• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Forked Thread: Some Thoughts on 4e

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I can see where people are coming from when they perceive a lack of non-damaging effects for spellcasters. Yeah, there are utility spells, but you only ever know 7 of those, and 2 of them are from your paragon path and epic destiny (which usually involve things like letting you re-use powers and such rather than provide unique effects of their own). And I do miss the illusions, charms, and summoning spells of old. I really hope the Arcane power book will reintroduce those types of magic.

And for the durations, I can see where people are coming from on those too. A ONE TURN spider climb? Once per day? What the hell? That said, this seems to be true of only a small number of powers. I don't really mind the sustaining thing, as it puts a reasonable limit on how much a caster can buff himself at once. Being invisible, flying, stoneskinned, protected from arrows, and resistant to energy all at once was a bit much, I'll admit. ;)

But one thing I think people often overlook is that much of the utility effects are more appropriate for rituals. I think the ritual system has wonderful potential. There's no limit to how many rituals you can know, and no preparation is needed, so using these types of spells is even easier and more flexible than it was in previous editions (though, admittedly, much more expensive). To the poster that said you can't fly over mountains anymore, I'd point out the rituals Phantom Steed and Overland Flight (Dragon 366). Those kind of long term effects can and do still exist, they're just not spells anymore - they're rituals.

Unfortunately, I think people's perception of the ritual system was hurt by the lack of rituals in the core book, and the redundancy of them. There are several rituals in there just for asking questions of the DM, for example. I think much of that space could have been better served with rituals that provide the fun utility magic that people miss. The new rituals in Dragon 366 help to fill in some of those blanks, but alot more work still needs to be done.

Actually, some people see this as a bug, not a feature. :p
This are probably people that haven't thought about multi-classing or didn't like it in 3E, either.

Ultimately, picking the 1-2 feats to pick up the ability to use Rituals represents your character actively spending time to train in magic, similar like taking Wizard Levels in 3E would be actively spending time to train in magic. And with just one level in Wizard, you have access to all types of Wizardry magic - you just need to spend money on scrolls, or similar items.

That's exactly the point, though.

Finally, in 4e, everyone is on the same page. Powers do damage and you use the damage to defeat the monsters. No one bypasses the damage system, they just assist each other in dealing damage and keeping the monster where they want it. Monsters are actually hard to beat and feel like you really need to be a hero to beat them and any farmer with a pitchfork would have died trying to beat them.

As a tabletop miniatures battle game this works great. If I don't want combat to take up the overwhelming majority of the game time there are other systems that don't feel like such a grindfest. Sliding minis around a map while carving through the mountains of hit points do not make the combat more engaging for me.

Spells should be named for what they do. The sleep spell should be called lethargy, because its very easy to cast this thing and have NOTHING fall asleep. Confusion? The only thing confusing about that spell is why it carries that name. Psychic damage and mind control..........well I'm confused.

As far as feeling heroic goes, my character feels a bit less heroic if he stands a chance of dying of old age before dropping a couple of kobolds.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I never once said that. I said that he had to change the rules to get the effect he wanted due to the fact that there are so few non-damaging combat spells in 4E.

I'll ask again: What rule was I breaking?

I feel like I stuck pretty close to the guidelines set out in "Actions the Rules Don't Cover".

Milambus

First Post
I'll ask again: What rule was I breaking?

I feel like I stuck pretty close to the guidelines set out in "Actions the Rules Don't Cover".

Strictly speaking, Prestidigitation probably shouldn't be able to create an illusion of several rats moving around.

That being said, I think it could cause the ogre to -smell- like rats which could have had the same effect.

Also, I probably would have let them do the rat illusion myself following the Rules of Cool and Fun.

Remove ads