Fox is Open to Rebooting Firefly, But Only Under This Condition

Dioltach

Legend
I think it could work, if they get the original team together. The good thing about Firefl is that it stands the test of time: it's not one of those series that are better in your mind than they actually were.

The loss of Wash and Shepherd Book will be difficult to compensate, but I think that River could take over some of Wash's snark if she isn't crazy anymore.

Ryujin

Legend
Whedon has said that it wouldn't happen. Most of the actors are well beyond it now. I loved the series and watched it from the first day that it aired, but it's past the time for it. If it started up again now, it would feel like a parody of itself.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Only NOW they want to bring it back? Why not sooner?
They need to wait at least 10 years before they reboot stuff. And that time is needed for people to elevate it to a level it never deserve so that people think it is a good thing to reboot it.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It's been over 10 years. It is exactly the right time to do a reunion limited season or something. I want a season that is a Serenity crew with the remaining origional crew, and introduce a couple newbies.

In the comics Zoe has a kid, which would be old enough to be a real character by now, so that is a start.

I think a new season now would be even better than if they'd done another movie right after Serenity, or come back wth another season right around then. Just the time gap allows for new challenges, catching up on what has passed, charCter growth that we have to catch up on/be revealed as the show unfolds, etc.

My only issue is that Joss sucks at this sort of thing.

I mean, look at the beginning of Serenity. Joss change the whole tone of where the characters were in terms of developement and in relation to eachother. it was kinda jarring, because t had no real context or time to be explained.

Then again, the same sort of thing COULD work in a new season, because there is that time to develop things.

But overall, I'm all for it.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Whedon has said that it wouldn't happen. Most of the actors are well beyond it now. I loved the series and watched it from the first day that it aired, but it's past the time for it. If it started up again now, it would feel like a parody of itself.

I feel like this couldn't be more off. Lol no offense intended.

IMO, 5 years after Serenity, you'd be right. Now, though, is exactly when it should happen. So it is more of a new show, than a second season of Firefly. I'd even call it Serenity, to make it more clear that it is a sequel, and make t clear from episode 1 that it's a new show and at least 10 years have passed in the 'verse.

Ryujin

Legend
I feel like this couldn't be more off. Lol no offense intended.

IMO, 5 years after Serenity, you'd be right. Now, though, is exactly when it should happen. So it is more of a new show, than a second season of Firefly. I'd even call it Serenity, to make it more clear that it is a sequel, and make t clear from episode 1 that it's a new show and at least 10 years have passed in the 'verse.

No offense taken. I know my opinion on this isn't very popular ;)

Speaking of "the 'Verse", another ship and crew in the same universe could certainly be a way to go. Much of what was originally to be was, after all, given away in the "Browncoats Unite" 10th anniversary show.

Speaking AGAIN of "The Verse", there was this little fan film, done by Loot Crate, some years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B24h1SYIxEc

Janx

Hero
I am surprised by all the anti-support. Shows what 10+ years can do.

I agree there's a certain impracticality of actually getting all the actors back who've aged that 10+ years (Nathan Fillian is about my age, and like me, he's put on a couple pounds). They'd need to run the show-clock 10+ years to reflect the difference, and in someways, it's hard to believe that ship would still be running with nearly the same crew.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I agree there's a certain impracticality of actually getting all the actors back who've aged that 10+ years (Nathan Fillian is about my age, and like me, he's put on a couple pounds).

Actors can lose weight, especially with the incentive of a million dollars or so! But I don't think he needs to.

That said, a reboot and a sequel are two different things.

Remove ads