Forked Thread: Three more days

Should the ceasefire for the edition wars be extended another 30 days or more?

Mamacat

First Post
While I hate asking for a "nanny", and I think having different forums for the editions should work, I've also noticed people trying to get around the restriction. So, I would say to extend it once. And where's the punch and pie??? :p

I vote that the ban be lifted, but that the mods instigate a zero-tolerance policy on starting edition wars in any thread not specifically created for that purpose. IOW, if someone starts a thread comparing the editions, fine. But if there's a thread talking about any other topic, and someone comes in and starts claiming that the entire topic sucks because X other edition was better, that person is instantly banned for a week. Second offense results in perma-ban, no exceptions.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I vote that the ban be lifted, but that the mods instigate a zero-tolerance policy on starting edition wars in any thread not specifically created for that purpose. IOW, if someone starts a thread comparing the editions, fine. But if there's a thread talking about any other topic, and someone comes in and starts claiming that the entire topic sucks because X other edition was better, that person is instantly banned for a week. Second offense results in perma-ban, no exceptions.
I second this, FWIW.

roguerouge

First Post
Sigh. Look, I don't even participate in those threads and I find them annoying ... and yet I STILL find it offensive that a community based on speech has so many members that call for moderator nannies and the censoring of legitimate speech on legitimate topics.

Let the edition wars people yell at each other and don't go into their threads if it bothers you. Help out the people asking for gaming help on this forum. Go participate in the other forums on this site if you can't control your clicking and simply must watch people spew bile.

The moderators are perfectly capable at policing the sight on the basis of libel, RW politics, and grandma rules. If they're not, due to a lack of moderators to handle that task, I'll bet that there's dozens of paying members who would eagerly volunteer to be a new moderator.

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
I think there has been a deeper problem with enworld, the mods are more likely to lock threads than [temporarily] ban the few posters who stepped over the line. This style of moderation is bad IMNSHO because it allows someone with a grudge or bias against the thread to simply ‘act up’ and get the thread locked.

Last edited:

ThirdWizard

First Post
Sigh. Look, I don't even participate in those threads and I find them annoying ... and yet I STILL find it offensive that a community based on speech has so many members that call for moderator nannies and the censoring of legitimate speech on legitimate topics.

Legitimate? Really, edition wars are just people telling each other how they're having badwrongfun. I mean, that's it really. We've been debating issues this whole time, and its practically devolved into that a few times. The ban wasn't on discussing differences between editions (even with value judgements), it was on large scale "My game is better than your game" threads.

Now, I have found the Ignore Thread option (which is lovely, I must say), but I find the fact that ENWorlders are trying to impose their preferences on other ENWorlders frankly disgusting. Just let each other play the game you like. Debate individual topics. But, for the love of all that is holy, why must anyone berate, demean, or otherwise insult another edition of Dungeons & Dragons, the game we are all gathered here to talk about, regardless of edition.

I don't see anything legitimate about edition wars at all.

Shadeydm

First Post
Yes, I do love reading over and over (and over) how people shouldn't think about fantasy too much or too hard, it's really enlightening after the 402nd time.

Remove ads