• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forked Thread: GTS 2009 D&D Seminar - 4e video game

xechnao

First Post
This one.

One of the consequences of the pseudo open ended gameplay that we're familiar with from these games is that dungeons, castles, cities... all tend to be places where enemies sort of mill about, and attack if you get too close.

If you change that so that battles take place in specific scenarios with enemies who are there for a reason, and where retreat isn't an option without accepting defeat, its easy to come up with defined milestones where powers might recharge.

I told you there is an important problem with this. You would have to build the whole game on a plethora of different script paths and IMO this is an immensely difficult task to accomplish.

Moreover, even if it were made the game would feel as a string of tactical combats as you said. You have to include some randomness to give this open game feeling.

hong

WotC's bitch
Moreover, even if it were made the game would feel as a string of tactical combats as you said. You have to include some randomness to give this open game feeling.

Random encounters have nothing to do with the choice of ruleset or recharge mechanic you use.

xechnao

First Post
Recharging equipment is not what I am talking about. It is about the limits build on the use of equipment objects: how much you could carry, how it got consumed (when to save it ,when to use it, how to trade with the merchants: what to buy, what to sell etch.

xechnao

First Post
Random encounters have nothing to do with the choice of ruleset or recharge mechanic you use.

They have if the randomness must be informed in one way or the other-ways being the options you have and can choose. It is the basis on how BG open ended exploration was build.

hong

WotC's bitch
Recharging equipment is not what I am talking about. It is about the limits build on the use of equipment objects: how much you could carry, how it got consumed (when to save it ,when to use it, how to trade with the merchants: what to buy, what to sell etch.

Oh. Well, when you introduced "equipment recharge" as an issue in the context of 4E recharge mechanics, I (perhaps foolishly) thought that it was meant to be related to those mechanics.

But as it turns out, this is totally unrelated to the choice of ruleset, and so it is irrelevant to that particular topic.

hong

WotC's bitch
They have if the randomness must be informed in one way or the other-ways being the options you have and can choose.

The randomness does not have to be informed by anything that is remotely connected to this thread. In fact, since 4E has daily resources just like 2E, it can work in exactly the same way.

It is the basis on how BG open ended exploration was build.

The presence of random encounters helps to make BG's exploration interesting. The details of those random encounters do not matter so much.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Very, very minor restrictions. Trust me, d00d. I have played every Bioware game since BG because I am an unrequited Bioware fanboy. (They even named a star system after me!) Their formula has not changed, and it does not depend on AD&D-style resource management the way that you are making this song and dance about.
Exactly - Jade Empire delivered a great RP experience with a biiiig plot twist - despite being closer to a twitch game than a "classic" RPG like BG.

The only problem is probably: 4E will not port 100% into a CRPG - because it was designed as a tabletop game.

But a good adaption needs to take some liberties anyway.

Cheers, LT.

xechnao

First Post
But as it turns out, this is totally unrelated to the choice of ruleset, and so it is irrelevant to that particular topic.

Is it? Think of the scrolls, wands etch, equipping the various weapons what big effect in the gameplay they had.
They cant have the same effect in the 4e. 4e has its own things to track and manage in tactical combat that BG did not have. If you mix the two I get the feeling that you would make a very overwhelming game, gameplay wise.

hong

WotC's bitch
Exactly - Jade Empire delivered a great RP experience with a biiiig plot twist - despite being closer to a twitch game than a "classic" RPG like BG.

The only problem is probably: 4E will not port 100% into a CRPG - because it was designed as a tabletop game.

But a good adaption needs to take some liberties anyway.

Cheers, LT.

I would give my left nostril (I've already pledged my left _and_ right nuts) for Bioware to make a 4E game. Unfortunately, I don't think they like WotC's license restrictions for D&D; WotC basically have a PG game in mind, and Bio prefer to make M games these days....

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads