• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forked Thread: What are must-have Have Heroic Tier magic items?

Eyada

First Post
For a warlock, you need a rod of reaving in one hand and a rod of corruption in the other. Together they can wipe out a whole gaggle of minions with a minor action, without even rolling to hit!

Curse the nearest one -- which causes 1 damage, which kills it, triggering your pact boon. Use that to spread your curse to all the others nearby (including the ones who are hidden from your view), which causes each of THEM to take 1 damage... which would presumably trigger your pact boon AGAIN.

Does this actually work? I was under the impression a character could only utilize the effects of one Implement at a time.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Does this actually work? I was under the impression a character could only utilize the effects of one Implement at a time.
It doesn't work, but that's not why.

IMHO, Rod of Reaving is weak compared to Corruption.

Cheers, -- N

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Bag of Holding/Handy Haversack: It's nice to be able to carry around massive amounts of gear without encumbrance. Every character should eventually invest in one of these.

Everlasting Provisions: It's kinda like the old ring of sustenance, except it doesn't take an item slot and feeds 5 people! And it's cheaper! This will definitely be one of the first items I get, as I hate tracking rations.

keterys

First Post
IMHO, Rod of Reaving is weak compared to Corruption.

My problem with the rod of reaving is actually very simple - minions. It impinges too much on the controller aspect of the wizard, especially when you're doing it two at a time.

Corruption I'm fine with - it honestly just makes the game flow faster cause it lets you worry less about who is cursed.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
My problem with the rod of reaving is actually very simple - minions.
Thing is, if a Striker is using his class powers to kill one or two minions per round, he's wasting his actions. He should be killing the Elites, or at least the Soldiers.

Minions are speed-bumps to a Striker. Every action of his they eat is a win for their side (though not for them personally, of course).

Cheers, -- N

Revinor

First Post
Thing is, if a Striker is using his class powers to kill one or two minions per round, he's wasting his actions. He should be killing the Elites, or at least the Soldiers.

Minions are speed-bumps to a Striker. Every action of his they eat is a win for their side (though not for them personally, of course).

Except after the Elite is already cursed, there is not that much you can do with minor actions. With the rod, you can blast the elite and in background, autokill one minion. As an extra, you get a pack boon from that - which might be a nice bonus to hit which you will utilize against said elite.

I still think that spending minor action to get a pact boon is a good tradeoff after you have cursed your main target. Getting rid of the minion is just sugar on the top.

Otterscrubber

First Post

Cheers, -- N

Not sure I agree with this for all situations. In my group the ranger is pretty much our controller as we don't have a wizard and he does a very good job of taking out the minions, which IMHO should not be ignored. We tried that once and those little buggers made us pay dearly for ignoring them. Subject for another thread though I suppose.

Nifft - I like your list above.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads