• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fraggle Rock new series on Apple TV+

darjr

I crit!
Wait, so what Ireland saw was different than what England saw...

Really???

Let me wrap my head around that for a second.

I never was really interested in the show, but I caught part of an episode or two. I wonder if you could catch both versions if you lived in Ireland somehow...seeing one with the Inventor and one with the Lighthouse Keeper?
Yea! Imagine, sitting there going “wait, what?” Is this a different show? No it looks the same. Then the end and “wait! What?!”

Mad_Jack

Legend
It would have been possible, but rather unlikely... It would depend, I guess, on which channels were airing the British version of the program. I have no idea whether or not folks in Ireland at the time generally had access to British broadcast tv channels, but Ireland had its own separate tv networks, so unless they were watching the show on cable tv - which wasn't anywhere near as widespread a thing at the time, even in the US - it was unlikely they'd be able to catch two different versions of it.

GreyLord

Legend
It would have been possible, but rather unlikely... It would depend, I guess, on which channels were airing the British version of the program. I have no idea whether or not folks in Ireland at the time generally had access to British broadcast tv channels, but Ireland had its own separate tv networks, so unless they were watching the show on cable tv - which wasn't anywhere near as widespread a thing at the time, even in the US - it was unlikely they'd be able to catch two different versions of it.

I was thinking more if it was broadcast over the air. With a strong enough antenna you could feasibly get both in some areas...perhaps.

Mad_Jack

Legend
So, after a bit of research, apparently folks in the eastern part of Ireland could get British broadcast tv channels during the '80's due to overspill from Wales and Northern Ireland.
And interestingly, for several decades there was apparently a widespread network of large homemade "deflectors" powered by tractor batteries that extended the range of that overspill quite a bit - it seems that pirating Brit tv was sort of literally a national pastime over there, lol. :p
So I guess there actually is a chance some folks might have been able to catch both the British and Irish versions.

darjr

I crit!
I love the idea, kinda implied here, that it could have been intermittent. So one day, the workshop, the next, the light tower.

As a kid I’d be seriously curious.

GreyLord

Legend
I love the idea, kinda implied here, that it could have been intermittent. So one day, the workshop, the next, the light tower.

As a kid I’d be seriously curious.

You know, now that you mention it, I think I actually DID stumble on something like that back when it was actually being broadcast. I saw episodes both with them in the workshop and the Lighthouse or something like that, but never made the connection about it till now.

Remove ads