• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forming a pdf company--your experiences?

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
Cassandra said:
Game publishing = too busy to play games = no need to buy RPG material for personal use = all RPG material is a business expense.

At least, that's how it's starting to look around here. :confused:
Amen to that!

dungeondweller

First Post
Rick Hershey and PDF publishing

Rick Hershey is a great artist. We've done some work with him in the past. (In fact, as I think about it, the dragon on the DDG Games logo is Rick's work. If you're curious, the logo can be seen front and center at www.ddggames.com)

We're basically reduced to using stock art collections anymore, though, due to the cost of putting out professional products using contract art. Since the promotional side is really not my thing, we end up moving low volumes based purely on RPG Now exposure. It works as a side / hobby income, but not really as any kind of business.

Sounds like you're planning on taking it more seriously than me, though, so I don't know how much I can add to the mix here... Except to say good luck. I like to see new indie publishers coming online. IMO, the most original ideas come from us, the little guys - they're just not packaged quite as pretty.

dungeondweller

First Post
On the tax deductibility side, from the perspective of a "DBA", there are only two reasons I buy pre-built RPG content rather than writing my own:

1. Because the subject is complex enough I'm concerned about being able to playtest enough to insure I've achieved proper balance.

2. As research material.

Both reasons are part and parcel to every RPG material purchase I make, as an individual and as a mini-publisher. So, for my purposes, I do deduct all WotC books purchased as research material.

Am I planning to reprint their closed content? No, but that doesn't matter. Every concept in their books is an important part of my inspiration and market research, no matter what form it takes when it gets processed and transformed into an independent idea.

Now, I'm not necessarily advocating that everyone replicate this approach... I'm just saying that, in my case at least, every WotC book purchased does, in fact, contribute significantly to my efforts as a publisher.

rick_hershey

First Post
As the first freelancer to work for Tricky Owlbear Publishing I want to flat out say that working with them was not a pleasure, and in fact do not suggest it to anyone else.
When I first discussed the logo with them I asked for a simple sketch of what there ideas were. . . here is a list of the elements they wanted incorporated.

- 100 elven archers with flaming bows.
- giant floating castle chained to the earth
- demonic host floating in the background, laughing maniacally
- animated chain-lightning wiping out a group of orcs and trolls
- magical swords, lots of magical swords (with lens flair)
- 2 wizards fighting a dragon
- 300 spartans
- and both their names (Bret and Scot) in old english font. . . glowing.

After I recieved the list, and after much thought, I responded and asked about maybe putting the actual company name in the logo, and maybe an owlbear?

for the enxt several days a team of mediators and lawyers worked out the details and went over our agreements and notes. Finally, after much debate they decided that it probably would be better (although less Kick ass) to just use the company name and owlbear as part of their logo, and save their future customers confusion . . .

Actually, it was great working with Bret and Scot, the logo is all their idea and I look forward to working with them again. Good luck guys, so far your professionalism is spot on. If you ever need some free art advice or artwork- drop me a line.

Remove ads