• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forked Thread: should wotc make a board/minis game to market in toy stores?

would you buy this, and why

• I'd buy it to use as a board game

Votes: 36 57.1%
  • I'd buy it to introduce others to D&D

Votes: 23 36.5%
  • I'd buy it to use the accessories in my tabletop 'book game'

Votes: 36 57.1%
  • I'd buy it for some other reason [explained in my post]

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I would NOT buy it [explained in my post]

Votes: 17 27.0%
  • Other [explained in my post]

Votes: 0 0.0%

jephlewis

First Post
There was a thread about 4E lite rules here...

In this thread new RPGer's played with "playmats" which I have found excellent for newcomers, perhaps the makings of character cards on one page... :)
Both of these are most excellent finds! My hat is off to you!
What do you think about these '4E lite' rules? Do you think they'd be a good match for a 4E board game? My 12 second scan through them seem to indicate that they simply reduce some rolls and random numbers here and there; overall, damn good rules for quick games.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
I think it's because i'm a relatively new member, and it's been six months since 4E's release, so everybody's 'well, different strokes and all'; no need to poop on what others think is fun, right?
Maybe I rolled a natural 20 for diplomacy when I made the thread???:D

I haven't been reading or posting for about a month so maybe all of the hate is gone with the holiday cheer. Who knows? Whatever the reason its a welcome change.

By 'advanced heroquest-D&D-ified', you mean buildable dungeons with tiles, plastic minis, furniture, trap, treasure, and monster cards? I ask because i've only seen and played [and still own] the milton bradley 'regular non advanced' heroquest.

Advanced Heroquest just had miniatures and tiles. I think if Wizards did something like this they should go all out with furniture and everything else. Advanced Heroquest just had a lot more options. You used real dice and your stats and everything else improved over time. Was a great game. If you haven't, check out Board Game Geek. They have a lot of info on old board games. Here's a link to Advanced Heroquest that goes into more detail: Advanced Heroquest | BoardGameGeek

jephlewis

First Post
I haven't been reading or posting for about a month so maybe all of the hate is gone with the holiday cheer. Who knows? Whatever the reason its a welcome change.
I'm with you there.
Advanced Heroquest just had miniatures and tiles. I think if Wizards did something like this they should go all out with furniture and everything else. Advanced Heroquest just had a lot more options. You used real dice and your stats and everything else improved over time. Was a great game. If you haven't, check out Board Game Geek. They have a lot of info on old board games. Here's a link to Advanced Heroquest that goes into more detail: Advanced Heroquest | BoardGameGeek
Yes; 'all out' with 3d scenery, totally.
1. boardgamegeek is back up YAY!
2. Why did 'not advanced heroquest' come with little pieces of furniture while the advanced one didn't?
3. this --->Advanced Heroquest Image | BoardGameGeek is a lot like how descent did their room tiles. Interesting....
4. What is this round thing, and why is it in four pieces? Advanced Heroquest Image | BoardGameGeek
5. How much was the game sold for in US dollars when it came out [I'm pretty sure it was never released in the US]?
6. How popular was this game compared to others of it's time? I mean, did lots of people play it, or was it just a niche thing?
7. How long was it around, in years?
8. I have, I think two expansions for 'not advanced heroquest' in addition to the main game; did they ever make expansions for the advanced versions, and did they sell well? What came with them? New minis, quests, tiles, cards?
9. Didn't they stop selling this game, repackage it, and sell it as 'warhammer quest'?

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
Query: Where does Heroscape that WOTC now produce fall under the boardgame label?

Good point.

My friends and I got into Heroscape something fierce for about a year, and then it just died. Like suddenly, one day, it was just dead, and none of us cared (except for one who keeps saying, "Man, I really want to play Heroscape again..."). Those of us that spent the money just said "Oh well," and forgot about it.

I don't know what my point is, but it might be something like "Heroscape was a great idea, but even with customizable terrain and some pretty decent minis [that we've used for D&D and other games, like Paranoia], there's just something lacking in long-term play."

Even with that said, though, the terrain easily points towards the capabilities of Hasbro/WOTC being able to do some pretty nice 3D terrain that's customizable and fairly inexpensive. WOTC 3D Dungeons with furniture...certainly a possibility, I'd say! And the perfect accessory that could work both ways for a Boardgame and a PNP supplement.

Honestly, I don't buy Dungeon Tiles, but I'd buy some cheap, customizable plastic dungeony stuff. It'd be hard to replace my dry-erase mat entirely, but I'd make set-piece battles with it in a heartbeat!

JVisgaitis

Explorer
I'm with you there.
Yes; 'all out' with 3d scenery, totally.
1. boardgamegeek is back up YAY!

Didn't realize it was ever down...

