• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Four Arms" Ideas

Grimgrin

First Post
Looking to create a PC "insectoid" creature with an extra set of arms, but need some advice. I have a few ideas, but I don't know what would be best.

Tentative Racial Features

Racial Attribute Modifiers: +2 DEX, +2 WIS
Language: Common + one of choice
Racial Skill Bonuses: +2 Religion, +2 Insight
Vision: Low Light Vision
Speed: 6
Size: Small

(The creature possesses "one" of the abilities listed below as a racial feature)

1. Shield Bearer: The creature can use a versatile weapon and carry a shield.

2. Paired Double Grip: The creature can weild a pair of versatile weapons.

3. Four of a Kind: The creature can hold 4 identical off-hand weapons. (Powers like Twin Strike still only provide two attacks but the shiva has a choice of off-hand weapons).

4. Character can fight with two of its arms while climbing/squeezing/prone without penalty.

Racial Power (likely daily)
I have no firm design for a racial power but here are some ideas.

1. Maybe a follow-up basic attack if the first hits with an off hand weapon (11th level: up to 2 follow up attacks, 21st: up to 3 follow up attacks)

2. Creature can throw 4 weapons at once in a close blast (or burst).

3. Creature can make one melee attack (1[W] + STR or DEX mod.) on Four or fewer adjacent opponents when armed with four off handed weapons.

Last edited:

Omertalvendetta

First Post
You might look at older versions of the Thri-Kreen in 3.5 (sp?). Also, up in the downloads section above someone posted their own thri-kreen also and its 4e, so you can also look at that. Their version doesn't have everything you're looking for, but it's definitely noteworthy to get ideas, at least.

circadianwolf

First Post
For what it's worth, the official thri-kreen (4-armed race from Dark Sun) racial traits (from D&D XP 2010) include drawing/stowing an item as a free action 1/turn and an encounter melee attack against 3 targets.

eriktheguy

First Post
The race is a pain in the ass to define because Wizards didn't really bother defining what off-hand or main hand really mean in this edition.

Here's my suggestion:
Four arms: You have 2 additional off-hands. These can be used for wielding weapons, shields, 2-handed weapons or carrying objects.
If you use a weapon power with a 2-handed weapon or with two weapons, you cannot wield a shield until the beginning of your next turn (you do not drop shields, you simply no longer act as though you have them equipped).
If a power requires you to be wielding two weapons, you cannot use a 2-handed weapon as part of that power.
This racial trait does not allow you to equip an additional arm slot magic item.

Thri-Kreen agility: You treat light thrown weapons as though they had the off-hand property.

At-Will power:
Draw or stow an item as a free action
Limit 1/turn

Encounter power:
Make a melee or ranged basic attack with an off-hand weapon or implement as a minor action.

+2 Athletics and Nature

+2 Str/Dex and +2 Cha

The Dark Sun race is a little poorly balanced (they can make 4 melee attacks as an encounter power, which puts ranger dailies to shame). Also I prefer +2 Cha over +2 Wis. The Thri-kreen are supposed to be psychic and have a hive mentality and complex society, so I would see Cha as the obvious stat.

Note: Under these rules, rangers would be able to wield up to 4 normal weapons.

Edited for clarity

Last edited:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I'd say that just letting someone choose which 2 hands of stuff (out of 4) he's using on a turn by turn basis is both simple and powerful.

eriktheguy

First Post
I'd say that just letting someone choose which 2 hands of stuff (out of 4) he's using on a turn by turn basis is both simple and powerful.

Yes, and simple is good.
Racial trait: You can carry up to 4 hands worth of equipment. You can still only wield two hands worth of equipment. At the beginning of each turn choose 2 hands. These hands are able to wield equipment and your other hands may only carry equipment.

Nytmare

David Jose
Yes, and simple is good.
Racial trait: You can carry up to 4 hands worth of equipment. You can still only wield two hands worth of equipment. At the beginning of each turn choose 2 hands. These hands are able to wield equipment and your other hands may only carry equipment.

Magical arm slots: yes or no?

eriktheguy

First Post
I would say you can only ever equip 1 magical arm slot.
Although you could probably get away with magical bracers and a mundane shield.
Although I think you can do that anyways.

Grimgrin

First Post
I was thinking more along the lines of "Miek" from Planet Hulk than a Thri-Keen. That's why I made the race "Small". The idea of four different choices for a racial feature was intended to reflect different life roles among the race (like ants or termites).

Originally Posted by erictheguy
Here's my suggestion:
Four arms: You have 2 additional off-hands. These can be used for wielding weapons, shields, 2-handed weapons or carrying objects.
If you use a weapon power with a 2-handed weapon or with two weapons, you cannot wield a shield until the beginning of your next turn (you do not drop shields, you simply no longer act as though you have them equipped).
If a power requires you to be wielding two weapons, you cannot use a 2-handed weapon as part of that power.
This racial trait does not allow you to equip an additional arm slot magic item.

Limiting the race to carrying four hands worth of equipment is a good idea and avoids power complications. I didn't think how four arms would effect arm/hand/ring slots, but no increase is also a good idea. I also like your idea for an encounter power, very simple and clean.

Last edited:

Remove ads