• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forming a pdf company--your experiences?

Cathix

First Post
rick_hershey said:
As the first freelancer to work for Tricky Owlbear Publishing I want to flat out say that working with them was not a pleasure, and in fact do not suggest it to anyone else.
When I first discussed the logo with them I asked for a simple sketch of what there ideas were. . . here is a list of the elements they wanted incorporated.

- 100 elven archers with flaming bows.
- giant floating castle chained to the earth
- demonic host floating in the background, laughing maniacally
- animated chain-lightning wiping out a group of orcs and trolls
- magical swords, lots of magical swords (with lens flair)
- 2 wizards fighting a dragon
- 300 spartans
- and both their names (Bret and Scot) in old english font. . . glowing.

After I recieved the list, and after much thought, I responded and asked about maybe putting the actual company name in the logo, and maybe an owlbear?

for the enxt several days a team of mediators and lawyers worked out the details and went over our agreements and notes. Finally, after much debate they decided that it probably would be better (although less Kick ass) to just use the company name and owlbear as part of their logo, and save their future customers confusion . . .

Actually, it was great working with Bret and Scot, the logo is all their idea and I look forward to working with them again. Good luck guys, so far your professionalism is spot on. If you ever need some free art advice or artwork- drop me a line.

:D Thanks for the laugh on a crazy Tuesday afternoon! Bitchin' logo, too.

rick_hershey

First Post
Nice to see you're doing well. Sorry we couldn't offer you more contract work, but we'll be buying any stock art you release.

Well if I ever get a free moment I'll start work on another one, got the plans done- just haven't had the time to do it yet.

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
rick_hershey said:
- 300 spartans

/approves
mona_yes.jpg

BEST LOGO EVAR!!!

;)

Napftor

Explorer
rick_hershey said:
...If you ever need some free art advice or artwork- drop me a line.

Is that free art advice and free artwork? ;) And the first sentence of your post just about gave me a heart attack! But I'm better now. :)

Seriously though, after working with Rick on two other projects I knew ERS was the place to go for a good logo. And we did originally have a "busier" concept but Rick sensibly showed us the error of that. Thanks again man!

FraserRonald

Explorer
rick_hershey said:
When I first discussed the logo with them I asked for a simple sketch of what there ideas were. . . here is a list of the elements they wanted incorporated.

All that? Yes, quite unreasonable. Up behind the chemical sheds with them. But then . . .

rick_hershey said:
- 300 spartans

Hmmmmmmmmm

300-20070212020918296.jpg

Oh, H#LLS yeah.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Tim Gray

First Post
Here's an important bit of advice that no-one else has given yet.

If you and your brother are going into some sort of business partnership, have some sort of written agreement as the basis for that partnership. It will probably seem odd doing this with a close family member - but the point is that if it all goes horribly wrong in the future (heaven forfend) you can pull out the agreement as the basis for resolution and possibly even save your relationship as a result.

That would be the classic business advice book position, anyway.

dungeondweller

First Post
Yeah, my general advice in regards to a family partnership would be...

Flee for your life!!!!

But I certainly hope it works out better for you guys than it would in my family.

Napftor

Explorer
I considered the family angle as well but decided that, if something unforeseen pitted us against each other, I would just walk away. I'm a pretty easy going guy and nothing's worth losing family over.

Remove ads