[FR] Seven Swords of Myth Drannor...[Updated 2-4...A Mother's Lullaby]

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Snakes Amongst the Ruins...

Continuation of Eleasis 22, 1372…

The eight companions made their way through the forest of grand manses that made up this part of the city. They mused that this must once have been a noble quarter due to the extravagance of the homes; merchants usually weren’t so apt to spend their coin on such frivolous opulence. Even the surrounding yards, now overgrown with grass, dandelions and other flora, contained exquisitely crafted porcelain and marble fountains shaped like fairies, unicorns, and other beautiful woodland denizens; and surprisingly most of the fountains still bubbled with fresh clear water. Furniture and sculptures of similar design and craftsmanship lay scattered about the empty yards covered in ivy.

Holly and Morn scouted thirty feet ahead of the others moving along the smooth granite walls of the manses like shadows. The clatter of Vaevictus’s heavy armor was the only sound in the otherwise ominously quiet city.

Morn kept looking over his shoulder every time he heard the scraping of a greave or the rattle of a pauldron. “That’s going to be a problem.”

“We’ll be ok. Just keep sharp” said Holly. She had traveled with heavily-armored knights many times during the War in Cormyr. She knew such armor wasn’t very quiet, but it was handy at turning sword blows when battle inevitably came.

“I’ll keep sharp, but that armor is certainly going to attract unsavory attention” said Morn.

“I figure it will give us a chance to clean Myth Drannor up a little before we reach the temple” said a grinning Holly.

“You really are too brave for your own good aren’t you?” Morn chuckled.

“Runs in the family” she replied nonchalantly.

“Do you hear that?” said Morn. He stopped and cocked his head sideways listening intently, “Strange words…”

Holly stopped and held up her fist, “I do hear something…sounds like hissing.”

The other six companions halted upon seeing Holly’s raised fist. Their eyes roved over the nooks and crannies of nearby manses.

“Something must be amiss. Look about and be ready” said Vaevictus.

“I’m always ready” said Kaela, “but I don’t see anything, too many shadows. Phallon, do you see anything?”

The shadows cast by the manses and foliage that dotted the landscape of Myth Drannor did little to hinder the vision of the half-dragon or dark elves. Still they saw nothing but bright stone walls and the dark vines that covered them.

“I see nothing” said Phallon.

“Nor I” said both Thourne and Uthar’zen.

Celtavian’s eyes were frozen on a point in space ahead of Holly and Morn. “Art is being used ahead. Seek cover quickly …”

Too late. The blue-eyed mage watched as an emanation of bluish energy flowed through the Weave congregating like water in a pool. Moments later the bluish energy erupted like a geyser crashing into him and his companions washing over them like an ocean wave.

Fireball…we’re being attacked” screamed Kaela, her crimson robes burned as she feebly attempted to cover her head.

“Spread out…make it difficult to strike us all” Celtavian said calmly. Through the grace of Mystra, he was unharmed.

The twins drew their bows, “Ahead, a snake floating in the air…”

“A snake with a human head…” said Uthar’zen. Quick reflexes had saved him from the fiery blast.

Vaevictus roared and rushed towards the flying snake.

The flying snake was a dark naga. The lower half of its purple snake body was coiled like a rope ending in a sharp stinger, its upper half, upon which sat a grotesque human head with yellow reptilian eyes and a flickering snake tongue, was swaying back and forth. It cackled and ascended up and away over the roof of a two story manse slightly ahead and to the right of Holly and Morn.

“What in the Nine Hells was that” said Morn utterly surprised.

“I don’t know, but I’m going after it” said Holly.

“Don’t be hasty, Holly” said Morn.

Holly touched two fingers to the Symbol of Shaundakul on her right gauntlet, “Shaundakul, Rider of the Winds, Your servant has need of the winds this day, carry me into the sky…for duty…with courage…to honor the Helping Hand.” Shaundakul answered his servant posthaste. The wind came, her cloak fluttered, and she rose into the sky carried by the winds obedience to her god’s will.

Morn watched in awe, “Praise Shaundakul.”

Holly pursued the snake. As she came over the roof’s horizon small missiles of force struck her bruising and battering her body. The dark naga was not alone; two others similar to itself slithered along the roof’s edge. Their attention turned towards those on the ground.

“There are more” she shouted.

“Holly, get down here now” roared Vaevictus.

“I’m ok. Be warned there are more.” She ignored Vaevictus’s pleas to retreat, “I’m going after them.”

Kaela looked up eyes wide with worry, “Damn crazy girl. She is going to get herself killed.”

“Kaela, can you get us up there?” said the twins.

“No. I do not know that incantation yet” said Kaela.

“Let’s climb up” said Uthar’zen.

“I’m skilled enough to climb the building” said Morn.

“I’m not” said Kaela, “Let’s find stairs. That will be easier.”

Kaela, Vaevictus, Morn, Celtavian, and the twins scoured the walls of the nearby manse looking for a door while moving in a westerly direction around to the front of the building. As they came around the side of the manse, they were met with another fiery attack. Two dark naga’s hissed their heads visible peaking over the edge of the roof.

“Another two, this place is crawling with snakes” said Vaevictus.

“We have to get inside the building” said the twins, “hurry, and search for a door.”

“I’m going to go up the side” said Morn, “I’ve got to help Holly.” He drew a rope with a grappling hook attached from his magic haversack.

“Alright, we’ll keep trying to find some stairs. There has to be a way other than flying to reach the top of this building” said the twins.

“I’ll distract it” said Celtavian confidently, “I can withstand its Art.”

No one thought the blue-eyed mage insane, so they did not try to dissuade him from this seemingly foolish course of action. He walked sure and upright into the middle of the overgrown yard in front of the manse. Wand in one hand and staff in the other, he spoke a single arcane word causing four magic missiles to shoot from the wand while using the staff as a prop hoping it might be misconstrued as having more power than it did.

The four blue force missiles followed opposing parabola-like arcs eventually meeting upon impacting the dark naga. It grimaced and with a few arcane words erected a shield of force. The shield was a counter to the wand’s magic, and he had little other Art at his command, certainly nothing that could challenge the Art demonstrated by the snake. He was a sitting duck.

The dark naga hissed and swayed launching a series of spells.

Thourne watched in abject horror as Celtavian was engulfed in the blast of a fireball after being struck by a flock of magic missiles. She couldn’t believe he was still standing. “I have to help him. He must be hurt.”

“He said he could withstand…Thourne…wait…Thourne!!!” said Phallon.

Thourne disregarded her sister and ran full speed across the grass yard. “Celtavian, I am here”, she proclaimed upon reaching the blue-eyed mage.

“Thourne, why did you come? It is too dangerous for you out here in the open. I am fine, please return to the others and find a way to the roof” said Celtavian, not a hint of emotion in his voice though his eyes conveyed concern for the silver-haired drow woman.

Thourne looked him over, not a scratch, “By Eilistraee’s sword, you are unharmed.”

“By the grace of Mystra I am protected. You on the other hand are not, please return to the others” said Celtavian.

“I’m staying. My kind are resistant to magic in all its forms. I’ll help you distract it” said Thourne.

“So be it. Move away though, so it cannot strike us both with fire. I will try to keep its attention on me.”

Thourne moved a satisfactory distance to Celtavian’s right and harried the snake with arrows.

Uthar’zen had not followed the others around the side of the manse. Instead, he had proceeded to climb the nearest wall. Halfway to the roof, he clung to the wall like a bug; his fingertips searching for cracks in the stone that could be used as handholds. “I must practice climbing a bit more often.” He tried to get his fingers in a crack a few inches beyond his reach. The sound of exploding fireballs could be heard around the corner. “Damn, I’m going to miss the fight.”

Holly and the flying dark naga were like two wasps in aerial combat. She swung her greatsword awkwardly trying to defend and attack at the same time. The dark naga lashed out like a viper trying to sink its poison stinger into Holly’s honey-colored flesh.

Holly’s skin and hair were burnt, but her injuries did not dissuade her from chasing the dark naga all over the roof. Its spell assault had lessened leading Holly to believe that its Art must be exhausted and it had only its poison stinger as a threat

“Sliisssss…finish this human…hssss…sssheee hassss proven sssstronger than I expected…,” the flying dark naga hissed.

“I am busssssy Nolisssss…hsssss…one of the humanssss is climbing to the roof. I must sssstop it” said Sliiisssss, one of the dark naga's on the roof.

“Hurry…thisssss human is dangeroussss” said the flying dark naga.

Holly smile amused, “That’s right. I am dangerous.”

Morn swung the rope like a bola and tossed the grappling hook onto the roof. It landed with a loud clunk on the stone. He slowly dragged the rope until it firmed. The hook had caught on something. He climbed up hand over hand.

Morn was halfway up the wall when he saw a dark naga’s head appear. He climbed faster. It smiled wickedly and began to bite the robe with its sharp fangs.

Morn made it within arm’s reach of the roof when the dark naga bit through the final few strands. He yelled as he fell towards the earth landing with a dull thud. The soft grass of the yard cushioned his fall. He didn’t waste a second lying on the ground, he popped up and headed inside to look for stairs, ‘I’ve got to get to the roof, Holly needs me’ he chided himself, ‘Damn snake’.

Kaela had cast an incantation to increase her footspeed. She ran into the two story building far outdistancing Phallon and Vaevictus and found stairs leading up right away. She took the steps two at a time coming to a short flight of stairs with a trap door at the top that surely led to the roof. “Wait, I’m hurt” she remembered feeling the burn of her wounds. She plucked a few vials containing curatives from her potion belt and flicked the lids off with her thumb quaffing them as quickly as she could. The pain of her wounds lessened and vigor returned to her. “Now I’m ready.” She ran up the stairs and burst through the trapdoor.

