• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forked Thread: Improved Encounter Builder

hailstop

First Post
Forked from: My 3 quibbles with 4e

OchreJelly said:
As an aside, (if Mike is still reading): I really, REALLY wish the DDI Encounter Builder went the extra step and had a streamlined combat-ready print option of each monster entry in the encounter you build complete with a combat worksheet attached to each entry.

This.

Next to the Character Builder, I would really, really, really love to have a good Encounter Builder. One that not only could grab monsters from the Compendium, but also include alterations (ie level increases, decreases) of current monsters, and include new monsters you generate yourself...and then print them out in the format like in the MM.

Heck, as an added bonus, have an option to publish said new monster, and have a rating system that other users could apply to them (in order to separate the good ones from the bad ones).

Even though one can print out monsters from the Compendium, the output isn't exactly user friendly, compared to the MM output.

NMcCoy

Explorer
Seconded. Include the encounter templates ("commander and troops", etc.), level-tweaking and template adding, and printing proper statblocks and I'm sold on an annual subscription.

Breezly

First Post
Thirded. It would be invaluable if this were an option. I imagine the fact it is free precludes that currently, but if they wrapped up a printable version into the DDI, then I too would be sold.

--Breezly

OchreJelly

First Post
Neat, I got forked! :) In all honesty, for me something like this ranks up higher than the visualizer or game table. I know that the devs considered the encounter builder to be more of a bonus but a 2.0 version with some of these features would be really nice.

To put it another way, I largely maintain a DDI subscription so that I can use the compendium / builder to prep for game.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
I would like to see skill challenges somehow incorporated into the Encounter Builder, or, if not, a Skill Challenge Builder tool.

avin

First Post
I requested an update of the (bonus tools) Encounter Builder at Wotc boards and was told their focus at this moment is CB and the Compendium.

Encounter Builder is perfect for DMs.

It should work this way:

1 - Go to the NEW AND IMPROVED Encounter Builder.
2 - Create the name of the encounter, select party number and level (as it is already).
3 - Choose the monsters (already working but not updated anymore).
4 - Print the encounter on a 4x4 table straight on paper.

OchreJelly

First Post
Exactly. My thinking is if they have the data already for a minis stat-card version which is normalized for size constraints, they could apply the same to a printable version. Of course not everything in the Compendium is on a minis card, so that's probably an issue.

Night

First Post
I really don't understand why they didn't do it this way in the first place! Free or no, they could simply have linked to the compendium entries. It'd be more useful than it is currently; would make it a lot faster for me to just click and grab and print on my own than going back and pulling everything back up a second time.

D'karr

Adventurer
I really don't understand why they didn't do it this way in the first place! Free or no, they could simply have linked to the compendium entries. It'd be more useful than it is currently; would make it a lot faster for me to just click and grab and print on my own than going back and pulling everything back up a second time.

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing but the creatures that show up in the Encounter Builder are linked to their respective compendium entries.

Click on the "eye" icon next to the creature name and a pop-up window will show the stats for the creature. See the attached picture below.

Like I said, I don't know if that is what you are referring to.

Attachments

• EncounterBuilder.PNG
    EncounterBuilder.PNG
    232.9 KB · Views: 135

SabreCat

First Post
It'd be much more useful to have those things in the final encounter printout, though. Sure, I can pop each monster's statblock up, and meticulously copy it over and lay it out... but the Encounter Builder comes so close to making me not have to!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads