• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Fralex's Campaign Journal: Princes of the Apocalypse - Session 5 added

Fralex

Explorer
I started attending a D&D encounters thing, and I've always wanted to try doing a campaign journal (ever since I read these amazing ones from GitP), so when this one turned out to be very... unusual... I decided to record my memories eternally on the world wide web! I hope you find the recountings as entertaining as I found the actual campaign!

Prologue: In which my story begins, as is known to happen, in a tavern

[sblock=Well, sort of]Miss Risa Huntly was an unassuming, middle-aged cook who ran a modestly-successful tavern. Unfortunately, this was a fantasy game world, so the tavern soon became a magnet for weird, violent characters, mysterious figures with quests they needed to send other people on, and all manner of miscellaneous contrived plot hooks for stuff she really didn't care about. Bar fights broke out so frequently that she began suspecting some people were doing it just out of sheer boredom, but she soon learned how best to put them to a stop (the trick is to bludgeon whoever's causing the most trouble with whatever object is closest to you, grab them while they're dazed, and toss them out while yelling at the rest to leave). Look, it's for paying customers, alright? I don't know why you all have to come here if you just sit around hoping something exciting happens!

Unfortunately, exciting things continued to happen. First, there was a fierce storm that just descended on the town one day and stayed over it for weeks. Every day the winds and thunder got worse, until finally it faded away. I came to work the next day, only to find my beloved tavern in ruins. The storm had blown it apart. Digging through the wreckage, I found very little that could be salvaged. Some cutlery. Some cooking oil and bottles of grease I'd been saving. A single frying pan. That's when something caught my eye: a flickering light coming from what I discovered to be a fist-sized glass sphere. Inside the orb was a tiny replica of yesterday's storm, miniature bolts of lightning arcing silently between whirling black clouds. I'd heard the rumors before: some idiot conspiracy theorists were saying a secret cabal of elemental-worshiping cultists were behind this awful weather. But now I had proof. The stormy glass orb lying amongst the wreckage had to be some mage's lost arcane focus, and surely only one who cared a great deal about weather would have one like this. I had someone to blame this whole disaster on! They were going to face cast-iron JUSTICE at the end of my lone remaining skillet.

I begrudgingly went to the other tavern in town, putting my faith in the natural tendancy of taverns to give people convenient leads. I had brought a dark cloak and went to the corner of the room, looking mysterious. Half the tavern immediately walked over to me to find out if I had a quest or what. Speaking in a low voice, I told them about the orb I'd found and asked what they knew about elemental cults. One person mentioned there was "suspicious activity" around Rivergard Keep and that they're not saying it's cultists, but it's probably cultists. They were planning to investigate it but wanted to try somewhere easier first to level up some more. Whatever. I had a name, and although on some level I knew setting out to investigate a shady keep unarmed was a really bad idea, I was still too angry at everything to care. I got as far as the shore of the Dessarin River when I realized someone had been stalking me. Before I realized what was going on, I was unconscious.[/sblock]

[sblock=Out of Character]So, as you may or may not have guessed by now, my character is going to be a paladin whose only weapon is a frying pan. I've taken the Tavern Brawler feat to make myself proficient in it, as well as things like oil and alchemist's fire (which in this case I am fluffing as flasks of leftover grease I set fire to and hurl at an enemy). I am not female in real life, but every now and then I get an idea for a character that just pops into my head with a fully-formed image, and I simply can't imagine them looking like anything else. In this case, it was that of a permanently angry, middle-aged woman with her hair in a bun, tightly gripping a large frying pan. I designed her almost subconsciously, realizing only after the mental image was complete that I had, in fact, already decided exactly who this character was. Brains are weird.

Everything up to this point has been backstory. What follows is my first game session, to which I showed up nearly 45 minutes late and a little lost. I just got back from the second session, which I will post afterward, and in which I got a slightly better handle on the story so far, but I have a terrible memory and might have missed some important details. Avoid spoiling anything, but if there's something that I would've known based on what happened in the journal, like important names and places, etc. feel free to share them! OK, enough talking. Back in-character:[/sblock]

Day 1-

Part 1: In which I get rescued, possibly by a nudist

[sblock=No, really]When I woke up, it was pitch black. I was tied to some sort of post, and there was a gag in my mouth. I stayed there for hours, fuming silently, until I heard what sounded like a struggle coming from another room. There was the sound of a door opening. I couldn't see anything in the dark, but I heard at least one pair of footsteps, and I did my best to get their owner's attention making muffled noises through the gag. I heard the footsteps get closer, and a small voice coming from down low ask me if I needed help. I responded with an exasperated gag-grunt. "OK, OK, just wait one minute," the voice answered, sounding a little uncertain. "I need to... um. I uh, hold on."

There was a bizarre noise, like someone putting on their clothes. At this point in the game I didn't have any better idea of what was happening here than my character did, so we were both really confused, but when the gag was removed I declined to comment on it. I explained how I got here and what I had been trying to do, he untied me, and a light was lit. My rescuer was a figure in a cloak, a whole lot taller than I had previously thought, with disproportionately-stubby arms and legs. Apparently he was here alone, the rest of his party was in another part of Rivergard Keep. The room now illuminated, I recognized my pack sitting in the corner. To my relief, everything I'd packed in it was still there, including the weird glass orb, which I had been sure would be confiscated. I suppose since everything else about me suggested I was an ordinary commoner with a pack full of regular items (I had no weapons or armor), they didn't realize I had that orb buried at the very bottom.

Wow. Starting the game captured, but finding all my starting gear immediately after escaping? What were the odds, right!? When we came out of the room I saw the guards had been slain. One of them was roughly my size and shape, and had some nice chainmail armor which I took for myself (this was the armor I had in my starting gear, but once I saw the opportunity I decided it made more narrative sense to get it this way since tavern keepers don't buy expensive armor). The tall, cloaked guy who freed me, whom I later learned was a sorcerer, said we needed to get back to the main group, but we should get what he came here for first. He then lead me to a small dock in which resided a couple rowboats. We rode them along the coast of the island for a short time until we reached what I assume was the main fortress.[/sblock]
Part 2: In which it turns out my character build is far from the only weird one

[sblock=Player response to my PC's description: "You'll fit right in!"]The Keep was made of four corner towers, three of which were currently on fire. I asked the sorcerer if I was right in assuming his friends were somewhere near the huge fire, to which he replied no, of course not, they're obviously in the corner of the fort they haven't gotten started on burning yet. Let's see if they're ready now. We entered the fort and eventually found the area they were fighting guards in. Or rather, the area in which they had just finished killing everyone in (during my rescue scene, the DM was simultaneously running a fight in this area, and finished it around the same time we got there). He briefly introduced me to the group, told them about the boats, and we all got in and headed for the mainland. As of this post I have not yet familiarized myself with the party's exact composition (no thanks in part to the fact that this was an AL game, and at least one player was absent in the next session), but from what I've gathered it consists of the wild sorcerer who rescued me, a goliath fighter with a level of warlock, a valor(?) bard, a wizard with a wand of magic missile, and I THINK also a rogue, equipped with a +1 dagger and having apparently just acquired a robe of useful items. I'm sure I'm forgetting some people, and if you read this I apologize for my poor memory. I'll make corrections later.

The goliath was completely enamoured with his rowboat, and, when we reached the mainland, insisted on dragging it with us. His reasoning seemed to be "it could totally be useful later!" and "I have a huge carrying capacity, and I'm gonna use it." There was talk of plans that I didn't understand at the time, having something to do with a guy they'd met and caused the death of named Meister. Apparently the place they had just ransacked was part of a water cult, which explained the altar in one of the rooms we'd passed through. Now we were somewhere in the Sumber Hills. We traveled through them for a time then stopped for a long rest. It was then, I believe, that I learned the individual who'd rescued me wasn't actually an individual; he was two kids in a cloak standing on each other's shoulders, the bottom one of which was a sorcerer. This revelation, of course, answered any and all questions I might have had about the sorcerer and raised no new ones whatsoever. I can safely say that this is one mystery I've completely solved. Two kids in a cloak? Sure! Makes perfect sense. Don't know why I didn't figure that out from the beginning. Moving on...[/sblock]

Day 2-

Part 3: In which we learn there is more to lying than just being convincing

[sblock=And I finally get to hit something]We continued our trek though the hills. We were interupted by an angry pair of ankhegs. The goliath attacked them gleefully, tackling one to the ground and wrestling it furiously, the pair rolling over each other on the ground several times as each struggled to get the upper hand. I made my only attack for this session, hitting the other with my skillet. I was starting at level 1, but the rest of the party was at levels 3-4 by this point and the acidic beasts posed little trouble. We slayed them and moved on.

