• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forked Thread: Multiclassing for at-wills

DreamChaser

Explorer
Forked from: Multiclassing for at-wills

Kordeth said:
The issue isn't that it's too powerful, IMO. It's that it only benefits a tiny handful of multiclass feats and leaves all those who grant limited class feature access out in the cold. If you're trying to design a feat to boost multiclassing effectiveness, you should try to come up with something that will help any multiclass character, not just the three or four that actually grant an at-will attack as an encounter power.

I actually did exactly that...it was decried as too powerful without suggestions for improving it...perhaps here we can discuss balancing it.

Of course, the core issue was that the OP wanted a way to get a multiclass at will as an at will w/o paragon mc. My feat solved that.

thoughts?

DC

Flipguarder

First Post
Being the op of the original thread, I'd just like to say that some of the at-will powers for classes just seem too good to offer with a simple feat.

For instance, my original idea was to get this power somehow:

Righteous Brand Cleric Attack 1
At-Will ✦ Divine,Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and one ally within
5 squares of you gains a power bonus to melee attack rolls
against the target equal to your Strength modifier until the
end of your next turn.

Now just imagine a glaive build Warden, with sudden roots, agile opportunist and heavy blade opportunity, and blade opportunist

Every opportunity attack (and I get a lot) I have an extra +2 to hit, slow the enemy, and someone within 5 squares gets a +6 to their next attack. That seems slightly too powerful to me.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Being the op of the original thread, I'd just like to say that some of the at-will powers for classes just seem too good to offer with a simple feat.

At-Will ✦ Divine,Weapon
end of your next turn.

Now just imagine a glaive build Warden, with sudden roots, agile opportunist and heavy blade opportunity, and blade opportunist

Every opportunity attack (and I get a lot) I have an extra +2 to hit, slow the enemy, and someone within 5 squares gets a +6 to their next attack. That seems slightly too powerful to me.

The multiclassing rules allow you to do this.

I am building a multiclass Fighter/Cleric, and will be getting that very at-will power with it. But the cost is, of course, a ton of feats along the way. I think it is worth it for the build and concept I have in mind.

Flipguarder

First Post
Imo the feats needed to make that build work are

multiclass
Multiclass encounter switch
Multiclass daily switch
Multiclass utility switch
Heavy blade opportunity

4 of which will probably have very little positive effect on the way your character works.

And you have to forgo a paragon path.

thats a WHOLE lot to sacrifice to get an atwill from another class to use with AoO's.

DreamChaser

Explorer

At-Will ✦ Divine,Weapon
end of your next turn.

One of those feats must be one that allows you to use an at-will with an opportunity attack...you're talking 4 feats to gain (at paragon levels) a +6ish for one ally against one opponent if that opponent happens to invoke an opportunity attack. I guess I don't understand how this is an issue.

Nor do I understand how a Warden / Cleric paragon MC doesn't have this issue already.

DC

Remove ads