Frankthedm's miniature thread: 2014/04/17 Formless Spawn of Tsathoggua

frankthedm

First Post
Durability? It is wax, and takes damage like it's hardness 0 would indicate. If you make a wax slime treat it like a greenstuff mini. One good hit will sunder the outer shell leaving an ugly crack in it.

The outer coat is a very thick gooping on of aleene's clear gel tacky glue. The pic was actually taken while it was still wet.That was the moment in time i wanted presereved. Sadly the final results will look closer to the red slime's matt & oily look.

frankthedm

First Post
Brush on might not stickand have not gotton back to the fig.

Spray on may likley work, but I have not gotton to this one. There was a mild warm up today and the Death giant just got it's first gloss coat before i headed out to work. I could give it a shot after work.

frankthedm

First Post
Blue:Size comparison & dryed overecoat
blueslimefinal8vs.jpg

Green: 30MM base Black: Huge
greenslime30mmbase1gx.jpg
blackpuddinghugedusty2lg.jpg

Attachments

• blue slime dry.jpg
    blue slime dry.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
Lets do the time warp again!

Hunched Stone Giant. >>>Click for larger image

Here is another image that might show the scale better. The other big boy is my Death giant.

[sblock=Details]75mm is the width of the metal lipped soup can base.

Like the WotC DDM Hunched Giant, this is a huge* mini that can squeeze onto a large* base. Were it to stand up, he’d be about 4” [20’ in mini scale] tall, about the same height as my Death Giant Lich. I prefer giants to be quite a bit larger than the D&D rules call for, 12 feet tall is just too puny for hill and stone giants. Ogres and trolls work at that size, but a giant’s knee should be the height of a human’s face IMO.

His club is a tree rather than a stalactite to have some variation in the tribe of these I will be painting up. He has not used the club much, but the grip has been worn down by his stony hands. The rocks in his reach were painted close to his own skin tone intentionally to represent the +8 [40%] bonus they get to hide in stony areas.

*’D&D size class’ Man size = 25mm base, Large mini = 40mm base, Huge mini =75mm base.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ph35_gal...5_PG150_WEB.jpg {Jolly green giant is huge]

Steps taken
Dark grey primer
Base coated skin a mid grey
Base coated the apron a mid brown
Damp-Dry brushed the skin with a light grey mixed with base grey, lightening the grey each coat
Damp-Dry brushed a light brown directly onto the apron.
Magic washed dark grey over skin
Used a high gloss brown glaze on apron
Damp-Dry brushed the apron with a light brown mixed with base brown, lightening the brown each coat.
Damp-Dry brushed the skin with a light grey mixed with base grey, lightening the grey each coat.
Dry brushed the skin with the pure light grey on the upraised skin areas.
Spray Gloss coated while standing on back porch, left out in the cold due to stink for half an hour.
Touched up left chest muscle with light grey dry brushing.
Dull Coted while standing on back porch, left out in the cold due to stink of Dull Cote for 10 minutes, moved to garage and gave 2nd Dull Cote. Left in there for an hour to let stink dissipate.

Took a 7gram black poker chip and abraded the top of it.
Took 2nd copy of this fig, held it in place on base.
Slopped white glue on to the poker chip, leaving place where the mini will contact the base dry.
Dipped the base into dried out used coffee grounds.
Used 2nd copy if the fig to make sure the mini base glue points were clear.
Allowed the glue to dry, brushed off loose grounds.
Applied more white glue to the grounds and dipped into the grounds a second time.
Allowed the glue to dry, brushed off loose grounds.
Applied more white glue to the grounds and then applied the static grass.
Allowed the glue to dry, Brushed off excess grass.
Abraded painted mini’s contact points [knee, bottom of toes]
Applied white glue to contact points and pressed into base.

Took a 3 inch soup can lid that had been opened with a side cutting can opener.
Mixed white glue / water with dried out used coffee grounds to make base filler.
Taped another poker chip into the offset center of base.
Filled base with coffee ground/glue mix.
Allowed to partially dry, popped out poker chip.
Put extra glue on inner area to toughen up where the smaller base will be inserted.
Let dry & dry fit to get a feel for what the base needs
Hot glued together two pairs of gravel rocks
Painted up five pieces of gravel so they did not look like RL gravel.
Took a RL stick from bits box that looked like a huge club.
Abraded the grip as if worn down by strong stony hands.
Rubbed the club with the paper the coffee grounds were dried on to brown it slightly.
White glued the rocks to the base. Dry fit the fig JIC. Let dry.
Applied thinned white glue to the exposed grounds & applied static grass.
Applied thinned white glue to club tip [to soak through grass] and to where it would rest against a rock.
Fit the club and let the whole setup dry on the heat vent.
Photo shoot! {Mage Knight Castle wall was the backdrop}[/sblock]

The Dark*Sun Earth Drake is primed
img373.imageshack.us/img373/3412/earthdrakewipprimed7go.jpg
earthdrakewipprimed7go.th.jpg

Tried sculpting with plumbers epoxy. It worked well enough, but there is NO time to work with it.

plumbersepoxysculpting8bj.th.jpg

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/7883/plum...culpting8bj.jpg

img236.imageshack.us/img236/8286/plumbersepoxysculptingfin3kx.jpg

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/8286/pl...ptingfin3kx.jpg

Cleric of Zargon
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/9353/wipzargoncleric125fu.jpg
wipzargoncleric125fu.jpg

Pseudonatural critters [hill giant [Painted eye in chest & blue dragon[unmodified]] that will be residing in the lower levels of my adaption of B4: The lost city and the makings of a Zargon mini.

Remove ads