The spellbattle between Kaela and two of the three dark naga’s begin in earnest. Kaela flung lightning in answer to their fire. Magical missiles arced back and forth glancing off shields of force. Kaela badly injured both of the dark naga’s, but was herself driven down the stairs where she fell burned and barely conscious.

Celtavian watched the roof in awe. Art danced across it like bards on a stage. Arcane power surged and diminished as though each spell were part of an ill-conceived symphony with a chaotic tempo. Bizarre, unpredictable fluctuations in the Weave caused spells to change during the nearly instantaneous travel from their point of origin to their point of impact: Magic missiles became small gems; fireballs became small hurricanes causing chunks of rubble to fly about like wind strewn leaves. The instability of the Weave in Myth Drannor was bewildering.

‘First hand study of wild magic’ he thought to himself, ‘I will have to record my findings. I’m sure they will interest many a mage.’

Suddenly, a particularly large Weave fluctuation rippled out from the roof to where he and Thourne stood. It roiled over them and they fell into the air like dropped stones. Their they floated helplessly a good seventy feet from the ground.

“A reverse gravity…very interesting…it seems that magic can be both changed and augmented …Thourne, I can’t reach you, but if this magic fails I will cast feather fall to soften your fall” said Celtavian.

“Celtavian, the spell duel has stopped. The flying snake is coming back. Holly is no longer chasing it” said Thourne feeling dizzy and a bit sick from the sudden change in altitude.

“Fight it as well as you can” said Celtavian, “I have some Art at my disposal if worse comes to worse.”

Phallon and Vaevictus reached the flight of stairs leading to the roof. There lay Kaela burnt and barely aware.

Phallon knelt next to her, “Go on Vaevictus, I will heal her, you must kill those snakes before they slay the others.”

“Are you sure Lady Phallon? I can heal her as well” said Vaevictus.

“I am sure. Go” said Phallon. She prayed to Eilistraee and laid her hand upon Kaela’s face.

Blisters upon skin disappeared. Kaela’s eyes fluttered. “Must help, Holly’s all alone” she said weakly.

Vaevictus stood for a few moments looking upon Kaela. Upon hearing her weak words, he took to the stairs running straight onto the roof. Slithering towards him was a dark naga intent on finishing Kaela. It was shocked for a moment, and a moment is all it took for Vaevictus to hack its snake flesh. Where a human neck should have been its head lolled to one side barely attached to the remaining stalk of its body. It writhed for a few moments, and then lay still.

Vaevictus turned towards the other dark naga. It unleashed a spell. The half-dragon felt his feet leave the ground. He floated helpless as a bobbing apple a good distance above the roof.

Kaela quaffed more curatives and Phallon sang songs of healing. It was not long before the lady sorceress was ready to head to the roof again.

“Let’s go Phallon. I feel much better” said Kaela as she went up the stairs.

Phallon needed no urging. She drew her blade and followed Kaela.

As soon as the two ladies set foot on the roof they were swept into the sky. Both spun heel over heel until coming to rest thirty feet above. They weren’t too far from Vaevictus and spread about the sky like floating dolls were all their companions (save Uthar’zen who was still trying to climb the wall), a dark naga’s corpse dripping blood, a living dark naga hissing curses, and still another living dark naga flying about unhindered.

“This is quite a mess” said Kaela.

“Yes, it is” agreed Phallon.

Holly halted in mid-flight confused by the sudden turn of events.

The flying dark naga wasted no time furthering the distance between itself and the sword wielding human.

The other living dark naga floated in the air as unable to move as her companions. It began launching spells intended to slay.

Holly flew towards it attacking viciously.

Kaela, not yet depleted of Art, did not float idly awaiting death from the dark naga’s spells. She flung green acid darts at the snake every time it started to cast.

Unable to defend itself from both Holly’s sword and Kaela’s acid darts, the dark naga was slain. Its flesh melted and several notches were hewn from its hide.

The flying dark naga fled. It warned others of its kind about the eight companions, telling them that a powerful a group of adventurers wandering in their territory should be avoided if one did not want to come to an early demise.

Holly carried most of her companions to the ground, and Celtavian made use of a feather fall to see Vaevictus did not have an unpleasant fall.

Exhausted physically and magically, the eight companions found safe refuge for the night in the basement of an old manse an hours travel from where they fought. There they passed a watchful, uneventful night.

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Life for Meat...

Eleasis 23, 1372…

Morn yawned and bit into a piece of salty beef. “I could use a haunch of venison cooked over an open fire and smothered with honey. This dry beef is good enough for the road, but I prefer fresh meat.”

“Me too…” said Holly grimacing at the salty beef, “we’ll have fresh meat and more once we reach Shaundakul’s Throne and that should only be a few more days.”

