• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forum Rulesy stuff

BrooklynKnight

First Post
I'm not trying to step out of bounds here... but.. I'm just wondering if this rule has gotten a bit more lax latly.

forum rules said:
Keep it clean: Don't use obscenities, don't use clever tricks to run around the profanity filters, and don't link to sites with inappropriate content. The "acid test" we use is the "Grandmother Rule" -- if it would be inappropriate to say to or show to our grandmothers, don't do it. I want a typical 13 year old kid to be able to come here and participate if they want to without feeling uncomfortable. This should be a minor-friendly place. Think about it this way: how do you act around strangers or work acquaintances? You watch your language and you're on your best behavior. That's the ideal we're shooting for here.
In the past few weeks ive seen posters use obsceneties like bitch (that word in particular rings out in my mind) and :):):):):):):) and other such words.

I could be wrong but those things were usually edited out before. I'm just wondering what the say from on top is. I'm not asking for permission to curse, nor am I ragging on any of the mods for not editing posts.

I havnt exactly gone out of my way to report them when I saw them. (The one or two times I did recently email the mods about something, I got no reply, so i figured if it was wrong it would be edited eventually) But you know what i mean.

I love to curse, i do it liberally at home and with my peers, and on irc (as some may know), but ive done my best to curb that here.....and i notice others are not. Kinda makes me feel bad and what not.

I'm ranting, sorry. I hope the above makes sense.

Edit: Not changing anything up top, But i guess bitch is what i've been seeing. heh. Maybe it should be added to the filter?

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The use of bitch isn't usually a problem. It really depends on the usage; bitching about a problem is okay, calling someone a bitch is probably not. Give us a yell if you see something that you think is out of line, and we'll make sure that we evaluate it on a case-by-case basis.

Is :):):):) :)):):):)) still in the filter? I don't think many people here use it in its vulgar sense, and on a forum where people discuss guns, filtering it may do more harm than good.

What about damn (dam.n)? It is a curse word, but there's a lot of magical curses that invovling damning someone, or the damnable hordes of the deep or whatever. I can see filtering dammit (dam.mit), of course, since that's only used when bitching. *grin*

The silliest thing, though, is that they filter the word :):):):):) :)):):):):)). I really don't find it that vulgar. *shrug*

--Edit: Bad Ryan, trying to get around the profanity filter. No ewok biscuit! --Dinkeldog :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Piratecat said:
The use of bitch isn't usually a problem.
And it also happens to be a female canine. If you are into pure bred dogs at all, training, showing, field trials, etc. then you eventually get in the habit of using the word dog to mean only the male, and bitch the female. As in, "My beloved bitch Sprocket had to be put down in April, and I'm still grieving for her, but it has helped some that we got a dog on May 16th."

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Buttercup said:
If you are into pure bred dogs at all, training, showing, field trials, etc. then you eventually get in the habit of using the word dog to mean only the male...

So someone who's 'into pure bred dogs at all' is only interested in the males?

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads