• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forsaker

Berk

First Post
Quick question for everyone out there. Would it be against the Forsaker "code" to purchase and carry magic items for the sole purpose of just to destroy them? If there was ever anything official said on this could ya provide a link please?

Orco42

First Post
It would be against the flavor of the class. I suggest letting the amounts of items destroyed carry over to the next day. So if you break one of those neat Halrualan(sp) airships from FR you will have that DR for a long time.

It make the class a little more powerful. Which is needed as they become very, very weak at higher levels (even if you do play a drow forsaker).

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
Sollir Furryfoot said:
Rules wise there is nothing wrong with this, they just can't use them.

Yes by the book, nothing wrong with it. But let's be honest, this goes very much against the whole grain of the class.

I like the whole forsaker concept except the whole idea of magic destruction, because it really encourages that kind of behavior. The forsaker is supposed to hate magic, and you don't normally hold onto the stuff you hate.

Stalker0

Legend
Actually, I was just looking at the forsaker prestige requirements, it says before becoming a forsaker you must sell off all your magic items, which I think is preety clear the intention of the class is you don't hold onto magic.

Berk

First Post
I know the whole you gotta sell all your magic items or give em away thing but it kinda makes it hard to actually keep the damage reduction ability of the class if you aren't allowed to carry magic items around just for the simple fact that all you will ever do with them is destroy them. You won't walk around and find like 1100gp worth of magic items every day to destroy. Hell you don't even really find that much exploring for a day unless you are playing in a magic rich campaign. and since you can't own any magic items, you kinda lose the benefit and use of the damage reduction ability of the class which can be a real pain in the later levels when you are attacking something with DR 50/+5 and well you can't hit it because 1. there is no chance in hell you are gonna do over 50hp of damage in a single hit without any magic benefits, and if you are, it will be rare, I'm well aware of sultan of smack, but come on, those things aren't fun to play though so it isn't even a practical argument. And 2. You can't hit it cuz you don't have access to your damage reduction ability because you just didn't have the 1100gp worth of magic items to destroy because well, you aren't allowed to even own any, just if the only reason you own them is to destroy them.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Just allow your magic item destruction to bank, like others suggested. That way you can destroy things when you find them (which makes sense), and store up excess gp value of destroyed items for later days.

Otherwise, I can see carrying them around in some sort of sacred pouch or something, and performing a solemn cleansing ritual at dawn each day to destroy one item, purging it's magical influence on the world.

I also think this class should get the Dragon Blood feat from Kingdoms of Kalamar Player's Guide for free. It let's you feel the presence of magic with your bare hands w/a Search check at DC 15 for touched items, DC 20 on non-touched items within 30 feet. Each use after the first each day suffers a cumulative -2 penalty as your magic sensitivity gets blunted with use during the day.

Finally, you should be able to gain the destroy-magic benefit from destroying even magic not in the form of a portable item, such as a magically evil alter, a magic archway, and a magical trap. Perhaps even a magic-using opponant!

[Additional Note: Never forget that Mithril and Adamantine is not magical, but does give some benefits as if it were magical. A Mithril Breastplate and Adamantine Greatsword do wonders for Forsaker],

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
Don't forget that you still get your tough defense, spell resistance, fast healing, and ability score increases even without destroying magic.

My advice, pick up sunder and improved sunder. Those guys with DR X/+5 often are carrying around some magic stuff. Just hail into them and start destroying their magic. Or you could with teh bank route, I think that's a good alternative.

The forsaker is a tough class to play, very tough towards higher levels when magic becomes important. But its also an interesting one to play as well.

Remove ads