• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[FR] Cat Warriors?

Lord Ravinous

First Post
Ok, heres tha' skinny...

A new player in the group is starting this weekend, and he wants to be a Cat Warrior (an anthropomorphic leopard from SS), but to my knowledge, cat people don't exist in FR, and if they do, they're existance isn't very well documented. So here lies our problem. What could he choose as a home region, and if none applied, what would be his starting languages? Here is the other factor of the problem, there is a regional restriction on characters, the DM would perfer that no one be further than Caravaning distance from Hundlestone (near the Spine of the World).

So, aside from making him hail from an unchartered jungle island off the Sword Coast, I can't think of anything. And beings that he's a newcomer to the Realms, I want to have a few "set" ideas to lay out in front of him, and you guys are usually pretty good with this kinda thing.

So what do ya'll think?

BrooklynKnight

First Post
Hrm. Any Jungle/Forest Area in my opinion.

Furthermore he doesnt have to be from a whole race. He can be unique.

For example, a wizards familar who got changed by a flopped spell which resulted in the wizards death. OR a Wizard who got melded with his feline familar due to a flopped spell.

A story line like that would mean he could take a region indicitave of his original race.

But either way I recommend High Forest.

Lord Ravinous

First Post
The Chult is too far south, otherwise that's what we'd do, I told him about Arthur's idea, and he liked it pretty good. But I agree that the Chult would be easiest, mainly cause its so friggin big and dense (lol, like me :D ) that a rare race could live there and never be documented.

Oaken25

First Post
Tabaxi exist in FR..... There is one in, I think the Volo's Guide to the Dalelands, who is a dancer in one of the taverns in Ashabenford.

So a cat character could exist in FR but Chult is usually thier homeland, but the character might be different and has found its way to the north.

Last edited:

Lord Ravinous

First Post
Oaken25 said:
Tabaxi exist in FR..... There is one in, I think the Volo's Guide to the Dalelands, who is a dancer in one of the taverns in Ashabenford.

So a cat character could exist in FR but Chult is usually thier homeland, but the character might be different and has found its way to the north.

You wouldnt happen to have stats on that would you?

BrooklynKnight

First Post
Lord Ravinous said:
The Chult is too far south, otherwise that's what we'd do, I told him about Arthur's idea, and he liked it pretty good. But I agree that the Chult would be easiest, mainly cause its so friggin big and dense (lol, like me :D ) that a rare race could live there and never be documented.
I'm glad he liked my idea.

The High Forest is also a possible place for an undocumented race or two. Remember, the place is mostly unexplored except for druids and wild/wood elves. Neither of which would disturb a race by annoucning it to all of Faerun.

Alternativly The Cat race could be from Evermeet, which is a safe haven for not only Elves but other types of Fey and natrual creatures. Centaurs, Satyrs, Unicorns and Pegusai all have homes there.

Yet ANOTHER idea is to have them come from the demiplane of the Star elves overlapping the Yuirwood.

Or they could come from the native plane of the fey crossroads and backroads. (However you'd have to make them fey type increasing theyr LA by 1 IMO)

Tons of possiblities there.

Scarbonac

Not An Evil Twin
There was also a female Tabaxi in "The Halls Of The Beast-Tamers" mini-adventure in the 1987 edition of the FR setting. She was freed by the PCs when I ran it and became an NPC member of their band.

A Tabaxi character might also have escaped from a menagerie or carnival (I play a rogue/psion Tabaxi in one campaign who did that) or was kidnapped for experimentation by an evil wizard.

Remove ads