• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Four Times Per Day at 20th Level: Aligning Spell Acquisition with Martial Daily Abilities?

FireLance

Legend
I just noticed that in the latest playtest packet, between 11th and 20th level, the fighter gets four daily uses of Combat Surge, the rogue gets four daily uses of Ace in the Hole, and the cleric and the wizard get four daily spells (one 6th, one 7th, one 8th, and one 9th).

The fighter and rogue get their first daily use of their respective abilities at 11th level, the same level that the cleric and wizard get their 6th-level spell. However, from there on, the fighter and rogue gain additional uses at 14th, 17th and 20th level, while the cleric and wizard get additional spells at 13th, 15th and 17th level.

Do you think there is a case for aligning the spellcasters' spell acquisition with the martial classes' ability acquisition, i.e. the 7th-level spell would be gained at 14th level, the 8th-level spell at 17th level, and the 9th-level spell at 20th level? On the one hand, it would give wizards and clerics something to look forward to at 20th level. On the other hand, it would be a break with tradition and may be seen as "too balanced" or "pointless symmetry".

Sekhmet

First Post
Which tradition does it break? In 2e and AD&D, Wizards got their 9th level spells at 18. Priests (Clerics and Druids) only made it to lv7 spells, which they had at lv14, and in AD&D they didn't get lv7 spells until lv16, and then only if their Wisdom was 18 or better. Druids picked them up at lv12!
In AD&D, Illusionists picked up their max level spells, lv7, at 14 as well.

Combat Surges aren't very equivalent in nature to spells, and I am having a hard time seeing the connection you're drawing except in that each class gets four "use per day" after a certain point. I'd toss the notion, if only because I'm fairly certain the 1 spell/lv after 5th isn't going to make it to the final issue.

the Jester

Legend
Do you think there is a case for aligning the spellcasters' spell acquisition with the martial classes' ability acquisition, i.e. the 7th-level spell would be gained at 14th level, the 8th-level spell at 17th level, and the 9th-level spell at 20th level?

Not really. I don't see any convincing argument in favor, at least.

"pointless symmetry".

You said it. :)

All I see this proposal doing is ensuring that even fewer games see the highest-level spells in play.

N'raac

First Post
Why align the spellcasters with the non-spellcasters rather than the other way round? It would be just as aligned if the Fighter and Rogue got extra uses of their ability at 13th, 15th and 17th, wouldn't it? While there's a feeling of achievement when a powerful capstone ability is gained at 20th level, how many games play at 20th level for any length of time? Maybe these abilities should come into play earlier so they see more use.

Remove ads