• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[FR] Lantan Gunpowder Weapons?

Dash Dannigan

First Post
Looking for stats for various gunpowder weapons, primarily pistols and rifles. Anyone know where?

edit- changed the title of the thread, was too general.

Last edited:

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Depends on what you're looking for.

If you want renaissance style weapons, Green Ronin had some rules in the d20 Annual Dragon magazine a year or two back. I don't know if they have those in downloadable form on their website or not...

Iron Kingdom's firearm rules are available at their site.

If you need modern weapons, of course there's d20 MOdern, and the d20 CoC book also has an excellent chapter on guns.

Dash Dannigan

First Post
Thanks

Clark411, indeed I'm planning a D&D campagin set in the Forgotten Realms. Though are there pistols in the DMG? I've never seen any but perhaps they are hidden in one of the chapters. Is this in the new DMG or old?

Kid Charlemagne, thanks for the sources I'll give them a look. To be more specific I'm looking for appropriate gunpowdered weapons as might be produced by the island of Lantan in the Forgotten Realms.

clark411

First Post
3.5 DMG p. 145 Renaissance Weapons: Pistol and Musket.

The rules are as simple for them as they are for most 3.5 weapons... which is about as complex as I'd want to get with anything. I always pause when I see DMs go overboard with rules for how firearms work but don't apply the "Nifty" to the potential rules for how swords, bows, crossbows, etc work.

Coming up with hand cannons and other, more crude versions of the Renaissance stuff is pretty easy to do based on what's in there.. just fiddle the numbers, up the error ranges, etc.

Pax

Banned
Banned
And an early-1800's black powder revolver wouldn't be too hard to model, either -- as many shots as it has chambers in the cylinder, before having to reload -- the usual actions needed per chamber, based on the gun. Of course, that requires a just-post-renaissance percussion-lock weapon to work properly.

Failing that, multi-barrel weapons work just fine as flint- and match-lock black powder firearms. A double-barrel pistol is no great shakes to build; probably cost triple or quadruple as much as a normal pistol with that lock.

What really needs to happen is, a set of rules for building firearm stats, to model the huge variety of mechanical differences. The rules for a firearm with a matchlock would be slightly different from a flintlock, which in turn would be different fom those for a wheel-lock or percussion-lock.

Options for multiple barrels, then revolvers, and even some primitive magazine-like constructions, would also be very useful. Both sets of rules would need to take into account such niceties as how many rounds can be preloaded, wether or not the cylinder or block (or other magazine-equivalent) can be readily replaced with a fresh, preloaded one "while under fire", and so on.

WRT the "block" / magazine-equivalent: picture a rectangular block of metal, with barrel-diameter-bore holes bored most of the way through, and wells in which is a "nipple" ready to recieve a percussion-lock cap. Insert into weapon, affix percussion cap to the first chamber ... aim ... fire ... operate loading-lever mechanism to shift to the next chamber in the row ... lather, rinse, repeat. Basically, a "reloading crossbow" version of a musket or pistol.

The hard part would be, the GM would really need to be the one using those rules, not the players. S/he would have to decide, using those rules, what general sorts of firearms were generally available where; if players wanted something special, they'd have to describe what they wanted, then, spend time in-game trying to find a gunsmith capable of (and willing to) conducting experiements aimed at that desired end-product.

Havilor

First Post
The Black Powder Weapons and rules in From Stone to Steel would help you very much, and are both realistic and compatible with d20.

Azure Trance

First Post
Oh! Stone & Steel had great stats for those weapons.

Also: Septentropolis campaign site and Anime Kidds civil war gun site should give you lots of ideas.

Remove ads