• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[FR] Do you use the Realms cosmology?

Which cosmology does your FR campaign use?

• Forgotten Realms cosmology only

Votes: 51 28.2%
  • Great Wheel only

Votes: 52 28.7%
  • Mostly Forgotten Realms, with some Great Wheel planes

Votes: 23 12.7%
  • Mostly Great Wheel, with some Forgotten Realms planes

Votes: 19 10.5%
  • All planes from Great Wheel and Forgotten Realms cosmology

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 16 8.8%

Shade said:
Interesting. So far, it looks like more people have embraced the FR cosmology since the last time a poll was taken. Now granted, neither of our polls can really be considered scientific, but it is interesting how the results have shifted a bit.
Also interesting that although the votes are very slightly in favor of the FR cosmology, the replies most certainly are not! :)

Faraer

Explorer
Psion said:
You haven't noticed? ;) It has this little brother called Eberron now, who is hogging some of the spotlight.
I think not taking up the whole spotlight is good for the Realms, not a sign of decline. As long as it doesn't get less support.
Joshua Dyal said:
Also interesting that although the votes are very slightly in favor of the FR cosmology, the replies most certainly are not! :)
An object lesson in trying to read consensus into what posters say! On most messageboards people who post are in a minority; I wonder how it goes for poll voters.

Psion

Adventurer
Faraer said:
I think not taking up the whole spotlight is good for the Realms, not a sign of decline. As long as it doesn't get less support.

My point that it is getting less support AFAICT. And it does seem like "make crunch seekers buy FR to fill out their collection" seems to be becoming less central to WotC's strategy for the brand.

Psion said:
My point that it is getting less support AFAICT. And it does seem like "make crunch seekers buy FR to fill out their collection" seems to be becoming less central to WotC's strategy for the brand.
Has their strategy really changed since 3e in regards to the brand, though? It seems like the same kinds of books at more or less the same pace to me.

Psion

Adventurer
Joshua Dyal said:
Has their strategy really changed since 3e in regards to the brand, though?

Definitely.

Witness Monsters of Faerun. Brand specific crunch support.

Compare: MM III. Core support with brand specific tidbits.

Of course, this may be so they can support both FR and Eberron, but I think it supports the core only/homebrew/third party customers better as well.

But other than Monsters and Magic of Faerun, what other brand specific crunch books were there? Wasn't it right after that they started on the regional sourcebooks, which are still the common FR releases today?

Psion

Adventurer
Joshua Dyal said:
But other than Monsters and Magic of Faerun, what other brand specific crunch books were there? Wasn't it right after that they started on the regional sourcebooks, which are still the common FR releases today?

Races of Faerun
FR Players Guide
Underdark
and to a lesser extent, Faiths and Pantheons (Sean just pointed out there was some pretty important drow stuff in there I overlooked :eek: )

Staffan

Legend
Psion said:
These deities only appear in FR products.
In 3e, Sehanine Moonbow also appears in the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer. In 2e, the whole pantheons were in the Planescape book On Hallowed Ground.

As for the poll, I responded that I use the FR cosmology. That's not entirely true: I would use the FR cosmology if I was running an FR campaign. Currently I'm running an Eberron campaign instead, however. Also, having read the thread, I like Jester47's version: the FR cosmology being the part of the larger multiverse seen in Beyond Countless Doorways that's known to the people of Realmspace.

Remove ads