Eventually we came upon a tall, ivory tower. A moat with the bridge raised kept us from entering. At which point the goliath triumphantly put the rowboat he'd been carrying down in front of us. He excitedly slid it to the edge of the moat... and found out that it was actually just a really deep chasm, with no water until the bottom. Instead, we just had our wizard teleport across with misty step and knock on the doors. They opened and a woman stepped out. We later learned her name was Savra.

Savra said:
What are you doing here? Who are you people?
Us said:
Uh... we're, um, traveling performers?
One pair of successful Deception and Performance checks later...

Savra said:
Well, what do you know. This is great; your timing couldn't be more perfect! We were all going to have a grand feast tonight, and haven't had live entertainment in quite some time! You're hired!
Us said:
Haha... great...
[/sblock]

And so ended the first session. The DM decided to be nice and give me XP for all the encounters the group had won this session, even though I showed up late and only made one attack roll in one fight. That brought me up to level 2! I can use paladin magic now! But since my backstory implies I wasn't really becoming one deliberately, I'm gonna RP it like I don't yet realize I have special powers until I use some by accident. I also got to adopt a Fighting Style; I went with Dueling for the extra damage whenever fighting with a single, one-handed weapon. Which for me is all the time. My frying pan now does a respectable 1d6 + 5 damage on a hit. Yay.

Last edited:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Could you please remove the spoiler tags? If people are reading this thread, they know there will be spoilers (it's a campaign journal for a published campaign!) As it stands, it puts a barrier between your writing and the reader.

Cheers!

Fralex

Explorer
Could you please remove the spoiler tags? If people are reading this thread, they know there will be spoilers (it's a campaign journal for a published campaign!) As it stands, it puts a barrier between your writing and the reader.

Cheers!

Well, I was doing that more for ease of navigation, so when there's a lot of posts the reader won't have to scroll as much to find a certain section. Will that just be annoying?

Jaelommiss

First Post
I prefer having it broken up by spoiler tags. If I need to stop reading before the end (and that happens fairly frequently) it makes it far easier to find where I was.

Morlock

Banned
Banned
I browse with Javascript turned off (by necessity), and only turn it on when I have to. So, I vote for no spoiler tags.

Fralex

Explorer
I browse with Javascript turned off (by necessity), and only turn it on when I have to. So, I vote for no spoiler tags.

Hmm. Does turning off Javascript make it impossible to read what they contain? I wonder if there's some other way I can break the sections apart...

Fralex

Explorer
Fralex's Campaign Journal: PotA Session 2 Added

Session 2
I haven't decided whether or not to keep the spoilers, but for now I'll leave them as-is. When I have the spare time I'll try going back and changing them.
Part 1: In Which We Just Sort of Make Things Up As We Go

[sblock=The only losers at improv are the audience]So we had convinced them we were traveling performers. And then we got hired to put on a show. Tonight. Well, we were sorta stuck with that story at this point, and refusing might look suspicious, so we just hoped for the best. The tower was apparently called Feathergale Spire. Inside there were a bunch of large eagle statues, one of which hung from a chain near the entrance and looked rigged to swing down and impale unwelcome guests. We were lead up a very long spiral staircase, after which the DM made us all make Constitution saves. I was really worried we had walked into a trap, but it was just to avoid getting tired by the long hike. We all passed, except for the sorcerer (which makes sense, considering "his" predicament).

The leader, named Thurl Merosska, welcomed us with a very low bow and said we were welcome to stay in some private guest rooms to clean up and prepare for tonight. We thanked him and accepted his offer. Once we were alone in the room, we discussed what to do. Out-of-character, we were all pretty sure these people were secretly an air elemental cult or something, and we considered betraying them, but in-story they'd been nothing but kind and courteous to us. There really wasn't any reason to make enemies of them when they were so willing to help us. The performance we were expected to put on tonight was something of a problem, but the majority of us had high Charisima and we figured we'd be able to entertain these people somehow. I mean, we're adventurers; between our impressive class abilities and perilous exploits, it didn't sound as hard as we originally thought. And a giant feast would be nice.

So we came into the dining hall for the banquet. During the feast, we all got up and attempted to do something approximating entertainment. We hadn't thought to actually discuss what we'd each do, so the whole thing got a bit chaotic and disjointed. The rogue and goliath had jingly jester hats because of course they did (apparently from an earlier encounter in the story...? so many questions), and while the rogue and wizard worked together to tell our stories alongside illusory slideshows, the goliath decided he'd be a mime. Both were violently interrupted by the appearance of the sorcerer, who dazzled the audience with magic (I wish I remembered this part more clearly) and enhanced his performance roll with an application of Tides of Chaos. I got out of needing to put on a show by explaining I was the group's cook, though I offered to help prepare the feast (they declined). The food itself was perfect, to my tremendous jealousy, but I reluctantly ate it and even more reluctantly enjoyed it.[/sblock]

Part 2: In Which We Turn an Ordinary Encounter into Complete Chaos

[sblock=Among other changes]My friends had succeed in entertaining the people of Feathergale Spire, and everyone was happily tipsy. It's around that time that a guard came running in, exclaiming that a manticore had been spotted. Thurl promised to reward an ornate ring to whoever brought him the beast's head. The people in the dining hall rushed to get their equipment and we did the same. Thurl even lent us each a hippogriff mount to help pursue the creature. The sorcerer's reaction was... strange. His bottom half lurched forward gleefully, while he shouted at it to stop and that this was a terrible idea. His body bending at weird angles, he eventually steadied himself on the mount, still looking very worried. The drunken observers declined to comment.

With that we took to the skies, joining a group of similarly-mounted knights. For the first few minutes we saw nothing, the DM having us roll checks every so often. One of us saw a winged shape dart by, but lost track of it in the clouds. Finally a knight shouted "There it is!" and we all closed in on the snarling monster. I was determined to make a good impression and confidently shouted it down as fiercely as I could. To my surprise, it actually seemed to back down timidly, which gave the goliath an opening. He swooped into melee range, JUMPED OFF HIS HIPPOGRIFF, and TACKLED THE MANTICORE IN MID-AIR.

The sorcerer was feeling less brave. He gingerly opened the bottom of his cloak slightly, developed tiny third arm on his stomach, and with a flourish it conjured a swarm of glowing darts that bombarded the monster. It was then that the Tides of Chaos came rushing back in a wild surge of haywire magic. He rolled on the Wild Surge table... and got a 77. Make a Wisdom saving throw to not turn into a sheep. The player nervously checked his Wisdom modifier. To his dismay, it had not spontaneously got any less negative. His upper half began shrieking as his lower half rippled and pulsed sporadically. Miraculously, he passed. Now, this next part I'm a little confused about, because it's sort of a weird way to interpret the rules. But it was pretty fun, so I didn't really care. The DM said that since he passed the save to not become a sheep, but he had still cast polymorph, he now got to choose what the spell turned him into. The effects would take place on his next turn.[/sblock]

Part 3: In Which I Perform Additional Magic and Remain Confused by it

[sblock=Definitely less confused than the manticore probably felt, though]The groveling thing was weird, but I pressed on and closed in to give the manticore a taste of cast iron. I didn't notice it, but the frying pan was starting to glow white hot in my grip. When it connected with the monster, there was an explosion of heavenly flames and an inhuman shriek of agony. The goliath, still clinging to the manticore, was unharmed and proceeded to take viscous swings at its hindquarters, apparently trying unsuccessfully to remove its tail. The knights continued peppering it with rays of frost, the other members of the party made their own attacks, and then the sorcerer took his turn. And transformed... into another manticore. With a kid in a cloak still holding on desperately.

The goliath was too focused on the first manticore to see where the second one came from (read: his player had been away from the table and we wanted to scare him). He just saw it as it dropped down from the clouds above him and began fighting the first one. He was too unintelligent (his character, I mean) to work it out then, but chose to ignore it and continue attempting to remove that tail. He was very determined.

SO. To recap: We had a berserk giant riding a gradually-sinking manticore, engaged in an intense one-on-one battle with just the manticore's tail. I was circling it, bludgeoning the thing with a skillet at every opportunity. And a SECOND manticore was chasing it, pummeling it with claws and teeth, carrying a terrified child on its back. All while the knights, the wizard, and the rogue were taking ranged potshots at it. It held out for a few more rounds, but eventually the goliath sucessfully disarmed the tail spikes, delivered several devastating blows to it, and realized with horror he had just killed the only thing keeping him aloft. He desperately groped at the manticore-sorcerer (manticorcerer?) above him, but grabbed only air.[/sblock]

Part 4: In Which Solid Ground Offers its Own Challenges

[sblock=Stupid trees]The goliath braced for impact, positioning himself over whatever part of the dead manticore looked softest, and activated his Stone's Endurance. When the rest of us came down to the impact site, we were relieved to see that he had survived, albeit with half his hit points gone. The knights then returned to the Spire without us, the hunt concluded. The bard suggested we forget about the prize and just make off with the awesome hippocampi we'd been given, but we still didn't want to make unnecessary enemies when we were being offered a place to sleep. Before we could really pull ourselves together, one of our darkvision-endowed party members shouted at everyone to get back in the sky, NOW. The rogue and I did so, and saw several arrows whistle past us as we climbed.

We were under attack by a party of gnolls. They were hiding somewhere too dark for humans to see, but the manticorcerer had darkvision so he responded with a volley of tail spikes. He tried to frighten them off with an intimidation check, but he hadn't gotten used to the manticore's weird facial features and ended up just looking uncomfortable. I don't think the wizard had darkvision, but he didn't care and simply cast sleep on the area. There was the faint sound of a few creatures plopping, but evidently that hadn't gotten all of them seeing as the arrows kept on coming. The rogue and I STILL couldn't do anything because we couldn't see into their hiding spot. On my following turn I lit a torch, pulled out a flask of oil, and threw them both towards the source of the arrow fire. Lighting up the area with a burning pool of cooking oil, the others could finally close in and fight the monsters.

The apparent leader of the pack responded with a bloodthirsty howl that seemed to invigorate the gnolls still standing, which were promptly knocked out by another sleep spell. Now it was just the leader who was up. It was then that I descended on the gnoll, throwing a burning flask of bacon grease at it. The flask burst into flames at its feet, and the leader decided now would be a good time to get out of here while it could. He got a couple yards away until the wizard put him to sleep ("you rolled the EXACT number of hit points it had left," the DM told him).[/sblock]

Part 5: In Which a Triumphant Return is Made

[sblock=On hippogriffs, which we COULD just keep for ourselves, you know]We finished the sleeping hyena-things off, which felt a little cold-blooded but there was really no reason to leave them alive just so they'd regroup later. The leader we were going to interrogate, until it was pointed out that none of us spoke Gnoll and this was almost certainly just an ordinary raiding party with no connection to our main foes. The goliath severed the manticore's head, and the leader's head too, for good measure, and I picked up one of the gnoll minions' longbows, as I had yet to get a ranged weapon. The bard pointed out, once again, that we had been given flying mounts and nothing was stopping us from just taking them for ourselves, look, you guys, unlimited flight is really useful, all Thurl is giving us is a non-magical piece of jewelry, think about it. We said maybe we could negotiate getting a hippogriff instead of his ring reward, but we were not going to commit outright robbery when he'd done nothing wrong to us.

And so we returned to Feathergale Spire, two severed heads in the hands of the goliath. Thurl commended us for our service, especially taking out one of the marauding gangs of gnolls plaguing the countryside. We had earned his reward.

Bard said:
"Okay, I cast suggestion on him, and ask for the mounts instead!"
We really should've seen this coming. To the bard's dismay, Thurl made his saving throw (and we were all relieved that suggestion is subtle enough that he didn't appear to notice the bard's attempt at mind-control) and regretfully told us they were not his to give. He handed the goliath the ring, worth about 250 gp. He did, however, offer to sell us supplies and gave us a tip about some suspicious monks he'd seen heading towards somewhere I don't quite remember the name for, probably Sacred Stone Monastery. We slept overnight at the Spire, bought some supplies, and prepared to follow his lead.[/sblock]

And so my second session comes to a close on the dawn of Day 3. I got another 300XP or so, which means if this keeps up I'll reach level three next session. I thought all of this was pretty entertaining, which is why I decided to share it. I'd love to know what other people think so far! As long as these sessions continue being ridiculous, I'll keep recounting them here.

Last edited:

Fralex

Explorer
Xanthian? Does that mean really wordy or something? I tried to look it up and got a Wikipedia article about obelisks.

And thank you! I wasn't sure whether to continue with these or not because I had no idea whether anyone was actually reading them.

Remove ads