2. Why did 'not advanced heroquest' come with little pieces of furniture while the advanced one didn't?

Not 100% sure, but it was a pure Games Workshop release. I assume cost was the main factor. That and Games Workshop wanted to promote their minis above all else.

4. What is this round thing, and why is it in four pieces? Advanced Heroquest Image | BoardGameGeek

It was an amulet. The main quest had you getting the four pieces of it. The cool thing is there was an inscription on it that you could only read in a mirror. Was a cool game aid.

5. How much was the game sold for in US dollars when it came out [I'm pretty sure it was never released in the US]?

It was definitely released in the US. I think around the $50 mark, but I could be wrong. That was a long time ago...

6. How popular was this game compared to others of it's time? I mean, did lots of people play it, or was it just a niche thing?

It's hard to say. It was for sale at all of the comic book stores at the time. I know it had at least one expansion. My area is horrible for gaming as the closest "real" gamestore is about 80 miles away. I'm not sure how well it did, but it at least spawned a sequel that had a lot of expansions in Warhammer Quest.

7. How long was it around, in years?

I remember wanting it for at least a few years. Maybe 3 or 4 years.

8. I have, I think two expansions for 'not advanced heroquest' in addition to the main game; did they ever make expansions for the advanced versions, and did they sell well? What came with them? New minis, quests, tiles, cards?

The expansion I know of was undead and had a new quest and tiles. I don't think it had miniatures (I think that was the reason I ever bought it) and according to BGG, there was only the one expansion. Warhammer Quest (its successor) had two expansion which were full blown quest expansions with tiles, miniatures, and other goodies. They also had at least a half dozen Hero Packs which were basically new player characters with miniatures, cards, etc.

9. Didn't they stop selling this game, repackage it, and sell it as 'warhammer quest'?

No, Warhammer Quest was a bit different. It had better components, but dropped the Dungeon Master which I thought was a mistake. Also, the game was ridiculously hard and took a long time to play. A good game in its own right, but not as good as Advanced Hero Quest.

RFisher

Explorer
Currently, people can buy dungeon tiles, power cards [releasing next year], and minis for their tabletop game. I'm assuming that you don't think 4E is a hybrid; if you DO think 4E is currently a hybrid, please ignore the rest of this...

I don’t think I’ve played enough 4e (a handful of sessions) to form much of an opinion.

About all I can say about it is that it has lead me to question some of the things I thought I wanted from an RPG by actually giving them to me. (Which, oddly enough, was my eventual conclusion concerning 3e as well.)

The main items added in this board game would be
a)multiple 'accessories' in one big box instead of buying them separately
b)additional 3d and 2d items to make the game more interactive, easier, and faster to learn.
c)the same quick start rules as what is in keep on the shadowfell and the starter set instead of a player's handbook
At what point does it become a hybrid? What makes it a hybrid? What must be removed to make it no longer a hybrid?
What if you wanted to introduce someone to D&D specifically? Do you think that a game like this would aid or impede someone learning the basics of 4ED&D?

I think trying to come up with a clear definition of hybrid is beside the point.

So far, the best introductions to RPGs that I’ve experienced are the 1981 D&D Basic Set and Prince Valiant. I think two of the important qualities of them are that they are both relatively “complete” (though PV moreso) and that no reasonable person would define them as a hybrid rather than a straight RPG.

(Though PV does try to make a distinction between itself—a “storytelling game”—and RPGs. Despite that PV is clearly an RPG.)

Perhaps it also has something to do with the lack of dungeon tiles or minis or such accessories. I don’t know about that, but it is something they have in common.

People who are going to be RPG fans don’t need anything to get them started but an RPG. Rather, there can be aspects of an RPG that make it less suitable as a introductory game. The problem with 4e is simply that it is too complex. And, IME, a simplified version of a complex game still isn’t as good at the task as the 120 page PV game.

The caveat here is that I’m speaking about people who don’t have access to experienced RPGers. Nigh any RPG can be a good introductory RPG if you have an experienced GM.

That said, when I tried a few sessions with my son when he was around 5 to 6yo, even with me as GM, I found PV to work better than even the 1981 D&D Basic Set.

Speaking as someone who never got to play this, how was the game played [like, what were the rules and stuff]? What were the things you enjoyed about dungeon? What 'fiddly bits' were included? What could have been improved in your opinion? Were there any other games that had similar elements? What 'fiddly bits' did you use in your fantasy rpg games?

Hmm. Some of the bits I enjoy about Dungeon!...

Some of the characters are “stronger” than others, but they have higher victory conditions. So, if you play the wizard, you need to head straight towards the deeper levels to have any chance of accumulating your higher quota of treasure before the elf gets the little amount he needs.

That brings up the question of how to get to the lower levels. Do you hope you can find a secret door quickly for a direct route? Or do you go the long way? Can you use a teleport spell or two to get there quicker?

