Forked Thread: What "classic" races -- fitting current 4E races to type

Group Consciousness

At the borders of existence lie the fringes of madness. It should be understood that this is not just a descriptive term for the incomprehensible. While this is not generally known by the races that live on the World of Ka, the edge is where the mind that was Ka tries to comprehend itself. It knows that it is an individual, but it also knows that it is everything. The universe lacks the ability to understand itself and this inherent dichotomy.

As a tool to try and grasp the ungraspable, this realm of insanity has created tools in the form of agents. These agents are known to the rest of the world as mind flayers. These horrid abominations are motivated to seek out and absorb knowledge from other races. They think in ways unlike other beings. To a mind flayer, a thought is not sensible unless it is fully self-contradictory. Mind flayers can only be truly ethical and moral by being unethical and immoral. They can only exist as both a group mind and as individuals simultaneously. It is enough to give a sage both headaches and nightmares.

OK, well the categories of half-breed and things man was not meant to know are so obvious they don't really merit a whole paragraph. Gnomes also don't really need to fit in, since they already have a WotC-made backstory that can work in pretty much any campaign with a Feywild.

These racial backstories can be mined to really tweak the feel of different races to emphasize differences. To me, there seems to be a focus that could be played up.

Devas and tieflings are prone to feelings of abandonment. Dwarves are earth-connected demonhunters by culture. Eladrin are snobs with a dark secret. Dragonborn are natural diplomats and heroes for a reason. I think you get the idea.

I haven't had time yet to read your ideas, but you should be able to fix the thread title by editing the first post (you need to go to Full Edit/Advanced Edit for that.)

Remove ads