defined initiative sequences, and allowed you to pause at will and issue commands which were then carried out during your next time up in the initiative line. Functionally, that's a turn based rpg pretending to be a real time rpg, with a really awkward interface. Improve the interface, make the game default to turn based but give each character a basic AI that will function in the real time if given no specific orders, and you'd be good to go.
Difference here is that movement and positioning of everyone was happening at the same time.

Cadfan

First Post
Here's the first picture. It summarizes the typical plot system used by most computerized RPGs.

Attachments

• Typical Computer RPG.JPG
    Typical Computer RPG.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 77

Cadfan

First Post
Difference here is that movement and positioning of everyone was happening at the same time.
I know. But it was really, REALLY close to a turn based game masquerading as a real time game. The hybridization wasn't perfect, but it was certainly there. If you played a spellcaster in some of these games, pausing and unpausing was your bread and butter.

hong

WotC's bitch
How would you implement dailies or milestones? If you did not bother with these or found a different mechanic (in encounter combat morale for example) it could be feasible. But all the maps and groups of maps should be tied for a campaign driven reason to visit and explore and track-. Also there in ja there was a big excitement about the goodies you found in the maps while exploring or eliminating the enemies: they did not just influence your abilities, they created them: grenades, firearms, bullets, explosives, heavy weapons, armor etch. How would you deal with 4e regarding these two things?

Well, as was said before:
Why ask me? I'm not being paid money to design a game. I'm just describing what I'd like.​

But: dailies and milestones are... dailies and milestones. Maybe there might be a map-specific quest for every map... or there might not. BG had a different quest on every map, but I don't think it's that important as to warrant a bullet point. Items would be handled according to how 4E parcels out items... or maybe not, because bling appears to be a bigger part of the videogame zeitgeist than 4E RAW.

xechnao

First Post
Here's the first picture. It summarizes the typical plot system used by most computerized RPGs.

Since maps are limited and one can choose to take or not certain quests on them, for each time he decides to take a quest there must be a challenge for that quest on the map. This is also why random elements in the maps were important. You had to go away to safely rest or trade equipment so you could not clean a whole map in one go -usually you had enough resources for one quest-. When you turned back enemies were respawned but now you could search to complete another quest. More or less.

xechnao

First Post
I know. But it was really, REALLY close to a turn based game masquerading as a real time game. The hybridization wasn't perfect, but it was certainly there. If you played a spellcaster in some of these games, pausing and unpausing was your bread and butter.

Yeah but 4e rules are based on turn based timing of positioning much more.

hong

WotC's bitch
Ooh, another want: show off some of the features of the nifty new 4E cosmology. That means travelling to the Feywild, Shadowfell, Elemental Chaos, etc.

Cadfan

First Post
Here's the next mission. It summarizes level design, or quest design, in the typical CRPG.

There are certain similarities to region design. You start at a gate. You enter a period of pseudo freedom. And then you end again at a gate.

This is probably unavoidable. The key, though, is to consider the nature of that pseudo freedom in the middle, and how it can be improved.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads