Fortress America

Crothian

First Post
Ya, that's a minis game that I've not played. THe boar d games have gone through some changes and they have come out with some great new A&A games.

micktee

First Post
If any of you are interested in online Fortress America play, we have a yahoo group, a ranking ladder, and an on-line version of the game (with a few minor mods to facilitate on-line play).

Yahoo group: fapagroup : Fortress America Players Association

Web FA: FAPA - Fortress America

Given your comments above, I think that some of you may learn some new tactical lessons by playing a broader set of opponents. Bombers in detroit or Minneapolis doesn't sound right & USA always losing in 2 player games doesn't sound right (although its about 55-45 in the invaders favor in our experience).

For official "ladder matches" leading to rankings, we use a 2-out-of-3 method to balance play rather than changing the game itself. Sides for the third game are based o how well each of the first 2 games were won.

This is a great group that avoids the flame wars so common in other gaming groups, so if you do sign up, please keep it that way.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
The first and only time I played Fortress America was 1988 or '89. . . and damn, was it fun!

I'd love to get my hands on this again. . .

I got my buddy the updated A&A a few years ago, but we've only gotten to play it once or twice.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
USA always losing in 2 player games doesn't sound right (although its about 55-45 in the invaders favor in our experience).

If you were the invaders and played them separately, then yes it would probably be a fair game.

What has happened in my experience, however, is that when one person controls them all and plays them as ONE BIG TEAM it allows the eastern seaboard to get overwhelmed (With the south taking a right and taking Florida and leaving the SW to the western invaders), which ruins the americans day.

Of course, I haven't played a TON of games, but I have played 20-30 of them in my lifetime and this has been my experience. Its been so long since I have picked up the dice for this one that better tactics may prevail.

DS

micktee

First Post
I checked the stats for the Fortress America Players Association (fapagroup : Fortress America Players Association) and its 43.7% USA to 56.3% Invader victories.

What we've generally seen is that the USA is a bit harder to learn to play, because most strategy games reward agression, but the USA player must perform a slow tactical withdrawl with precision counter attacks, and maximized felexibility in unit positioning to be available to multiple fronts.

I can't imagine the Invaders winning against a good USA player with the southern Invaders heading for florida (of course, I haven't seen it, so I could be wrong). A good USA player won't let you past D.C. and Atlanta in the East, and will basically allow the west to advance 1 territory at a time by denying the helo special move with a row of defensive positions 1 space beyond the adavnce. It usually comes down to whether Blue & Yellow can capture & hold Memphis, St. Louis, and Kansas City, while red hols Florida, Atlanta, and DC.

Come test any theories about an unbeatable invader against some of our veteran players. BTW: Not all matches have to be ladder matches. Many new members of the group will play a few "friendly" games before challenging someone to a ladder match.

Crothian

First Post
I was America today and lost. I kicked butt early rounds but I had unlucky cards in round 4 and 5 getting only one card that gave units. Round 7 I got 5 cards but the dice turned against me and I was unable to take back enough cities to keep the game going.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I loved this game!

I played this a lot with my brothers in the 80s. It nearly equaled Shogun in repeated play. Shogun was our favorite, Axis and Allies second, with FA a close third.

Remove ads