If you’re the super-hero, do you slum on the lower levels for a bit in the hopes of finding a magic sword? The monsters won’t be a danger to you, but you may lose valuable time.

The magic-items—ESP medallion and crystal ball come to mind—can be used to great effect once found.

Planning your path can mean a lot. How many rooms will I be able to explore without going through a chamber if I go this way rather than that? Chambers are the equivalent of wandering monsters. They are intersection rooms that contain only monsters—no treasure.

Do I take on that monster who is now guarding all the items it got from killing me and another character, or do I just write that stuff off and continue looting unexplored rooms? Killing that one monster will earn a lot of loot, but it is probably a pretty tough monster to have accumulated that treasure.

I also love the way that Wizards can cast a spell blind into a room from the hallway. It might be a waste of a spell (you choose fireball and the monster turned out to be immune to it), but you don’t have to worry about the monster counter-attacking.

Which brings up the resource management of spells for wizards.

It’s a simple game. Basically a distillation of the naïve depiction of early D&D. Not really an RPG in any sense, but a fun board game.

BTW, Dungeon was actually designed by a member of the Blackmoor campaign after Arneson ran an expedition into the dungeons under Castle Blackmoor. Dungeon was demo’d to Gygax when they went to demo Blackmoor to him. Gary said Dungeon itself was an influence on D&D!

Query: Where does Heroscape that WOTC now produce fall under the boardgame label?

Heroscape doesn't have any roleplaying aspect, as it's solely a skirmish game. It doesn't seem to fit with what this thread is proposing.

Then again, I'm not exactly clear how what this thread proposes is different from a supersized starter set with miniatures, terrain and 3-d extras.

If that's what we're talking about, then I doubt the big box stores would be interested. Go to your local Walmart/Target/TRU and see how many $60 boardgames there are. Not many. Ok, I bet you don't find a single one. That's just too much money for a parent to lay out for a game that they're not sure their kid will play. And that's who buys toys at big box stores. Heroscape was on the very high end of the prices and sold for $40. It certainly won't be an impulse buy.

In that way, the $60 box won't bring in many new customers. If instead, you split the boxes apart. Make a $20-25 starter set with a few minis and the rules, then make an "expansion" set that shows the remaining minis and terrain, for $40, you may actually bring in new people. The key, though is packaging. It's got to be flashy. It also has to show that WotC has other expansions planned (as they have already shown with how they're changing the focus of minis production).

The kid can show interest... the parent has a relatively cheap way to gauge the long term interest and since the line has future releases planned, the parent also has automatic birthday presents for the next few years (another important selling point!).

jephlewis

First Post
Heroscape doesn't have any roleplaying aspect, as it's solely a skirmish game. It doesn't seem to fit with what this thread is proposing.
I agree; it's more 'minis' and less 'board game' than what I was thinking.

Then again, I'm not exactly clear how what this thread proposes is different from a supersized starter set with miniatures, terrain and 3-d extras.
Don't forget the cards :p! Yes, my OP dealt with a board game that doubled as a 'mega accessory pack' for tabletop to make it appealing to multiple audiences. Something like descent, but more integrated for 4E tabletop play.

If that's what we're talking about, then I doubt the big box stores would be interested. Go to your local Walmart/Target/TRU and see how many $60 boardgames there are. Not many. Ok, I bet you don't find a single one. That's just too much money for a parent to lay out for a game that they're not sure their kid will play. And that's who buys toys at big box stores. Heroscape was on the very high end of the prices and sold for $40. It certainly won't be an impulse buy.
I deliberately chose a sixty dollar price point for this discussion because:
1. it's pretty expensive for a board game
2. it's roughly the cost of a new PC, 360, or PS3 game

You are correct that it will be hard to find a sixty dollar board game in the store.

In that way, the $60 box won't bring in many new customers. If instead, you split the boxes apart. Make a $20-25 starter set with a few minis and the rules, then make an "expansion" set that shows the remaining minis and terrain, for $40, you may actually bring in new people. The key, though is packaging. It's got to be flashy. It also has to show that WotC has other expansions planned (as they have already shown with how they're changing the focus of minis production).
The kid can show interest... the parent has a relatively cheap way to gauge the long term interest and since the line has future releases planned, the parent also has automatic birthday presents for the next few years (another important selling point!).
I think this seems more practical, but personally i'd like a big box o stuff, not a bunch of smaller boxes.

I think the 'black dragon' and 'blue dragon' basic sets released for 3.x were around twenty five bucks, and I didn't buy any 'black dragon' sets until they were half off. The 'blue dragon' sets in my opinion aren't worth that much. If wotc made the board game the way you're referring [twenty-twenty five dollar starter], they'd have to sell it at a loss and pack a whole buncha stuff in that box for me to buy it [like, double what came in the black and blue dragon 3.x basic sets].

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads