• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [FR] Bloodgate Keep

I'm putting together a sandbox FR campaign loosely based around SKT, but am drawing upon some of the other DnD Next/5E material as well.

In the Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle and Scourage of the Sword Coasts, a group of Red Wizards is plotting out of a hidden base called Bloodgate Keep. Presumably, at the end of SSC, the PCs will have an idea of where Bloodgate Keep is (located on the edge of the Forlorn Hills). Both of these adventures were originally serialized in the Adventure League in the run-up to 5E.

The next AL season after SSC was Dead in Thay, which was reprinted in Tales of the Yawning Portal. However, all the TYP version mentions is that the keep was assulted by a group of heroes and the Red Wizards were defeated. You start directly entering the Doom Vault, a magical 'fun house' dungeon located in Thay itself.

So, was Bloodgate keep and its denizens ever described anywhere? I'd like to cap off the Sword Coast threat without a 200 room mega-dungeon halfway across Faerun.

pukunui

Legend
Yes, it's the first chapter of the original Dead in Thay module, although you don't get to explore the whole keep. You just go to the elemental nodes and the room with the Bloodgate itself. (To be honest, I think that part should've been the last chapter of Scourge, as it really is a climax with a cliffhanger.)

Remove ads