“What are we going to do when we reach the Throne?” said Vaevictus, “My business is not with Shaundakul’s followers, but with the followers of the Spider Queen. Will they have word of the drow? We’ve not seen hide nor hair of those accursed spider elves and have only the eyes of a greedy merchant to assure us they are here.”

“They should. There are more than a few good scouts at the Throne” said Morn remembering that his father and brothers had gone to the Throne more than two tenday’s ago. If he hadn’t been away harrying some Malarite’s, he and his friends who had been slain by the drow would have been at the Throne as well.

“Good. Let us set to then. I tire of this cellar” said Vaevictus. He stood up and strode to the stairs sheathing the greatsword he had spent the last hour sharpening.

The other seven companions followed.

They left the confines of the manse’s cellar and set off for Shaundakul’s Throne moving in a Northeasterly direction through the ruined city as Emrock had bid them do. It was a quiet warm day with the sun’s light covering the city like a blanket.

After an hour of travel, Morn passed in front of a wide and tall polished oak door with thick iron bands and a large door knob shaped like a wolf’s head with ruby eyes set into a wall of white sandstone that was part of a well-built manse. Ahead the stone of a shattered tower lay in a heap upon the ground.

Morn took little notice of the door, but the door did not fail to take notice of Morn. The iron band highest on the door snapped like a taut rope pulled too tightly striking Morn on the back. He stuck to it like an insect caught in the sap of a tree.

The mouth upon the wolf’s head door knob moved, and surprisingly, spoke, “Greetings…a pleasure to meet you. You’re just in time for lunch.”

Morn groaned as he was drawn against the door held fast to the iron band that had struck him. He drew a dagger reflexively from his belt. One of the oak planks that seemingly made up the door loomed over him at an unnatural angle like a hammer waiting to fall.

“I wouldn’t put that dagger to use if I were you. I don’t want to have to kill you.” The wolf’s head door knob stretched a few feet out from the door, the handle connecting the door and the knob bending like a piece of wire as it looked about. “I see there are quite a few of you,” it said while watching the other companions hustle forward.

Holly’s eyes were wide with surprise. “Let him go” she said drawing her greatsword, “Let him go now or you will taste steel.”

“I’m quite sure I could pound your friend into a messy pile of flesh before you could slay me my dear. I hear dying is quite an unpleasant experience, one that I would prefer to share if given no other choice. Please, for your friend’s sake, lower your blade.”

“Morn, are you ok?” said Holly concernedly.

“My head aches a bit, but I’m not done in. Don’t worry about me, just kill this thing” said Morn. He did not fear death and refused to be used like a coin in a gambling game.

“Don’t listen to him, Holly. He is quite dazed. I only want to parley. Can we not at least talk first? Perhaps an equitable bargain can be reached” said the wolf’s head door knob.

“You’re probably a liar. Let Morn go, then we can talk” said Holly.

“Well, if I am, you can most certainly slay me after we talk. There is no harm in talking” said the wolf’s head door knob.

The other companions now stood in a half-circle about the door with readied blades and spells on the tips of tongues.

“What is going on?” said Vaevictus “Are you stuck Morn?”

“No, I ‘m resting” said Morn irritably, “Of course I’m stuck. This door’s surface is like glue.”

“We will cut you free” said Vaevictus raising his sword, “I don’t know what manner of creature you are, but you had best let him go lest I cleave him free.”

“Sir, you will accomplish nothing but a hasty death for your friend should that blade fall. I am quite capable of smashing him to pulp as I have told young Holly here. Please, let us speak first, words before blood I always say.”

“Why should we parley with the likes of you? A dishonorable layer of traps who bargains with lives he does not own” said Vaevictus with a hint of a growl in his voice.

The plank of wood hovering over Morn’s head swayed back and forth, “Because I have your friend between the hammer and the anvil, if I might be so blunt. If he would like to keep the contents of his skull intact, it would behoove his companions to talk before they strike.”

“Speak” said Vaevictus brusquely.

“Excellent…now my proposition is simple: his life for a bit of fresh meat” said the wolf’s head door knob.

“Fresh meat…that is it?” said Uthar’zen incredulously, his left brow arched.

“Well, I have developed a fondness for a particular type of meat. It has an unusual flavor that I adore… and given your great number, I’m quite sure you could acquire it for me. I would be most grateful.”

“What type of meat would that be?” inquired Thourne.

“Gnoll meat…there is a particularly strange breed of gnolls that reside not far from here. They have a reddish tinge to their fur and are quite tasty. I am rarely able to find any alone and if there is more than one it is quite dangerous to hunt them, especially if one of the Minotaurs is with them.”

“Minotaurs…” said Phallon, “…great giants with the heads of bulls? This hunt sounds more dangerous the more you tell of it.”

“Yes…yes…quite dangerous, but you look most capable. I’m quite sure if you found a small group of them, you would have no trouble bringing me back a few good haunches of meat. You can of course keep a few of the choicest pieces for yourselves.”

Holly blanched, “I don’t eat gnoll…yech.”

“Personal choices to the contrary, I’m sure your friend’s life is worth a bit of fresh meat” said the wolf’s head door knob, a friendly grin stretched across its face from ear to ear, “And you look like you enjoy slaying evil, foul folk and these gnolls and Minotaurs are quite evil and foul.”

“As are you” said Vaevictus thought he detected no evil taint from the creature, “Why should we not slay you now and save us the trouble of a tougher fight? Morn has taken more than his share of blows. I doubt you could kill him faster than I could kill you.”

“Well, shall we put that theory to the test?” said the wolf’s head door knob “Is your friend’s life worth the gamble? I have certainly survived in these ruins longer than any of you. It hasn’t all been through trickery, I can assure you of that. And I’m not really evil, just hungry.”

“We’ve killed gnolls before Vaevictus. I don’t want this thing to hurt Morn” said Holly, “Let’s hunt the gnolls, but only if it lets Morn go first. We need him for the hunt. He’s our best tracker.”

“That would put me in a rather precarious situation were I to let my bargaining power go” said the wolf’s head door knob, “What assurances can you give me that you will return with the meat and not kill me right now?”

Vaevictus grimaced, “I’ll give you my word as a true knight of Torm that if you let Morn go, I will bring you back meat from these gnolls and whatever else is with them.”

“I swear upon Shaundakul that I will do the same” said Holly.

“And we upon Eilistraee” said the twins.

“Oaths to gods are worth much, or so I would believe” said the wolf’s head door knob, “I will accept these oaths and release this man. When you return drop the meat in front of that pile of rubble” the wolf’s head door knob pointed towards the rubble of the shattered tower “I will see to eating it at my leisure.”

The gluey substance holding Morn dissolved. He stepped quickly away from the door giving it a menacing look. “I should slay you now. I swore no oaths.”

“Morn, I swore an oath to Shaundakul. He is your god as well, so my oath is yours” said Holly, “Let’s hunt some gnoll.”

“So be it. I will not forget you door or whatever you are” said Morn vengefully.

The wolf’s head door knob smiled, “Nor I you, at least not until I savor the taste of gnoll meat.”

The eight companions didn’t have much trouble locating a patrol of the red-furred gnolls. There were five of them dressed in studded leather and armed with halberds and longbows.

Amongst them walked a huge hulking Minotaur covered in red-tinged fur with fierce red eyes that glowed like coal embers. It carried a greataxe larger than a man and had a huge horn not unlike the ones upon its head stuck in its thick leather belt, a trophy taken from a rival most likely.

“By the gods” said Holly as she and the other seven companions watched the gnolls and the Minotaur from a small copse of trees about a mile east of where the door had captured Morn, “I’ve never seen anything so big and fierce looking.”

“Nor I” said Kaela.

“You know what they say” said Morn stone-faced.

“What?” asked Holly and Kaela.

“The bigger they are, the harder they fall” Morn replied breaking into a grin.

Holly and Kaela rolled their eyes.

“I’ll take the Minotaur” said Vaevictus without an ounce of doubt, “it will fall before Torm’s might.”

“Are you sure Vaevictus?” said Holly.

“Yes, I have fought a giant, this bull-headed beast will fall just as easily” assured Vaevictus.

“I saw that dead giant. This Minotaur looks tougher than that giant. But you’re pretty darn tough, so I’ll trust you’re up to the task” said Holly pausing and looking over the faces of her companions, “Everyone ready?”

“Yes” said the others. They set forth to battle with arrows knocked, fingers in spell pouches, and swords drawn.

The fight did not last long. The Minotaur fell to Vaevictus’s blade just as he had foretold. Killing the gnolls was child’s play for the other companions, one of the easier battles they faced together so far.

They stripped the gnolls and Minotaur of their armor and weapons to make them easier to carry.

Kaela noticed the Minotaur’s great horn. “I like this horn” said Kaela lifting the huge horn with some effort. The Minotaur had tried to sound the horn, but Vaevictus ended his life prior to a note being blown. “Here Vaevictus, put this in your bag.”

Vaevictus grumbled, “Stop wasting time Kaela.”

“Vaevictus, I want this horn. Now put it in the bag” said Kaela. She carried the huge horn holding it with both arms in the nooks of her elbows to where Vaevictus stood. “Open the bag.”

Morn chuckled, “You better do as she says.”

Vaevictus glared at Morn, then opened the mouth of the bag, “Put it in. Hurry.”

Kaela slid the horn into the bag. It disappeared and the bag showed not a trace of it through its leather exterior.

“Now I’m ready to go. Should I help you carry one of these gnolls? The Minotaur is far too big for me to carry” said Kaela.

“No. I’ll carry a gnoll. I’m sure Uthar’zen and Morn can carry one each. Unless you have magic to make the load lighter” said Vaevictus.

“No. I have no spell make the trip easier.”

Vaevictus looked to Celtavian, “You?”

Celtavian shook his head, “I am sorry. My Art is limited and I have no spell to lighten the load.”

Morn sighed, “We’ll do it the hard way.” He hefted a gnoll onto his back. It was heavy and unwieldy and smelled like a dead dog.

Holly pulled some rope from her magic haversack, “I’ve a better way to carry’em Morn. Set that one down.”

Vaevictus and Uthar’zen stumbled along each carrying a single gnoll. Holly and Morn and Phallon and Thourne had tied the gnolls legs together and arms to their bodies, each duo carried a gnoll on their shoulders like lumberjacks carrying a log. They marched through the ruins.

“We should kill the door when we return” said Morn.

“No. We give it the meat and leave. It was not evil. It should be no surprise to us that others hunt in ways that seem strange to us” said Vaevictus, “We have kept our word and it has kept its word. But if it should cross our path again, we will finish it.”

It took over an hour to travel the mile back to where the door told them to leave the meat. They dropped the dead gnolls near the rubble of the shattered tower. All who had carried a gnoll were soaked with sweat and fatigued from the effort.

Morn looked around, “I do not see the door. It is gone.” Where the door had once been was now an empty hole in the sandstone wall.

“It is probably hiding thinking we mean to betray it” said Vaevictus, “Let us just leave the meat and go.”

“I need to rest for a bit. Let’s find somewhere to eat and maybe take a little shower. That decanter we took from the drow provides limitless water. It can be used like a shower as well. I don’t like smelling like gnoll. Let’s find a quiet building to rest and clean up” said Holly.

“Sounds good to me” said the twins.

“And me, though I just want the rest and food. I always smell nice” said Kaela who used her Art to keep herself perfumed and cleaned.

Vaevictus stood and said loudly to no one in particular, “The meat is here. Our bargain is complete. Do not cross our path again or you will be the one hunted.”

With that said, the eight companions sought for shelter.

A particularly large piece of stone amongst the rubble of the shattered tower sprouted arms and a mouth “Well, I’m glad their gone. They were most testy.” It pulled itself forward along the ground. “This is more than enough meat to last me quite a number of days. Why would I even think of bothering them again? I’m not that rude.” Its mouth opened wide and bit into a delicious, bloody gnoll.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
A mother's lullaby...

“A weapon is an evil thing if the hand that wields it lacks compassion or mercy or justice, traits true heroes regard as the entire reason to ever take up arms.” –Salvanar Nedri

Eleasis 24, 1372…

The fourth day of the journey started out much as the others had with the eight companions breaking their fast on dry, salty meats and hard cheese before leaving the confines of yet another dark and musty abandoned manse for the sunlit ruins. Once above, they slunk through the city like small animals avoiding the attention of hungry predators moving from bush to wall to shadowy doorway taking hours to traverse a few miles.

Shortly after midday as the sun reached its apex, a soft song came lilting through the air like a summer breeze. Hoping to meet a friend, they followed the song coming to a slightly ajar oak gate bearing the arms of some elven noble house long ago forgotten set into tall, cracked, ivy-covered walls surrounding a great stone manse.

They stood in a line pressing their backs and shoulders to the ivy-covered wall listening, heads cocked and ears prickly.

Moments passed…

“The singer is an elven lady…she sings a child’s song…” Phallon sang softly, “…Night has come, the stars doth shine… the moon mother is watching…go to sleep, my sweet child...It is ‘The Moon Mother’s Song’, a song of Sehanine Moonbow though we dark elves name the Moon Mother Eilistraee, every elven child has heard it save perhaps the children of wild elves and subterranean dark elves. Our mother used to sing it to us when we were young.”

“I have never heard this song. You will have to sing it to me sometime my lady” said Uthar’zen.

“As you wish, my love” said Phallon sharing a soft, longing gaze with her handsome lover.

“Sister, how is it that an elven woman and her babe has come to Myth Drannor? This place is far too dangerous for such as them. And does she not know it is day?” said Thourne.

“I have the same questions, sister. We should approach. If need be, we shall take her and her babe to safety.”

“We may scare her off if we approach. Other elves do not love us though we are not their enemies” said Thourne sadly.

“I can approach with you. Perhaps my presence may comfort the elven lady. She may have walked through a magical gate and become lost in the city. Or it may be a trap. Or…” Celtavian paused, a thoughtful expression crossing his normally emotionless mask, “…it may be that she is a remnant of the past, some restless spirit unable to cross over to Arvandor.”

“It may be. The rest of you stay here, but be ready. Just in case it is a trap” said the twins.

“We will listen carefully” said Vaevictus.

“And come if needed” said Holly quietly unsheathing her greatsword.

The others consented.

“Celtavian, come” said the twins.

Phallon gently pushed open the oak gate, and then she, Thourne, and Celtavian stole into the courtyard. Within were apple and cherry trees and rose bushes and overgrown grass untended since the fall of the city. They wove their way through the overgrowth; there eyes searching for the singer, the lovely voice from afar that should not be in this ruin full of evil. After traveling no more than fifty yards, they came upon her.

“There she is… near the great house” said the twins from the shadows of an apple tree.

“I see her as well…just as I suspected” said Celtavian who was crouched behind a hedge of rose bushes several feet to the left of the apple tree.

Not far from where they were hidden stood an elven lady, tall and fair with auburn hair. She was alone gazing up at a large, jagged hole with blackened edges on the second story of the great stone manse that the walls surrounded, nearby were a set of steps leading to double doors that were nothing more than fragments of wood and rusty hinges. The elven lady wore mail that should have shown brightly in the sun, yet it did not, and she carried a long spear with a metal head and a wooden haft. Or so it seemed from afar, but after carefully observing they saw that she and all that she wore and held was a sculpture of translucent mist; a ghostly remnant of the past animated by some unknown sorrow or unfulfilled duty keeping her from passing over to Arvandor, the heaven of the elves.

“She is indeed a ghost…what now?” said Celtavian his voice showing no hint of fear.

“We approach and reveal ourselves” said the twins with wide eyes, “Let us hope that she does not seek to do us harm. We have never met a ghost.”

The blue-eyed wizard nodded, “I shall follow a short distance behind. I see no other dangers or hidden magic. Still…be wary.”

“We always are” said the twins. They said a short prayer to Eilistraee, then walked forward hands upraised and palms out taking up the ‘The Moon Mother’s Song’ with voices as soft and sweet as songbirds.

Celtavian walked a few feet behind them methodically studying the ghostly elven woman.

She turned, her ethereal green eyes upon them filled with misty tears falling in a continuous stream, each teardrop a ghostly wisp disappearing after falling from her cheeks. The anguish upon her face was as telling as a smile and pained the tender hearts of the drow women.

“Who sings with me…drow I see…but what drow know the songs of the Tel-quessir” she asked in a soft and wary tone.

“Drow who serve the Dark Maiden know the songs of the Tel-quessir” said the twins.

“We sing such songs often” said Phallon.

“Strange…have the drow conquered the Tel-quessir and stolen our songs?”

“Nay…they have not…” said the twins. They moved to within a longsword’s length of the ghostly elven woman.

“Then why are there drow singing Tel-quessir songs while walking in Myth Drannor…has our city fallen?”

“Yea…Myth Drannor has fallen…it is no more save in sorrowful memory and the songs of bards” said Phallon.

“A pity…I wondered why no one had come to help me…I’ve waited for so long…I cannot even remember how long...how long has it been since the city fell?” asked the ghostly elven woman.

“It has been over 600 years since the fall of Myth Drannor” said the twins.

She sighed sadly, “…and yet the orc remains keeping me from my child…600 years…” she stared off contemplating the revelation, “One endless day of misery it seems to me.”

“This orc you speak of…Is that what saddens you so?”

She looked again at the twins, “yes…’the orc’ is the harbinger of my sorrow…the orc bars the way to my child…he is in that room…the room beyond the hole…my child and this orc” she pointed a ghostly finger at the blackened hole on the second story, “There he stands vigilant watch over my sweet Arrian, my dear sweet child. He tells me that I shall never see Arrian again. The foul thing…how can it be allowed to keep me from my child?” She let out a sorrowful wail, “GIVE ME MY CHILD.”

An evil voice growled from beyond the blackened hole in simple common, “NO CHILD ELF WHORE.”

“That is ‘the orc’” she said eyes falling to the ground, “he torments me. I want only to see my child laid to rest, yet ‘the orc’ will not let me have him.”

The twins eyes narrowed as they gazed at the blackened hole, “We will help you lay your child to rest…fear not, the Power of Eilistraee will prevail.”

“You will help me? Drow will help a sun elf? How strange” her ghostly green eyes flickered with hope.

“Some dark elves are not drow” said the twins, “And we would help a sister elf be she sun or moon or wood…for love of our kin.”

“It is said that long ago drow were once Tel-quessir…now I know it to be true…I am the Lady Melithra Ventiyar of House Ventiyar. It is a pleasure to meet my dark elven kin.”

“We are…” said the twins.

“…Phallon…” said Phallon.

“…and Thourne…” said Thourne.

“…Spidermoon” the twins finished the sentence, “By the sword of the Dark Maiden we swear we shall rescue your child and help lay him to rest.”

The elven lady’s eyes glanced back to Celtavian, “And you sir? What of you? You look like a moon elf, yet you seem not so elven to me. Will you help as well?”

“I am half-sun elf” the blue-eyed mage said “… My name is Celtavian Magerius, son of Natherian Magerius, the Magesword of Evermeet and I would be remiss in my duties were I not to aid my father’s people…Of course I will help.”

“The Magerius family is well-known amongst the elves of Myth Drannor. It is an honor to meet the son of the Magesword.” Melithra bowed.

“It is an honor to meet you as well Lady Melithra of House Ventiyar.” Celtavian bowed in return.

“Come Melithra. We must speak with our friends. You must tell us of this orc. We wish to know what we fight.”

“I will tell you all I know of that foul thing…though it might be better if I show you” said Melithra, “then you will know my sorrow true.”

“Show us? Can ghosts still enter the reverie?” said the twins curiously.

“Yes…I can show you, though it will not be in a manner typical of elven reverie. I no longer rest as I did when I lived. Let us go.”

Thourne and Melithra were joined, souls intertwined, consciousnesses merged, memories shared, no longer could either determine which memories were their own and which were the others. They were one sharing the lives of two. And swift and swirling came the maelstrom of memories to their unified spirits and minds. Melithra’s first dancing lesson…upon the fresh green grass of Moondancers Glen within the Cormanthor where Thourne’s mother taught her and Phallon the first steps of the ‘The Sword Dance’. Thourne’s first silver dress...made by Thentia Lavelliar, one of the finest seamstresses in Myth Drannor, radiant pink and red, constructed of the finest silk fringed with roses along the sleeves and neck. Thusly, the two elven women bared themselves, living from moment to moment the others life. Darkness did not enter their youthful memories until the coming of the Fall of Myth Drannor. Of that dark time, Melithra had only sad memories and Thourne had none at all having not yet been born.

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
A mother's lullaby continued...

Thourne-Melithra sat in the lotus position on the grass hidden behind a hedge of bushes within the overgrown courtyard surrounding the great stone manse. Moments before the other seven companions had watched Melithra pass into Thourne like a figment of the imagination.

Phallon sat to Thourne-Melithra’s left holding her hand and caressing her silver hair, “Tell us what you see?”

The other six companions stood or kneeled around Thourne-Melithra in a semi-circle keeping one eye out for trouble and one eye on her.

Thourne-Melithra’s eyes were far away looking upon the past.

“Is she ok? She doesn’t look ok” said Holly.

“No, she doesn’t” agreed Kaela.

“I’m sure Melithra would not hurt her” said Phallon, “You detected no evil in her, right Vaevictus?”

“No. I did not detect the taint of evil within Melithra, nor do I detect it now.”

“Patience” said Celtavian, “Let the two become acclimated to each other.”

Thourne-Melithra’s face changed from moment to moment. Happiness, sadness, anger, frustration, and a plethora of varied emotions expressed themselves through her like some uncontrollable madness.

After a time, her eyes shown with sudden clarity, though they still seemed not entirely her own. She stood and paced frantically, fearfully.

“The horns…the horns…the orcs have come…” said Thourne-Melithra eyes wide and anxious. “…they are in the city killing and destroying…what is that sound at our door?... The orcs are here…they are chopping the doors down…” Thourne-Melithra’s head twisted from side to side as she ran back and forth like a trapped man looking for an escape route, “guards, guards, to the door…the orcs are breaking the doors.”

“What is Thourne talking about?” said Holly, “We should never have let Melithra do this strange joining. It has driven her mad.”

“She is seeing what the elf woman saw at the time of her death” said Celtavian, “It seems her home was under attack.”

“Be still sweet Arrian, be still…all will be well” Thourne-Melithra picked up an imaginary babe and clutched it to her bosom, “…Night has come, the stars doth shine…the Moon Mother is watching…go to sleep, my sweet child…” she sang the lullaby while gently rocking the imaginary babe.

“No…you cannot enter” she set the imaginary babe back in its crib and hefted an imaginary spear “no…be gone foul orc…no, you won’t kill my child…you won’t…” Thourne-Melithra jerked to her side and fell into her sister weeping “no, you won’t kill my child.” She let out an awful piercing scream, her hands and body contorted in a hideous manner akin to being burnt alive, and then she lay as still as the dead.

Phallon caressed her sister’s cheek and cradled her head. “Melithra, come out now, please, my sister can take no more, nor can I.”
Melithra disjoined with Thourne. She looked upon the two sisters. Thourne cried like a baby into Phallon’s bosom, Phallon comforted Thourne like a loving mother. “Now you know what you face and the cause of my sorrow.”

“She was burned to death…her and the orc both…and her child. Some other magic from an unseen source destroyed them all” Thourne sobbed. “The orc threw her aside. It wanted her to watch while it killed her child, but it was killed before it was able to strike a blow. It is an evil thing. Its hate keeps it here tormenting Melithra. Six hundred years she has been tormented…we must end it.”

“We will, Thourne…we will.”

Remove ads