• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Fostering an appropriate sense of dread

ccooke

Adventurer
So I have a concept that's too good not to share. I've used versions of this idea a few times, but this variant is for a low level game that's going to be doing a bit of a dungeon crawl.

How do you make a party scared of giant rats? Even level 1 characters will often kill them in a single hit. But that's the thing - there are always more rats. So how to make the party believe that?

You start out by telling them of the beady eyes that watch them from the darkness. Just on the edge of light, glittering and wary. You describe them scuttling out of the way, and the little noises as they clear out as the party arrive.

Around a third of the way through the session, the rats attack. The party come to an open space, and you describe the hundreds of eyes watching them. You tell the party that only the boldest rats are attacking them... yet. Then, you take a huge jar of beads or tokens - I've used a bowl of black go stones before - and you scoop out eight or so (eight giant rats is exactly a deadly encounter for a level 1 party). There's a nasty fight, and the rats flee when they're down to two or so. You take the dead rats, and put them in an empty container. The fled ones go back into the jar.

You tell the party that the eyes are still watching them, hungrily. If they ever try to kill a rat, you take a stone out of the jar and dump it into the 'dead rat' container. Make the rats a little more wary, so the party can't just take pot shots - if the party end up killing a few of the watchers, the watchers either vanish for a bit or they get a new deadly combat. Make it clear that the number of potential rats is both finite and huge. From that point on, any time something edible gets taken down, a rat will join the fight. It will ignore the combat and just try to eat the bodies. It will snap at anyone who comes between it and food, and flee if it's hurt. Every round, another rat joins the feast (in addition to every time something gets killed). If there are ever a group of five or more rats eating, they hold their ground and don't flee until there's only one or two left. If there are five or more rats at the end of a combat, and anyone in the party is at half health or less... then the rats will attack.

Every time you add a rat, you take it from the jar, and every time a rat dies you put it in the 'dead' container. Every fleeing one goes back to the supply.

The rat supply should be enough so that, even if the entire session goes to absolute hell, you will not use up more than half of the rats.

The jar - preferably one where the players can see how deep it is - should be on display the whole time, making it clear to the players that if the rats were more clever - or more desperate - then the party wouldn't stand a chance.

The jar - preferably one where the players can see how deep it is - should be on display the whole time, making it clear to the players that if the rats were more clever - or more desperate - then the party wouldn't stand a chance.
You've forgotten the most basic rule of role-playing - that players can only act on information available to them. Your little show should be meaningless, since any half-way decent player will disregard it as irrelevant.

ccooke

Adventurer
Would you allow the PCs to hold them off using fire?

The rats would mostly avoid the light... unless desperate, or very brave. The party can hold them off with fire for a bit, sure, but that's mostly overnight (at which, expect an attack at *some* point by some braver rats) or brandishing it with torches.

ccooke

Adventurer
You're the DM, I already know you have infinite rats.

There's a difference between the potential for infinite rats and "There are this many rats in this cave system". To a player, I might always say "There's another five rats around this corner", but then again I might not. The potential for more enemies is balanced against the knowledge that I (as the DM) am here to give the players a fair chance at success and thus won't just jump them with a hundred rats attacking from every direction (including up and down) unless they really, really deserve it.
But if there's an actual finite number pre-declared and it's definitely more than the party can handle, and the actions of the party directly cause rats to come out of that pool and attack... then the possibility of that hundred-rat swarm is much more tangible.

(and yeah, it works well with things that aren't rats. Zombies, for instance. Especially if you make them simple zombies with 1hp, but keep the Zombie Fortitude saving throw)

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Giving players a visual reminder of things: passing time, hordes of rats, or whatever; is an effective tool regardless of a given player's intellectual understanding that there are unlimited rats available to the DM. Description and atmospherics that help drive home the horde make it immediate in a way that just "knowing it" really doesn't. The DM also has endless supply of Ancient Red Dragons, angry gods of Thunder, and small rest-stop cakes filled with unmentionable cream. The difference is immediacy, and the visual reminder helps immediacy a lot.

ccooke

Adventurer
It's a nice way to use metagame information to add to the feel.
A classic example - I do larp. There's a common rule (at least in many UK larp systems) that sticking your finger in the air means you're invisible. It's generally avoided unless necessary, since filtering people out is distracting. But there was this quest where the plot team wanted to foster a sense of foreboding in the players... So they got the entire available quest crew kitted out with weapons and scattered around the quest area with their fingers in the air. For the entire encounter.
The players were suitably paranoid :-D

Remove ads